Anyone Been to Belize?

• 2358 posts
    January 9, 2011 12:11 PM GMT
    Belize, Formerly British Honduras. 50% of the population is Catholic, the remainder made of Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists.
    A small amount of Hindus and Muslims, Multi cultural population, Spanish, Chinese Japanese. The Majority of the Population is made up of Black Creole, descendants of the Slave Trade. Homosexuality is Illegal in Belize punishable with up to 10 years in prison.
    Thats not withstanding that people emigrating, visiting Belize do not have the same rights as its own born inhabitants. I would not image it has a very high level of tolerance to accepting any conduct that is seen as a deviation from the perceived norm..
    • 1980 posts
    January 8, 2011 11:11 PM GMT
    Hi All-

Has anyone ever been to Belize? Especially in girlmode? My wife and I are seriously thinking of moving there when she retires in about five years or so. I'm already retired and between the two of us, while we could do alright here in the USofA, we could be more than comfortable in some place like Belize. One of the reasons, after quite a bit of thought and research, that we are interested is that it is an English speaking country. While I do speak Spanish, though not as fluently as I might wish, a country with English customs and language would be perhaps more comfortable for us.

The main reason I am posting and asking for any help is that I would like to know how comfortable the social acceptance is for girls like us. Has anyone vacationed there or lived there or have any first or even second hand knowledge of how things might be like for someone who wants to live fulltime or even just a good part of the time? My experience with other countries, and even the US, is that most people are fairly accepting or at least don't much care. But if there is any active dislike or hostility, which I don't really think there is, I'd would like to know beforehand.

Thanks for any help or advice, whether it has to do with being TG in Belize or any information at all about the place. My other interests, besides being my real self, have to do with flyfishing and perhaps learning how to sail a small craft. It's never to late to learn, after all.

My best to all of you here on TGS.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 9, 2011 11:42 AM GMT
    Hi Joni
    Only way we know of Belize is as a former British Colony country? Population is very mixed but lots of people from South American countries with not very good ideas about Tgirls and lots of the black people are from Africa where being T is dangerous.
    Lots of tourism development and leisure opportunities though may make for a very nice lifestyle.
    I'd check it out with a thorough investigation holiday before thinking of going to live there..
    • 1980 posts
    January 9, 2011 1:13 PM GMT
    Thanks for the replies, ladies. This is not some spur of the moment thought. My wife and I have already done considerable online research and if it should happen the move is at least five years in the future. I had not been able to find out anything about how TG's are regarded in the country, though to be honest, if it were some sort of Mecca for girls like us, I'm sure we would have heard.

Certainly before we actually moved we would visit for some extended amount of time.

Still hoping to hear from others. Thanks again for all your help.

Hugs...Joni Mari