Quesadilla Recipe

• 1017 posts
    January 23, 2011 8:49 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

So glad you liked them. I wondered if anyone would actually try them...

What I didn't mention was that I heat the corn beef in a frying pan til it starts to get a bit crispy on the outside before I put it into the wrap.

Congrats on getting the mod job for the new cooking forum. (Now if Cristine could get around to doing the same for me for the Transgender Movies Forum...)

When it's up and running, I'll see what I can contribute. (My recipes are all in my head, subject to random data loss.)

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    January 13, 2011 11:19 PM GMT
    Hi All,

Since there's no "Transgender Cooking Forum", I'll post this here.

Here's a very quick meal I often make for lunch. I've spent my whole life in California and Arizona, states with a huge Hispanic influence, population and history.

Start with a large (Burrito size) tortilla. I prefer flour, but corn is just as good if that's your preference. Preheat a large griddle, frying pan or grill pan on the burner at low to medium heat. (If I've grilled a steak the night before in olive oil and mushroom sauce, all the better.)
    Place the tortilla on the heated pan and flip just before it begins to brown. When the second side is warmed to the same level flip again and spread a generous layer of Mexican Cheese over it (I use a shredded 4 cheese blend). When the cheese begins to melt, sprinkle Chili Powder over the tortilla. Next, place a generous bit of deli meat (I like sliced ham, but beef , pork or chicken will work as well) on half of the tortilla. Cover the meat with a thin coating of salsa (I like Chili Verde, and if you like it really spicy/hot drizzle some hot sauce now). Fold the other half of the tortilla over the meat and salsa and continue to flip and heat til the tortilla is still soft but browned. Enjoy, serves 1 or 2, depending on hunger/appetite.

Anyone else make quick and easy meals?

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    January 23, 2011 10:08 PM GMT
    Hi Cristine-

How are you, girl? It's exciting to know we're getting close to launching a new forum. As far as a name, I'm afraid I haven't been able to come up with something nifty and catchy. We have had the following suggestions, though, "Apron Strings", "The Cookery Forum", "Good Food Forum" and some others I may have missed between the two threads we have going on the subject.

Would we be able to just name it the "TGS Cooking and Recipes Forum" or something rather bland like that just for now and then once up and running we could have a bit of a contest and people can submit suggestions and we can rename it with whatever seems the best of the bunch?

Thanks for all your help and for all the help and enthusiasm of those who have chipped in already.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1980 posts
    January 23, 2011 8:27 PM GMT
    Hi Melody-

Okay, I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical (corned beef hash wraps, how untraditional) but I gave them a try for brunch today and they were yummy. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2358 posts
    January 23, 2011 9:25 PM GMT
    I don't actually, have the codes to add or change names on the forums. I choose/recommend but its Katie that does the actual change.
    Still need a catchy name for the cooking forum, then its a go
    • 1017 posts
    January 23, 2011 10:18 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

How about "Cooking Transitions"? Just a suggestion...

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    January 23, 2011 9:11 PM GMT
    <lol> Yeah, I kind of figured you had to fry up the hash first, which I did. I know what you mean about recipes, almost all of mine are in my head and I hardly ever make a dish the same way twice in a row. I'm depending on you and all the other girls and guys to jump in with lots of ideas and recipes once everything gets set up.

My thoughts are that it will be for every level of experience, not only those who are totally at home in the kitchen, but for those who don't which end of the spatula to hold <lol>, so it will not only be about recipes, but also techniques and tools and how-to. Also I would like to include a wide range of recipes, from somewhat difficult, totally from scratch ones to ones that can be tossed together quickly from frozen or pre-made ingredients.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1980 posts
    January 14, 2011 3:58 PM GMT
    Hi Melody-

That actually sounds weird enough to be good!<lol>

I'm going to pop an email off to Katie and see if we can maybe get a forum for cooking and recipes and so on. Maybe we could even put together a TGS cookbook or something. What a great idea you had, girl.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1017 posts
    January 14, 2011 2:55 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

I've made them the two tortilla way using the fancy schmancy Quesadilla Maker I bought (you sort of have to), but cleaning the thing was a pain and they seem to taste better cooked on the stovetop. I use the folded single style mostly because it's easier to flip.

A variation, more a Wrap that a Quesadilla, is to use grated Swiss Cheese and Corn Beef Hash with hot Picante salsa, sounds weird but it's really good. When feeding guests at breakfast time I serve the wraps with Huevos Rancheros. Yum!

Best,
    Mellie
  • January 14, 2011 8:48 PM GMT
    By the process of magic realism I'm going to visit your houses and eat your wonderful food!
    • 1980 posts
    January 14, 2011 10:39 PM GMT
    The key's under the mat, girl, just come on in. Beer is on the top shelf of the fridge.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 14, 2011 10:26 AM GMT
    Hi Melody and Joni Marie,.

I love to cook too....anything from simple stir-fries to full roast dinners!

One of the tastiest has to be home-made pizza, although making the dough takes time, putting on all our favourite toppings is fun .... anchovies and olives for me! Fortunately no-one else likes those toppings, so I get all of mine to myself!
    • 1980 posts
    January 14, 2011 1:56 AM GMT
    Hi Melody-

I love your recipe, it's almost exactly how I do it, except that I use two tortillas, one on top of the other with the filling between them and then just slice it into wedges like a pizza.

And I think you have just come up with a great idea for a new forum for us girls to share recipes and cooking tips with one another. Personally I love to cook and I bet a whole lot of the other girls (and guys) here on TGS do, too. Have a great evening, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari