Meredith vs. the Water Balloon

• 2463 posts
    April 27, 2010 11:50 PM BST
    I lost. At Balcony Ball Drop today the balloon we thought would break failed to do so. Mistake #1 - Klutzy here tried tossing it back up to Matt, where I lost control and it almost went into the crowd. Mistake #2 - While holding the balloon for a second shot, it suddenly broke and gave me an impromptu bath in front of a large crowd. I was still wearing the wireless microphone equipment, too. Oh well!
    • 1912 posts
    April 28, 2010 12:02 AM BST
    Mere, now if you had said it was your freshly painted finger nails that caused the balloon to pop, then we would feel sorry for you. But since you didn't, that must of been funny to watch, lol. Love you Mere, big hugs.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • April 28, 2010 9:27 AM BST
    Meridith,
    What's a "Balcony drop ball"?
    How do water balloons fit into it?
    Are the balloons worn inside the bra?
    I'm at a complete loss!
    • 2017 posts
    April 28, 2010 1:34 PM BST
    At least it was a water filled balloon. Even you can't cut yourself or otherwise cause injury to yourself with that. Just embarrassment, but entertaining to the crowd I'm sure!

Nikki
    • 2463 posts
    April 29, 2010 12:02 AM BST
    Okay, an explanation.......Briefly......

At the museum we do this live science experience/experiment called "Balcony Ball Drop." The idea is to talk about energy, energy transference, the importance of experimentation, mass, weight, velocity, etc.......By doing so we drop a variety of objects off the balcony level which is approximately 24 feet high. These are all balls (make your joke here) but made out of various materials, such as a cloth ball. The audience has to guess the elasticity of the object and determine how high it will bounce, if at all.

At the end of the program we drop something interesting. At Halloween time we drop a pumpkin. We have also dropped honey dew melons, and even watermelons (a waste of food, I know). We usually drop two water balloons. The first balloon will not burst open if it is filled only half way with water, the rest with air. The second balloon is completely filled and makes a nice big "explosion." The crowd loves it, and it is fun to do.

I hope this helps clarify things!

Mere