Famous Trans People

• 2127 posts
    June 8, 2010 1:26 PM BST
    Can you think of any famous trans people? Let's make a list of them. Historical TG figures and those who are still with us. I'm especially interested in the latter so I can ask them for interviews.

Here's a few to get us started...

* Ru Paul

* Eddie Izzard

* J Edgar Hoover

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    June 8, 2010 2:39 PM BST
    Katie Hugs

Erm read, for everyones interest, have been digging out stories and updating the thread at regular intervals.

http://gendersociety.com/[...]820065&

I have about another 12-14 so far

Virginia (Charles) Prince

Stephen Whittle

Christine Jorgensen (dec)

Herman Goring (dec)

Pete Burns, (not a good icon) met him dreadful dress sense.

Caroline Cossey Author, Actress, (Bond Movie) super model
    • 1017 posts
    June 8, 2010 3:57 PM BST
    Hi Katie,

You might want to take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w[...]_people

Should at least give you a good start...

Best,
    Melody
    • 404 posts
    June 8, 2010 4:04 PM BST
    Here are a few to be going on with:

Chevalier d'Eon

James 'Miranda' Barry

Jan Morris

Jayne County

Wendy Carlos

Dana International

Romy Haag

There is not, as far as I am aware, any firm evidence that J.Edgar Hoover was trans........Truman Capote is supposed to have said something along these lines, is however on record as saying that he'd ," Say anything just to get Hoover mad!"

Lynn H.
    • 404 posts
    June 8, 2010 4:05 PM BST
    Wikipedia , amongst others, will give you a long list of both the living and the dead.

Lynn H.
    • 2627 posts
    June 8, 2010 8:10 PM BST
    Of all the famous trannys living or dead. I'd rather be a living one.
  • June 8, 2010 10:12 PM BST
    When I was aged 8 and as far as I knew I was the only boy in the world who wanted to be a girl when I saw Virginia Prince on a Friday night chat show. During her interview she said she was a "transvestite", that was the first time I'd ever heard the term.
    The local library had a set of Encyclopaedia Britannica with articles on transvestism and transgenderism which gave me my first inkling into who and what I was. And also the realisation that there must be loads of other girls like me.
    There was no internet or sex education then, well none for me anyway (yes folks it's true) so God bless Virginia Prince and the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
    That could be a good name for a really crappy band, but I suppose you'd get the arse sued off you!
    • 1912 posts
    June 8, 2010 10:15 PM BST
    So often the FTM's are forgotten and maybe not by choice he is famous. Chaz Bono

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 404 posts
    June 9, 2010 6:31 PM BST
    ............and while you're about it Katie, don't forget Lynn Conway and her site with its collection of T-people who've 'made it'.

ciao

Lynn H.
    • 252 posts
    June 15, 2010 2:24 PM BST
    I'll go way, way, way old school and say......Joan of Arc. Also, there are legends of a pope actually being a female. They called her "Pope Joan". So, two Joans. Oh, one more thing. Supposedly, there was a colonial governor in the 1700's who apparently lived fulltime as a woman.
    • 2573 posts
    June 16, 2010 1:45 AM BST
    Zoe,

http://en.wikipedia.org/w[...]arendon Portrait on page

"Born The Hon. Edward Hyde, the only child of Henry, Viscount Cornbury (1638-1709), eldest son of the 1st Earl of Clarendon, and the former Theodosia Capell (1640-1700), daughter of the 1st Baron Capell and sister of the 1st Earl of Essex, he was the nephew of Lady Anne Hyde, Queen Consort of King James II. His childhood was spent at Swallowfield in Berkshire and he matriculated at Oxford on 23 January 1675, a month after his father had succeeded as 2nd Earl of Clarendon, making him Viscount Cornbury...He became Governor of New York and New Jersey from 1701 to 1708...Later historians characterize him as a "degenerate and pervert who is said to have spent half of his time dressed in women's clothes"...Cornbury is reported to have opened the 1702 New York Assembly clad in a hooped gown and an elaborate headdress and carrying a fan, imitative of the style of Queen Anne. When his choice of clothing was questioned, he replied, "You are all very stupid people not to see the propriety of it all. In this place and occasion, I represent a woman (the Queen), and in all respects I ought to represent her as faithfully as I can."

In Canada, there is a major TG group known as The Cornbury Society.

http://www.cornbury.org/