Is chat dead?

• 1017 posts
    July 29, 2010 1:18 AM BST
    Over the last week or two I've gone to the chatroom and there's been nobody there. That's like five (5) times at about this time (5pm Pacific Time).

A friend in the UK who tends to check in a couple of hours earlier has told me she is finding the same thing.

Is everybody out enjoying summer evenings or is chat, like the blogs, a dying feature?

Best,
    Melody
    • 1912 posts
    July 29, 2010 2:56 AM BST
    I've always noticed the summer tends to really slow down, fall and winter are the liveliest.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 110 posts
    July 29, 2010 9:03 AM BST
    I've popped in a few times too only to find nobody in there. I hope Marsha is right and it picks up in the colder months
    • 1912 posts
    July 29, 2010 1:15 PM BST
    I decided to pop into chat last night from around 9:30 to a little after 100 and there were constantly 4 or 5 gals in there. When I shut my computer down at about 10:30, I still had the chat entry window open and it showed 4 gals were still there. I think what tends to happen is gals pop in to see if anyone is there and if not they leave rather than wait a few minutes for another gal to show up. So you get a catch 22 where numerous people end up just missing each other.

Something you may want to do is when you go into chat and no one else is there, notice how there are usually several lines of prior text with a timestamp. You might want to try typing something in that you were there and will check back to see if anyone else wants to chat in 15 minutes or so.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 12 posts
    July 29, 2010 1:26 PM BST
    I'm new here and was strongly advised to jump into the chatroom and not be a wallflower... yet I found myself being a wallflower in the chat since there was nobody there hihihih
    I assume it is due to the summer. All communication on the internet is at low fire during this season..well at least on my end

I hope soon the chatroom will be more lively too

Kiss

M.
    • 434 posts
    July 29, 2010 2:56 PM BST
    Melody,
    I have noticed that as well. Perhaps it is just the Summer.
    This site caters to people all over the world - it can be midnight for one chatter, and another is just finishing lunch at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
    • 1017 posts
    July 29, 2010 3:37 PM BST
    I wondered if it was a summer thing. I first ventured into the chatroom last december, so I have no history to draw on.

A while after I posted, I checked back in and there were a couple of girls there. Over the next couple of hours a total of maybe six or seven entered the room (with of course some leaving.) About half as many as last winter/spring.

Doanna, one of the best things about chat is meeting girls, from all over North America, the UK and the rest of Europe, and especially from South America, Asia and Australia. Some of the places girls I've chatted with live are nearly unknown to me other than high school geography and if they've had some sort of disaster that made it on the news. Love learning more from those who live there.

Best,
    Melody
    • 456 posts
    August 4, 2010 7:55 PM BST
    Hi girls - it seems ages since I got round to taking part in the forums. Chat room use was - at one time use by upwards of 15 people but there does seem to be a drop off - Having visited very rarely in recent months and having been a regular at one time I can only speak for myself and say that times have changed and so have my circumstances which is probably the same for many people. It is the summer when the chat room has always had low population but perhaps we need to do something about giving it another kick start.

We used to have a cheese and wine evening or something similar to encourage people to drop in and chat.

Perhaps we need other suggestions.
    • 2358 posts
    August 4, 2010 8:30 PM BST
    Sorry not been around, been a bit unwell, I will contact Lilienne and arrange a sunday night theme party, I organised several last year and they were quite popular, basically, we change our icons to reflect the theme, beachwear, pyjama/.nightwear. But dunno about you apart from having a couple of weeks in hozi, I lurk in the garden most evenings when its warm.
  • August 4, 2010 11:56 PM BST
    I'd love to have a sleepover, nighties, etc.