Do we need a community mascot?

• 2127 posts
    October 10, 2010 7:46 PM BST
    I've noticed that some communities have adopted mascots and that got me thinking about whether we need or want one and if so, what it should be. A small furry pussy cat, a big fluffy hound, a beautiful baby bunny, a teddy or something else.

As always, our members are the best experts to ask. Over to you...

Hugs, Katie x
    • 1017 posts
    October 10, 2010 8:35 PM BST
    Hi Katie,

I'd like to see a dual one: Caterpillar to Butterfly. Think the reason is kind of obvious...

Best,
    Melody
    • 530 posts
    October 10, 2010 9:25 PM BST
    I liked the butterfly idea as well, but fear it might have been over-used on trans sites already.
    I think perhaps for a mascot it ought to be something like a fluffy toy - I'm a kitten person myself. (Cyoot LOLs rule).

Along the same lines, it would be nice to have an identifyable GS emblem - something that could later be turned into a badge/brooch/pin etc.

• 2127 posts
    October 10, 2010 10:10 PM BST
    I s'pose that an animal that is half caterpillar and half butterfly would be a chimera of some sort. Might be difficult to actually get one, even a stuffed one.

For a mascot, a cuddly toy would be easier. Kittens are good but please keep the ideas coming girls.

And yes Sue, you're talking about a logo. I will look into that because I think it's time to make a clean start and lose the lady in shades.

Hugs, Katie x
  • October 10, 2010 10:31 PM BST
    A caterfly?
    A butterpillar?
    • 1017 posts
    October 10, 2010 10:35 PM BST
    Hi Janis,

"Butterpillar", wasn't that happened to Lot's wife? Oh, no it was salt not butter - not to be confused with unsalted butter...

Best,
    Melody
  • October 10, 2010 10:54 PM BST
    A very rare sighting of the elusive Butterpillar.............................sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!
    • 1017 posts
    October 10, 2010 11:22 PM BST
    Hi Janis,

Saw one just like that in my back yard - my hounds scared it away. Pity, Katie could have had it stuffed and mounted...

Best,
    Melody
    • 2573 posts
    October 11, 2010 12:37 AM BST
    It is hard to think of anything more appropriate than a butterfly as a TG mascot.
    • 252 posts
    October 11, 2010 4:39 AM BST
    A chameleon?

Z
    • 2573 posts
    October 11, 2010 9:08 AM BST
    Yes, Zoe, but being a chameleon all our lives is not our spirit or goal.
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:10 PM BST
    True chameleons are gorgeous creatures and would better represent the non TS membership of Gender Society. I think a butterfly is an excellent idea also. I can vision a chameleon looking upward at a butterfly like a fairytale elephant and mouse image where two unlikely friends find that friendship. Unfortunately most images show the chameleon trying to eat the butterfly. That is why I mentioned the unlikely friends image.

I think the cat or bunny idea is somewhat stereotypical as in being cute and cuddly. Both actually prefer to be left alone and tend to only show affection towards the one that feeds them. We don't need any signs of loneliness here.

I'm thinking Katie is actually looking at her next money making venture and would like something that could be sold in different forms such as stuffed animals and jewelry. I think any of the ideas mentioned by myself and others could be made to work.

Hugs,
    Marsha

Actually I'm editing this in after second thought. A chameleon actually represents TS's also because they show the desire to blend in.
    • 2127 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:26 PM BST
    Money making venture? That makes me sound so mercenary. I promise I'm not and that there is no financial motive in having a mascot. It's just something we've never had. Football teams have them. So do university quiz teams so why shouldn't we?

Remember girls, we're talking about a mascot here. Please don't confuse that with a logo (which we may also need soon).

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks and hugs, Katie x
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:39 PM BST
    LOL Katie, money making is a good thing! Just as long as you are not taking advantage of anyone and I don't believe that would ever be your intention.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:47 PM BST
    You should know me by now Marsha. I'd never take advantage of anyone. I can promise you that there are no plans for selling mascots on any shape or form on this site (not that it would be a bad thing).

I simply posed the questions, do we need a mascot and if so, what should it be? There is nothing more sinister going on. My motives are entirely innocent.

Hugs, Katie
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:57 PM BST
    I think the idea of having a mascot is excellent. And I am serious it would be an excellent way to make money. You brought up how sports teams have mascots and face it, you can't go to a town with a sports team without finding tshirts and what have you trinkets with the mascot emblazoned on them. A symbol like that is far better than a logo like the last TW tshirts had. Gals who are not out would never wear the old shirt, but something where they can identify with, your mascot, would be the perfect image and they would know the meaning without worrying about being outed.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2127 posts
    October 11, 2010 2:21 PM BST
    Well thanks for the idea but there are no plans for merchandise at this stage. Maybe we'll think about it again when we've got the other hundred jobs on our wishlist out of the way.

In the meantime though, please keep the ideas coming. Although it's perhaps not as poignant as a chameleon or butterpillar, I do like the idea of something that's soft and fluffy rather than lizardy or insecty.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 51 posts
    October 11, 2010 4:31 PM BST
    What about a Sea Horse, they're often quite confused in their gender roles, lol, as are penguins sometimes, or maybe a Lemur

Tara
    • 1017 posts
    October 11, 2010 6:39 PM BST
    Hi Katie,

It just so happens I have a coloney/nest/burrow (or whatever they are called) of ground squirrels living underneath the concrete slab under my house. They aren't as cute as tree squirrels since the lack the fluffy tails, but they are furry and I'd gladly sell them to TGS for almost nothing. They multiply in the hundreds at birthing season. Washed, blow dried and with falsie tail fluff they would make wonderful mascots. Perhaps Marsha, as a professional, could stop at my place here in California to gather them up, on her way to Thailand at the end of the year.

Always glad to do anything to help the cause.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2127 posts
    October 11, 2010 7:13 PM BST
    Thanks for the Seahorse idea Tara. I think there is already a TG society called Seahorses though. I wouldn't want to tread on their toes.

And yes, squirrels are nice creatures and cute and furry too. If you have an almost inexhaustible supply of them under your house Melody, perhaps we could do a deal. Do you or Marsha have any taxidermy skills though?

Also, they might be a bit large for key rings (unless we use babies of course).

Hugs, Katie x

PS I'm joking!
    • 1912 posts
    October 11, 2010 7:58 PM BST
    Thank God we don't have ground squirrels here in Savannah, just the tree version of the fluffy tail rats, lol. But I agree ground squirrels, flying squirrels, and chipmunks are some of the cutest creatures to inhabit our planet. If it wasn't for the havoc they cause, I would love to have more around. Oh geez, maybe they would fit in here, sorry about that idea. I do believe in trapping and relocating pests like that.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 171 posts
    October 11, 2010 8:34 PM BST
    I think that one of the hazards of a fluffy or cute mascot is that it may be too feminine (please stop - let me finish) when this site also exists for people for whom masculinity is a goal. Pity that Seahorses are already accounted for. Snails (less cute I acknowledge) are also an hermaphrodite and clearly illustrate that journeys take a long time. I think I'm partially joking.
    A logo however is easier. Why not a möbius strip? Something that encloses and protects with three dimensions and yet possesses only a single face and single edge.
    Rachel
    • 252 posts
    October 11, 2010 10:13 PM BST
    Okay...it might be a little 13 year old "Hello Kitty" idea, but a Mermaid? Or are legendary creatures not allowed? If they are allowed, I would like to make another suggestion...a fairy with butterfly wings.

Z
    • 2358 posts
    October 11, 2010 11:06 PM BST
    http://gendersociety.com/[...]asc=ASC its an attempt at humour but i will give it some serious thought

And an anthem to go with it http://video.google.com/v[...]207771#

• 252 posts
    October 11, 2010 11:06 PM BST
    I swear this is Cris' entry, not mine...

• October 11, 2010 11:42 PM BST
    Mmmmm.........interesting.
    Does it squeak?
    And don't say "No it barks!"
    • 26 posts
    October 16, 2010 11:23 PM BST
    What a good doggie. Gets my vote! LOL

Hugs

Debbie
    • 11 posts
    October 18, 2010 3:30 AM BST
    I say we just make Christine our Mascot. =P