Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Technical Support » Apple vs. Realnetworks?

Apple vs. Realnetworks?

Tags : None
  • Hi all,

This evening I received a PM from a member asking me to join in the Chatroom. I replied that I would after I finished cooking my dinner.

As I was eating dinner, I tried to enter the chatroom but got the old problem of the blonde girl in the green dress not loading the proper files to let me in. This has happened before and I know the fix is to download the Realnetworks Player that chat requires. I'm doing that now as I type this.

But why do I need to do this? I was in the chatroom several times last week, but nobody was there at the time. Why am I unable to enter the chatroom now?

Well, earlier this week I downloaded Apple's latest QuickTime player. I can't prove it, but since Apple is publically warring with Real, I strongly suspect that they are disabling parts of Real Player.

Reminds me of when Microsoft would do anything to control the access of their corporate clients to other companies' products. (I got in lots of trouble by telling the Microsofties that I was going to impliement UNIX DNS servers instead of their NT based ones - never had a chat with my boss, his boss, his bosses' boss and the chief of IT before...)

Anyhow, if you download Quicktime and have trouble getting into chat, you may want to download a new copy of Real Player...

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      August 30, 2010 2:31 AM BST
  • ??? Isn't it Adobe Flash Player that you need for chat, not real networks or quicktime. But with that said, Adobe products take over your computer so I'm sure it is no better than the others.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      August 30, 2010 3:14 AM BST
  • Hi Marsha,

You're right, I meant to say Flash, not Real Player.

AARRGGGHHH! Just downloaded the latest Adobe Flash and I'm still not getting past the girl in the green dress with a red error message.

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      August 30, 2010 12:49 PM BST
  • There seem to have been a lot of issues with FLASH lately. Upgrading to latest version should fix it.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      August 31, 2010 9:15 AM BST
  • Hi Wendy,

I did download the latest Flash but still have the same trouble getting into Chat using Mozilla Firefox. Had no problems last week.

Luckily, I found I have no trouble getting in using IE or Chrome. (Had no reason to use them last week so I don't know if they were working then.)

Best,
    Melody
      August 31, 2010 12:25 PM BST
  • File under WTF....

Today I tried accessing Chat using Mozilla Firefox, which I could not do a week ago despite downloading the latest version of Flash.

Got right in, the blonde girl in the green dress did her thing with no error messages.

I've made no changes to my PC since last week when I got error messages every time I tried to enter Chat with Firefox.

Befuddled and confused,
    Melody

September 5, 2010 1:18 AM BST