Asking the right question

• 51 posts
    January 28, 2011 9:51 AM GMT
    I went to see my mate Clive last night, fully male on the outside except for some white nail varnish. Whan I arrived Pam (Clive's partner) asked 'Are your nails white?' to which i could respond, 'Yes' and that was the end of the conversation, although I could see Pam wanted to ask more, she looked puzzled and slightly put out. Of course what she meant to ask was 'why are your nails white?' to which my stock answer, whatever colour I'm wearing is 'because I ran out of clear'.

I often forget to clean my nails before I go out, and it sometimes causes that reaction, although it's the first time Pam's noticed. Very few people ever say anything, and when they do I have never yet had to say 'because I'm a transvestite', I think most of teh people who I know that notice just accept that wearing nail varnish is something I do, 'That's just Neil' has been a common explanation by friends to third parties.

hugs to all

Tara
    • 308 posts
    January 29, 2011 6:48 AM GMT
    Tara, I think it is all part of the journey. I often find it amusing when things like that happen. There have been times when I went to dinner in male mode ( well almost ) with my now wife, and because of things that I was doing for the entire weekend, I had long red acrylic nails on, well it just hard for anyone to miss those. Anyhow, I just get humor out of peoples reactions. Actually I think I find it educational.
    Although, one nite I was getting ready to help out at a show, and the door bell rang, it was a UPS delivery that I needed, so I answered the door not quite done with makeup, he looked, this does not faze me to say, it is a way of life, his response " what ever floats your boat " I just smile.
    Huggs...Tammy
    • 1980 posts
    January 29, 2011 9:33 PM GMT
    Well, okay, here's mine. It wasn't last summer, but the one before and I was standing in a line to pay for something, can't remember where, Target or someplace like that. I was wearing shorts and this gal, middle aged or so, asks me out of the blue, "Why do you shave your legs?" My response was, "Because they're mine." She didn't seem to be asking in a mean way and I didn't think I was too brusque, but my reply was sort of in a "why in the world would you ask?" sort of tone. I suppose I could have said something along the lines of being a swimmer or a serious bicyclist or guess I could have told the truth and perhaps enlightened someone, but oh well.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1017 posts
    January 29, 2011 11:40 PM GMT
    Hi Tara,

I had a friend who gave guitar lessons for a living. He used to use black nail polish on his left hand to make his Clapton & Beck riffs easier for his students to follow. After a while he began painting his right hand, too. When asked about it, he never mentioned teaching guitar, he's just say, "I like them that way." As far as I know, no one ever gave him any grief.

If you act confidently, most folks will just accept.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 734 posts
    January 30, 2011 2:55 AM GMT
    'If you act confidently, most folks will just accept. '
    Ain't that the truth? x
    • 1980 posts
    January 30, 2011 12:39 AM GMT
    If you act confidently, most folks will just accept.

Amen to that, sweety.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 29, 2011 9:46 PM GMT
    Hey Joni,

Ran into that to at the lake, my responce was "Cause I hate body hair and don't want to walk around like a gorilla! Hahahahaha. Honesty works!