Mere's in London?

• 2627 posts
    September 24, 2010 6:09 PM BST
    I just got an email telling me she is in London & lost her wallet with all her money & cards. She needs $2000 to be able to get home. To please respond so that she can send details about where to send $$$.
    • 1912 posts
    September 24, 2010 10:13 PM BST
    I got the same message Karen. It really doesn't sound like what Mere would write. I think it is some sort of con. Also notice that the email doesn't say to you, for whatever reason it says to her. And why would someone have internet access but make a point to say they don't have phone access. Mere could easily contact several gals in the UK, or even Josie before us. Also notice the letter didn't say Hi Karen, it just says Hi. I think it is bogus.
    Marsha
    • 746 posts
    September 25, 2010 4:41 AM BST
    This is a joke, right Karen? Hey...wanna buy some land in Florida?
    • 2627 posts
    September 25, 2010 5:14 AM BST
    Her email was hacked into. I was on the phone with her 5min after getting it & she was at work in the US. We had a good laugh.
    • 2463 posts
    September 25, 2010 5:46 AM BST
    As much as I wish I was visiting the UK right now, I am not. As Karen pointed out, my Hotmail account was hacked. Even shut down! I have to find a way to restore it.

Damn it!
    • 746 posts
    September 25, 2010 5:52 AM BST
    (smile) Nigerian scammers...ever go to Tagged.com? Gawd...talk about a world full of "creative" losers! Been proposed to by at least 100 Moroccan, Ghanian, or Nigerian men, all saying about the same thing...they chat you up and before you know, they ask you for like $500 so they can fly to the US to meet you, or they need $250 for their son's tuition, etc...

I've had some fun at their expense though...I determine some Western Union outposts within say 200 miles of their home and tell them I am wiring the money and for them to go get it...THEN, when they go, it doesn't arrive, I tell them it was sent to another site maybe 100 miles from where they were and to go there...and on and on...too funny! (smile)

Then they get mad at me...imagine!!!! (smile)

Sooooo...wanna buy some land in florida?????

Traci
    • 2463 posts
    September 25, 2010 2:24 PM BST
    While I might not be in London, I will accept that $2000!
  • September 25, 2010 2:26 PM BST
    I had the message and sent you $2000 Mere. Ha only a joke I sort of guessed by the poor spelling and punctuation that it was no way you Meredith, plus whoever it was forgot that we in the UK dont deal in dollars unless its to buy massive amounts of oil. Which I unfortunately dont deal in nor drugs or arms.
    • 1980 posts
    September 25, 2010 3:10 PM BST
    Hi Meredith-

I'm glad you're really okay even if you're just stuck here in the good old USofA. I figured it for a scam, too, it just didn't sound like something you would write, although I did rush out & buy a $5 lottery ticket (a girl's gotta do her part) and if I win the proverbial big one, why then, I will send a chunk-o-money in your name to TGS.

And, Traci Lee, I love your idea for how to deal with those scams, how fun, the scammers scammed.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2463 posts
    September 25, 2010 3:59 PM BST
    Maybe not drugs nor arms, but, Alison, come on, come clean about your little side dealings. How else could I have gotten those great heels at such a great price?

Oh, sorry, shouldn't have said that.......

Mere
  • September 25, 2010 4:43 PM BST
    Glad to hear you're OK.
    To be a stranger, skint (no money), and stuck in the middle of London is not a position I would recommend to anyone of any age.
    I speak from experience as a very naive 14 yr old.
    • 2127 posts
    September 25, 2010 5:46 PM BST
    I think it was the way that $2000 was written as 2000$ that rang my alarm bells. Mere wouldn't be silly enough to do that, would she?

Hugs, Katie x
    • 734 posts
    September 25, 2010 11:46 PM BST
    Damn. I never received an email. You know you're way down in the pecking order when Nigerian spammers can't be bothered with you ...
  • September 26, 2010 4:59 PM BST
    Hi Mere,
    Glad to see you didn't actually loose your wallet.
    2000 dollars would buy a nice wardrobe however!

Hope all is well and have a great week ahead!

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
  • September 26, 2010 7:03 PM BST
    OK Brenda in London,
    OK I am heading to the UK in Nov this year, so i lost my wallet here in Canada so could you?......................

Anyway i get alot of marriage requests etc...... they all love me after 3 emails, they all are from the USA but currently working in Africa! Some even use the same pic! but most display their lack of grammer and geogrpahy of the US...

I am howver really heading to the UK this November, to see my daughter who is attending Uof Essex this year....

Brenda
    • 2463 posts
    September 26, 2010 7:11 PM BST
    OK, coming clean here (so to speak):

I am actually in Azerbaijan, shacking up with a hooker (sorry, Josie!), and really strung out on Red Bull. I need that $2000 now so I can bribe the cops.

There. Happy now?
    • 1017 posts
    September 26, 2010 7:27 PM BST
    Hi Meredith,

It's some kind of covert assignment for your new job, right?

Best,
    Melody
    • 746 posts
    September 26, 2010 9:48 PM BST
    LOL Rae!

Yes Brenda, you know the routine! I've also had a bunch that me to be the MOTHER!!! Gawdddddd!
    • 746 posts
    September 26, 2010 9:51 PM BST
    errrr....."that want me to be their mother" it should have read...
  • September 27, 2010 1:46 AM BST
    Dear all. Please help. Whilst wandering round the West Midlands Safari Park in my usual state of confusion some well meaning animal rights activists abducted me and set me free in the Peak district. They assumed I was a shaved monkey. All I have is the underpants I was wearing (I am minimalist) and my phone with internet that I keep in my underpants to make the battery last longer. Please could you send me 716,405 Bhutan Ngultrum so I can get a helicopter home. I'll see if it works for me .
    • 746 posts
    September 27, 2010 2:13 PM BST
    Alison...I have wired $5,000 US to a Western Union office in Belfast on Ferry Street...go there ASAP to claim your money...you do not need any IDs, just tell them you are the shaved monkey and it's yours! (smile)

Wanna buy some land in Florida?????

Traci
    • 308 posts
    September 30, 2010 7:09 AM BST
    Meredith,
    I do some posting and then turn to lurking, depending on personal things. You always seem to have some very interesting situations or stories that make me smile, just when I seem to need it.
    Huggs Mere......Tammy