Most expensive MtF surgery?

• November 4, 2010 11:21 AM GMT
    as I just completed year six of my transition and head into the seventh with still no idea when I will get surgery I'm in the interesting situation of probably being the most expensive MtF surgery ever done anywhere.

Whan all the wasteful appointments with doctors, shrinks, surgeons, endos, gender clinic are calculated and assuming my NHS will write the cheque for my seriously overdue surgery the total will not be much short of £75,000 or $125,000.

That's before legal costs and damages are added in and goodness knows that they will be.

If only everyone I have had contact with had just followed the HBIGDA, NHS, ECHR, UN, PFT, RcPsych guidelines I would have been finished done and happy at a fraction of the total.

FtMs probably cost more due to the extra number of surgeries they need.
    • 1912 posts
    November 4, 2010 12:58 PM GMT
    HI Rose,
    Like you, I started my transition nearly six years ago. I have heard it said often by mtf gals that they had $70000usd into their transition. My transition has been no where near that costly. I think what runs the cost of transition up the fastest is FFS surgeries. Although $42000 was billed for my nose, my part along with the insurance came to around $14000 as being actually paid out. Probably add another $2000 for CT scans and doctors visits that I did not see the bill for.

Psych visits usually run $125 per visit and I have had several dozen over the years so call that $4000. But my cost was $35 a visit with insurance, so maybe $1400.

Medication is very cheap, especially if you have prescriptions and insurance or national healthcare. I'm guessing maybe another $8000 for the 5 1/2 years I've been on HRT, again my cost after insurance being much lower, so probably around $2000 out of my pocket.

My SRS is scheduled for 5 weeks from today, so if you ignore the travel part, it is about $11000. Add another 4K for travel and call it $15000. My insurance does not cover SRS.

Because I have insurance and many of the bills for stuff like labs twice a year I never see. So maybe another $2000 you could expect to pay.

So it looks like the total cost of my transition would be somewhere around $43000 if I didn't have insurance. My out of pocket cost would be just over $20000 with the bulk of that being the SRS. To me that sounds like a reasonable amount.

Transition medical expenses, including SRS and any travel related expenses, can be deducted on our federal income tax in the U.S. So I am figuring it will save me between $3000 and $4000 on my taxes for this year.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• 252 posts
    November 4, 2010 5:01 PM GMT
    Gawd, did we ALL start six years ago? Weirdness. At this point, I have no desire whatsoever to do a complete running total of what everything has cost me. At the top of that list, however, would be FFS.....$26,000, followed closely by emergency vehicle, hospital, surgery, a second surgery, second hospital stay, extensive rehab for a hate crime committed against my blameless right knee by a bigot's crowbar.

Z
    • 530 posts
    November 5, 2010 2:19 PM GMT
    Mine took ten years, start to finish.

If they had not sent me to CX, I would have been sorted in less than three, total (including cost of the operation at the time) would have been less than £15k.
    As it is, I dare not work out how much extra all the additional assessments and interviews and meetings come to, but I reckon there would not be much change from £100k.

Ridiculous.
    • 136 posts
    November 27, 2010 3:07 AM GMT
    I lost track some number of years ago, but I would estimate my total expenses to total in the vicinity of $70,000 US.

Prescription medications (anti-depressants) and hormones, were mostly covered through my employer's health insurance.
    Therapy mostly covered by my EAP (Employee Assistance Program - Mental Health Benefit)

Without the benefits provided by my employer, my total cost could have easily come to $100,000 US.

Had I waited, my current employer health plan would have covered my SRS, but I chose not to wait.