Those damn pronouns

• 1017 posts
    September 28, 2010 9:24 PM BST
    Anybody else have this problem?

If I'm with a TG friend and she's dressed, I have no problem referring to her as "she" and addressing her as "girl."

If she's in male or andro mode I find myself bouncing back and forth between 'He/she" and "girl/guy." If we are in public, the male versions are obviously safest. What trips me up is if we are in a private space. I don't mean to, but I tend to go back and forth between who she is and who she is presenting as. Have embarrassed myself more than once with this "faux pas."

Short of giving myself a "dope slap" every time I get it wrong, I don't know how to keep my heel out of my mouth.

Best,
    Melody
    • 252 posts
    September 28, 2010 9:38 PM BST
    Melody,

I'd like to give yousome advice, but I do the same thing myself to my CD friends. It's confusing sometimes. When I mess up, I feel soooo awful.

Z
    • 871 posts
    September 28, 2010 9:49 PM BST
    hiya, I have friends who revert from one gender to another and i have to say i only refer to them as a singular gender of their prefered choice.
    x
    • 308 posts
    September 30, 2010 6:31 AM BST
    Melody,
    This can really present some problems, which most of us know all so well.
    All my friends that know Tammy refer to me as just that and the same back to them. All my gay an TG friends, just call me Tammy, they do not even know Tom,( me) he is totally oblivious to them, they only met him once, by request. Yes, it can get awkward, both ways. Now when I get the gender wrong, at the wrong time an place, I claim a senior moment, oooops I meant?
    Hugs TAmmy
  • September 30, 2010 11:25 AM BST
    Personal pronouns are important to me.
    I prefer "she" and "her".
    • 2627 posts
    September 30, 2010 2:35 PM BST
    She or her sure beats the hell out of "it