A question about the skeleton

• 1017 posts
    September 3, 2010 8:08 PM BST
    Hi Marsha, Lucy & Lilienne,

Here's a question I've wondered about for a very long time. Do HRT, other hormones or herbals cause any significant changes to the skeleton? I've been told by some TS pre-op girls that they have experienced a narrowing of the shoulder circumference and a widening of the pelvis with a corresponding change in it's angle to the spine.

I gather from posts here that soft tissue, particularly fatty tissues, will be redistributed to a more feminine form. I have absolutely no personal knowledge about HRT, hormones or herbals, other that what I've read here, but I wonder if the girls I've talked to are deluding themselves.

Also, I wonder if genetic female ailments like Osteoporosis are either introduced or made more serious if one is taking feminizing substances.

Thanks in advance for any info you can supply.

Best,
    Melody

• 1912 posts
    September 4, 2010 12:53 AM BST
    Good stuff Melody. Everything I have come across says HRT will not effect bone structure other than helping prevent ailments such as Osteoporosis like you brought up. I don't know if there have been any studies on some of the people who have started hormones or growth regulators at younger ages, but I would think if there were any changes possible, young transitioners would be the ones to benefit. The widening of the hips in girls is hormonal and brought on at puberty. So once again I would think for any chance of skeletal change it would have to occur during adolescent growth years. I've heard some gals describe being on HRT as going through a second puberty, but I personally don't feel that way. I think it is more likely just the excitement that their transition is underway.

If you think along the lines of wearing a corset to reshape the ribs over a period of time, shoes can have an effect on feet, so I wonder if behavior like keeping your shoulders back can effect bone shape over a long period of time. I don't see the size changing, but possibly the positioning. I consider these to be mechanical changes versus hormonal. Again, if a child was to start hormone therapy prepubescent, I think there is a reasonable chance that their physical bone structure would develop differently. I just have not read anything on the subject.

As for ailments like Osteoporosis, my doctor had me get a bone density scan to establish a baseline for future tests. Osteoporosis is a problem aggravated by low hormone levels which women often face after menopause. Vitamin D and Calcium deficiencies can also lead to Osteoporosis. Therefore, once again lab tests to ensure proper hormone levels are important for more than just feminization. Men can also get Osteoporosis and hormones are often looked at as the cause, however women are 4 times more likely than men to develop the ailment.

The shifting of soft tissue such as fat is universally accepted as a change that "can" occur in those on HRT. Realize "can" and "will" is an individual thing, just as some will have little breast development and others can have significant. My waist has trimmed down some and I do have more in my thighs and butt then prior to HRT. More would be nice, lol.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2573 posts
    September 4, 2010 1:35 AM BST
    http://www.romantasy.com/[...]er.html

Rib-cage controlling corsets. My sense is that these people are quite informed on the topic of corsetry.
    • 1652 posts
    September 14, 2010 12:13 AM BST
    Hi Melody, I’m agreeing with Marsha. Hormones or herbs won’t cause significant changes to the skeleton.
    During puberty boys and girls experience different changes in skeletal structure, and girls gain fat where boys don’t, plus they start growing breast tissue of course. Skeletonly speaking, as well as it growing upwards and generally bigger, the hips widen in girls, and shoulders broaden in boys. HGH – human growth hormone works in syncopation with testosterone and oestrogen. Some years beyond puberty, the bones stop growing and become fused in place. Any further growth later in life from HRT is not going to happen. Hips won’t get wider, though you may get a little more fat there, if you’re lucky. Any shrinkage of bones is unlikely and at most would be extremely minimal. Cartilage and soft tissue might be affected, muscle mass very probably will be, and quite noticeably. This may account for changes in height, shoe size, even dress size. My shoulders do seem less broad than they used to be (and I am a size 12 now, previously 14), although I was never muscley, never worked out would be an understatement, the hormones have made a difference to my size and shape.
    I don’t believe the angle of the pelvis would ever change via anything other than improved posture or relentless torture.
    Changes from hormones are on the whole quite subtle, but a little less here, a little more there, and it eventually all starts to make a difference.

Osteoporosis is neither introduced nor made more serious if one is taking feminising substances, and quite the contrary if you are post-op. With only trace amounts of either hormone, to not take oestrogen would put you at high risk of developing osteoporosis.
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    September 14, 2010 1:16 AM BST
    Hi Marsha and Lucy,

Thank you for the info you've provided. You've both confirmed what I suspected about HRT/hormones/herbals and changes to the skeleton, but I had nothing to confirm it. You girls provide a very useful service in this forum and I, for one, really appreciate it.

Now the question is, do I disabuse my friends of their illusions? I think I'll just quietly let them be, unless they ask. If they do, I'll gently refer them to your responses.

Thanks again,
    Melody
  • September 14, 2010 1:31 AM BST
    In the UK Zoladex (Goserelin), which is an implant, is used as an anti-androgen. Its main use is for prostate cancer. One of the main side effects is bone pain, which I experience, especially lower back. So this could be concidered a drug that affects the skeleton but by all accounts if the drug is ceased the pain goes away.
    • 434 posts
    September 14, 2010 6:48 AM BST
    Melody,
    Hormones can have some influence on the rate of "bone maintenance" in older persons. The closer a person is to puberty ....the more probability that changes can occur. The pituitary and thyroid glands also have to be supportive to the process. This can be done, but can also create unforeseen problems ... as the many systems in the body are all interrelated.
    As you are aware, many "ovarians" can be "butt-ugly" and very un-feminine as well - especially as they get older.
    We should all be grateful that we been given the opportunity to "distance ourselves" from the male gender in what ever way , and amount, we are able to.
    The "Woman within" is what counts.

---------------------------------------------

a little quote from a Bob Dylan Song (It's all over now, Baby Blue) has always had meaning for me
    "Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.
    Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who's rapping at your door ... Is standing in the clothes that you once wore."