Pantyhose :(

• 2627 posts
    September 21, 2010 11:26 AM BST
    It's getting to be that time of year again when bare legs are not enough. Most of my slacks are lite weight so there not very warm when outdoors. So I wear pantyhose under them. Anything thicker is to warm for indoors.
    But I realy don't look forward to this. They allways seem to be pulling in one place or another. The lifetime of a pair is very short & there not cheap. Washing & drying is a pain. My bathroom will soon be over run with them hanging from every space I can find.
    I love winter clothes But hate winter hose.
    • 2627 posts
    September 21, 2010 11:57 AM BST
    I'm preparing to perform the pantyhose dance. For a package that reads "No Nonsense," it's ironic the nonsense it creates for me to even get into a pair. I hold the four-inch by four-inch square package in my hand and wonder how the contents could even begin to cover the entire lower half of my five-foot frame. As I open the clear, plastic pouch and pull out the weightless, silky material, I am struck by the resemblance of the Nude Beige Mist fabric to the casing of a hot dog. The Leg Sheerness Scale listed on the package informs me that the Great Shapes All Over Shaper style is nearly "very sheer." In nylon-manufacturer speak, this means the blend of nylon and spandex will deliver the least restrictive support. The package reads, "Now! Special massaging action rejuvenates and revitalizes legs." I need all of the support I can get and consider the massage a welcome bonus.
    The
    package promises "naturally beautiful legs with firm support" for my tummy and hips. The combination of beauty and practicality is all I need to get hooked by the advertising. Speaking of getting hooked, nylon is the material that's used for fishing line. As I plop down on the floor, I wonder if there's any connection to the fishing line and fishnet pantyhose. As I stretch out my right leg with toes squeezed together and pointing forward, I remember that fishnet pantyhose are not considered appropriate business apparel, and wonder why nude is a better professional choice. My hands crinkle the right casing with both my thumbs and index fingers in a movement that looks as if I'm playing the strings on a harp. I pull the beige sheath up over my toes and in one quick motion up over my right knee. The blend of 81% nylon and 19% Lycraâ Spandex ensures the durability of this seemingly fragile fabric and accommodates my sharp, quick movements. I repeat the same with my left side.
    Two deft squats, right leg up, right leg down, left leg up, left leg down, and I have completed the pantyhose hokey-pokey. For the next ten hours, I'm assured that I'll have comfortably slimmed thighs, tummy, and hips with "beautiful sheerness." I can't help but wonder if this is what it feels like to be a hotdog. Thinking of such, I'm reminded of the hotdog inventor that created American pantyhose in first place. It was not a woman. A man by the name of Allen Gant Senior can boast of this creation fit for feminine consumers.
    Not for Women Only
    Before the invention of the one-piece pantyhose, two-piece nylon stockings, along with a garter, were popular after World War II (1939-1945). These were cheaper than the
    formerly popular silk version. Lycra was not invented yet at this time, so the garter was necessary to hold the stocking in place at the top of the thigh. Pantyhose "replaced the silk stockings, which usually had seams, until the late 1960's," due to their sex appeal ("A Short History on Stockings." 2004. http://www.stockingirl.com/stockings.html). The stockings were "knitted flat and 'fully fashioned' which means that they were shaped to fit the leg like modern sweaters." By decreasing the number of stitches as the stocking was knit towards the ankle, a garment was created that was 'knit to fit.'"

Delving into pantyhose history, I found that hosiery is actually quite dated and women weren't its first users-especially for warmth. "Silk stockings were sometimes worn several pairs at a time in cold weather [by men.] In the 17th century, when large boots were in fashion, linen 'boot hose' were worn to protect the silk stockings underneath." The hosiery "had wide lace tops, which were turned over the boots. Men continued to wear silk stockings with garters until the end of the 18th century, but long trousers begin to appear and socks have been worn underneath ever since" (http://www.stockingirl.com/stockings.html). Most men that I know are probably grateful for the introduction of socks. I have to say that I am thankful too, because the idea of a man in lace-toped thigh-highs doesn't prove to be particularly appealing to me.

It was finally "in the 19th century that machine-made cotton stockings became available for women. After World War I (1914-1918) short skirts were fashionable and long silk stockings were worn again, [...] proving that fashion and skirt length [would] determine hosiery fashion." Not only does the rise and fall of the hemline impact hosiery fashion, celebrities do. "Supermodel, Twiggy, popularized pantyhose when she stepped out on a runway in a miniskirt in 1965. Since then, pantyhose [...] have become an indispensable part of virtually every woman's working or fashion wardrobe" (http://www.bookrags.com/history/popculture/pantyhose-sjpc-04/).

Who are some of the famous pantyhose wearers, and why did they wear them anyway? According to "Famous Pantyhose Wearers,"Joyce DeWitt, who played Janet Wood on [the] 1970s television show Three's Company, famously declared that she would not work barelegged on the show. Therefore, on all of her Three's Company episodes, she wore pantyhose or tights. DeWitt also endorsed a line of L'eggs pantyhose at one point" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantyhose).
    Another famous person who favored hosiery was Catherine Bach, who played the character of Daisy Duke on the early 1980's television show, The Dukes of Hazzard. She wore cutoff jean shorts, nicknamed Daisy Dukes,
    throughout the history of the show. I found out that "Network censors declared that Bach's character would be too racy if she went barelegged in her shorts. [...]" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantyhose). As said in Famous Pantyhose Wearers, "This popularized the wearing of pantyhose by female shorts wearers in the general population." Women weren't the only ones sporting nylon-clad gams. Consider Joe Namath, "the most infamous pantyhose wearer of all time." He did a commercial for Hanes Beautymist pantyhose, which featured the line, 'Now I may not wear pantyhose. But if Beautymist can make my legs look this good, imagine what they can do for yours!'" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantyhose).

Men and hosiery don't always agree with one another though. Consider one man's candid opinion on hosiery: "Stockings are the sexiest attire ever invented--the glimpse, feel, and removing of which are the biggest guaranteed turn-ons. Tights are quite possibly the least sexiest thing ever invented; passion killing, fun stopping, turn offs. [...] Never mind condoms, the pill, etc.-the biggest contraceptive just has to be the pantyhose

Published By A.L.Siler
    • 2627 posts
    September 21, 2010 12:11 PM BST
    I'm not doing all this.

I've put in a link 3 times but it doesn't show up.

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]ure=fvw
  • September 21, 2010 2:28 PM BST
    I love stockings. I love the whole business of putting them on and hooking them up.
    Tights on the other hand (leg?) although convenient are a complete turn-off.
    I usually just buy cheap supermarket brands as they don't seem to last very long.
  • September 21, 2010 2:29 PM BST
    I love stockings. I love the whole business of putting them on and hooking them up.
    Tights on the other hand (leg?) although convenient are a complete turn-off.
    I usually just buy cheap supermarket brands as they don't seem to last very long.
    • 1017 posts
    September 21, 2010 2:36 PM BST
    Helpful hint for pantyhose wearers:

If you are wearing very fine denier ones, try not to pass wind in them. They tend to balloon around the ankles...

Best,
    Melody
    • 746 posts
    September 21, 2010 7:57 PM BST
    ROFLMAO!
    • 2068 posts
    September 21, 2010 11:18 PM BST

OMG.....trust you to think of f*rting, Miss Anders.....LOL

Anna-Marie
    • 1017 posts
    September 21, 2010 11:22 PM BST
    My dear Ms. Trindall,

Been there, done that.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 181 posts
    September 23, 2010 12:43 AM BST
    Folks, I have arthritis , both forms of it , bad . Now to releive the joint pain, I wear "Support Hose". Sure , the cheap supermarket brands are sometimes made to where they "bind " . In the summer here , Virginia , it's hot and humid . Still, I try and wear dresses unless i have to do a lot of loading and unloading as I build meueseuem exibits and doll houses . Face it , as a guy, society told me I had to wear sticky neck ties . As a woman , I'm supposed to wear stockings , Panty hose or tights . We all have to put up with a discomfort of some sort . ellen
    • 9 posts
    September 23, 2010 6:56 PM BST
    I am one who loves to wear both pantyhose and stockings. I put on a pair of pantyhose again for the first time this past weekend and for me they felt so GREAT!!! This weekend I have bought myself and new pair of stocking and am so looking forward to putting them on. For me, I don't feel dressed unless I am wearing either a pair of pantyhose or stockings.