Should I tell my children?

• 456 posts
    August 10, 2003 12:02 PM BST
    Thanks for the input girls.
    To answer Denise my wife is generally supportive in telling them.
    To answere Evlynn I believe my daughter suspects something but I am not certain about my son. I agree it is a difficult situation and I am still welcoming ideas and support. I thought that these forums were for that as well as general chit chat.
    Thanks girls.
    • 456 posts
    August 31, 2003 11:21 PM BST
    Back from holiday and still no further down the line - Thanks Jayne for your advice I will keep the secret for at least a while longer I think.
    • 1083 posts
    September 3, 2003 7:53 PM BST
    Tina, hon--

Thanks for the update--I think it wise. I also feel that you will know when the time is right--you have a good head on your shoulders!

Luv 'n hugs,

(Dr.) Jayne Sakura
    • 456 posts
    August 8, 2003 11:05 PM BST
    My wife knows and is generally supportive. Both of my children, son 18 and daughter 22 do not know. I am at the stage now where I am seriously considering whether or not to tell them - I am totally unsure. Generally we get on well but who can tell. The main problem is that they are both at home and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find time for me.

Am I being selfish or what?
  • August 11, 2003 3:24 PM BST
    Hi Tina,

I know exactly how you feel because I have been going through exactly the same deliberations and yes, it's because I am being selfish.

My kids moved out several years ago but my son often pops around without prior notice. On three occassions, he has appeared at the door when I have been dressed and my wife and I have now run out of excuses as to why I am not 'available.'

I feel that I would rather tell my kids about me being transgendered rather than have either of them thinking that I do not want to see them.

Looking back at some of the comments, the answer would appear to be to keep quiet. While I have no problem with being transgendered, I know that potentially, it could ruin our relationship for ever.

It's a difficult one to answer, that's for sure!

Hugs

Lisa
    • 456 posts
    August 11, 2003 9:31 PM BST
    Once again thanks for the advice girls.

Heather you are right as usual. Perhaps I am motivated by wanting to dress more but at the back of my mind I still feel I am not being true to myself and them by not telling them. I agrtee it is a very difficult matter which is why I asked for advice.
    • 456 posts
    August 12, 2003 11:11 PM BST
    Thanks for the further advice Heather - I am going on holiday in the next two weeks - just my wife and myself where we will probably discuss the matter - Thanks for your help and support,
    • 1083 posts
    August 18, 2003 6:13 PM BST
    Tina, luv:

Not sure if you will get this prior to your trip--I hope you do.

Motivation isn't the issue I get here. It's an honesty thing. That is commendable.

But sometimes, honesty carries a brutal price, and I am not sure it is one you need to pay right now. I would consider holding off a few more years, at least until they are both over 21. There is so much happening at 18, that the last thing a teen needs is their world shaken up over the fact that "the old man" is really the "Queen" mum. (I apologize if I have offended any of my UK sisters--the pun was just too delicious to leave alone...)

I will keep you in my thoughts while you wrestle with this--drop me an e-mail if you wanna talk.

Luv 'n gentle hugs,

(Dr.) Jayne Sakura
    • 456 posts
    September 3, 2003 11:45 PM BST
    Thanks for al your support Jayne it is much appreciated - will keep you appraised of the situation