Health care for Transgendered Veterans

• January 22, 2011 7:37 AM GMT
    A while back in sept. I was trying to seek benifits from the V A med. Ctr.I was accepted in the work program to help find me work. The counselor told me right out to get a mans hair cut and buy a tie! I was so stressed out from this I stormed out of the office. My next appointment I had was a week later.I was not planning to go, But at the last minute i decided i was going. I dressed up nicely in a nice black skirt, pink blouse, and open toe heels. I went to his office and he never bothered to show.I went to my depression group therapy I had discussed this with a social worker. Then I filed a complaint. I had a apology ASAP. I stood up for what i believed in and that is US Transgendered Girls!
    I have opened the eyes of the V A medical Center. My Dr told me the other day they all had a meeting to go to on transgender issues this friday and it was MANDATORY.
    The V A Medical System feels they need to ensure that veterans with transgendered disorders will be provided with health care. Below is a Memo that was givin to me that was to be passed out at meeting on friday. Any girls here that are service connected needs to make a copy of this.

Fact Sheet - Health Care for Transgenderllntersex Veterans
    STATEMENT:
    The Department of Veterans Affairs' (VA) policy is to ensure that all Veterans who are
    enrolled in VA health care receive the hospital and outpatient care set forth in VA's
    medical benefits package. As all Veterans served this Nation with the same expectation
    of honor and excellence, VA strives to provide all Veterans equitable treatment
    respecting their honor by providing medical services with excellence. VA continues to
    examine the issue of health care for transgender and intersex Veterans, and hopes to
    have further guidance in the near future.
    FACTS:
    • The Department of Veterans Affairs provides health care to Veterans based on
    their military service to the Nation and sacrifices resulting from that service.
    Transgender and intersex Veterans deserve equitable therapeutic and curative
    health care and will receive the honor and respect earned through their service to
    the Nation. Threats, intimidation, or ridicule directed towards transgender or
    intersex Veterans will not be tolerated in any VA medical facility.

• Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity
    (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differ from that
    usually associated with their sex assigned at birth. Only transgender individuals
    experiencing clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational,
    or other important areas of life are diagnosed with the psychiatric condition,
    Gender Identity Disorder.

• The term intersex refers to individuals born with a reproductive or sexual
    anatomy and/or chromosome pattern that does not seem to fit typical definitions
    of male or female. People with intersex conditions are often assigned male or
    female gender by others at birth (e.g., parents), although the individual mayor
    may not later identify with the assigned gender.

• The term transsexual refers to individuals who take social or medical steps to
    transition to being the opposite sex. In Male-to-Female transitioning, medical
    steps may include feminizing hormone therapy, electrolysis, and surgeries (e.g.,
    vaginoplasty, breast implantation). For Female-to-Male transitioning, medical
    steps may include masculinizing hormone therapy and surgeries (e.g.,
    phalloplasty, mastectomy).

• It is extremely important that transgender Veterans who elect to medically
    transition to the opposite sex share that transition status and any related
    therapies with VA health care providers.For example, if a Veteran is receiving
    hormone therapy, there may be increased medical risks for blood clots, breast
    cancer, pituitary and liver problems, as well as cardiovascular disease. VA
    providers will work with the Veteran to address these concerns during the
    transiton.

• Currently VA does not have a national policy on the treatment of transgender and
    intersex Veterans and there is variability among VA medical centers. However,
    VA is currently reviewing a draft directive that will
    provide national guidelines onthe provision of care to transgender and intersex Veterans that is mindful of the
    contributions that they and other Veterans have made to our nation. In crafting
    its directive on transgender and intersex Veterans, VA will consider issues
    relevant to sex segregated programs and facilities in a manner that is sensitive to
    the concerns of all veterans.
    • 1980 posts
    January 22, 2011 2:54 PM GMT
    Thank you for sharing this information, Rondalynn. I'm a veteran, too, and this is very encouraging and very positive. Good for you for standing up and making your voice heard. Best wishes, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 22, 2011 11:46 AM GMT
    The US is signed up to the UN charter which states that member countries will strive to provide up to date and effective medical care for its citizens.
    TSism moved out of the shadows and into the light a while back so get a lawyer to read the UN charter to the VA.
    Although depending on what transgender means to you you may not need any help to continue to live your life.
    On the other hand if you class yourself as TS then you need medcial help to live a complete life.