Cooking and good food forum?

• 1980 posts
    January 18, 2011 10:13 PM GMT
    Hi Christine-

I for one would love to see such a forum and I'm sure several other girls and guys would as well. In addition, I would be happy to moderate it unless someone else is dying to do so. I love to cook and have done it for money...cook, that is, stop smirking Wendy...what I mean is, I've done it professionally. Cooking, I mean, stop it Wendy! Anyway, I've been meaning to contact Katie about it, but if you can get it done I'm pretty sure it will be a popular forum. I was even thinking we might at some point put together a "Best Of TGS Recipes" cookbook or something like that.

If anyone else is interested, please sing out and let Christine know.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2358 posts
    January 18, 2011 9:52 PM GMT
    I have seen several people posting recipes and cooking tips over the last couple of years, how many people would like to see a cooking forum and how many people would post regularly? The big question? who would be willing to run a forum like that, make regular postings and comments. I know from asking people in the chat room that have never been near the forums, read them let alone posted, say they would if there was a cooking forum.

If anyone would like to host such a forum, please message me or leave a message here and we will see what we can do.
    • 2358 posts
    January 18, 2011 10:20 PM GMT
    Hiya Joni, love the idea of the cookbook.

Could have votes for the best recipe of the month etc, and then publish them in frock or post it on the home page as a featured item. A sort of make it, try it and vote. lol

• January 18, 2011 10:34 PM GMT
    Isn't there a copyright problem with a cookbook. My recipes are all from published books and magazines. Maybe I have altered them to suit me better but basically they are still copyrighted to someone else...
    • 2358 posts
    January 18, 2011 10:44 PM GMT
    I would think it would be very hard to claim copyright, some recipes go back further than when the masses could read. Also if you add half a spoon of loving care to your recipe and someone else does'nt then its different. People don't even have to claim its their recipe, they only have to say I cooed this and used this and that..
    • 364 posts
    January 21, 2011 8:14 PM GMT
    Obviously, nobody has a weight problem. I am a bit underweight so bring it on.
  • January 20, 2011 10:30 PM GMT
    Students lunch- The Chip Butty

Go to the local chip shop,
    Purchase a portion of chips and a buttered roll
    Place as many chips in roll as possible
    Enjoy!!!!

WOW!!! now we're really talking good food, perfect served with a deep fried choccy bar!

Becca
    • 2358 posts
    January 20, 2011 11:27 PM GMT
    I'm advised if you just say how you did a particular dish, there would be no problem with copyright, if you copy and pasted it then is might come under plagerism an infringement of the publishers reserved copyright. but if the recipe was passed on by a 3rd person, who is to say where it originated from. So start up the forum, Joni can head it up and anyone wanting to be a mod to help,let me know, the idea being, nobody can be available 24/7 so ideally two mods..
    • 2127 posts
    January 21, 2011 12:42 AM GMT
    Okay, but what name have we all decided on?

KT x
  • January 21, 2011 1:46 PM GMT
    I can't think of an original name Katie, but I'm all ready to start cooking , and I've got the most important ingredient, a lovely frilly apron!

• 1980 posts
    January 21, 2011 2:30 PM GMT
    Very, very cute, Janis. You look adorable, hon.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2127 posts
    January 21, 2011 3:29 PM GMT
    I'd love it if the forum could give us a regular Food & Cooking column for Frock Magazine. Do you think that would be popular? If so then we'll do it. Would anyone like to write the column?

And as soon as Cristine and you all have decided on the name, I'll create the new forum. Just let me know.

Hugs, Katie x
  • January 21, 2011 6:14 PM GMT
    Something like "Jonis kitchen" as she's going to mod it ?
    • 171 posts
    January 21, 2011 6:55 PM GMT
    What about calling it 'Apron Strings'?
    • 1980 posts
    January 21, 2011 8:08 PM GMT
    Hi Ladies-

How exciting, a brandnew forum and I get to be in charge. Stand up straight there! No giggling! Your toque isn't properly starched! Where's your apron? MMMWWWAAHHAAHHAHHHAAA!

Oh just kidding. I hope this forum on cooking and sharing recipes and ideas turns out to be really great and as much fun as I'm sure we all hope it will be. And while I appreciate Janis's suggestion very much, it certainly isn't my kitchen, it belongs to all of us except I don't like to clean the oven. We'll have to draw straws or something for that.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 20, 2011 6:17 PM GMT
    From Scotland AKA "Home of the heart attack"

The deep fried Mars Bar.

Coat preferred choc bar, (milky way, galaxy, outerspace seems to be the favourite!) in batter and plunge into boiling fat until crisp.
    Then serve with chips (french fries) covered with salt.
    And watch those cholesterol numbers zoom!

Please eat healthily girls.
    • 1980 posts
    January 19, 2011 11:01 PM GMT
    Hi Katie-

I'd be more than happy to host/moderate a cooking and recipe forum if one is created. Of course if someone else has a burning desire (no pun intended) to be in charge of it, then that would be fine.

As far as a name, how about "Let's Get Cooking" or something like that. Perhaps we can create the forum and give it some sort of provisional name which could be changed later after some input from those girls and guys who are interested.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1652 posts
    January 19, 2011 11:46 PM GMT
    "The Cookery Forum" sounds good to me.
    I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
    Off to the kitchen...
    xx
    • 2127 posts
    January 19, 2011 3:19 PM GMT
    Sounds good to me. Now we just need someone to host it and some recipes (oh, and we need the forum too).

What do you want to call it? 'The Cooking Forum' or is that too bland?

Hugs, Katie x
  • January 19, 2011 3:58 PM GMT
    In my case "Burnt Offerings" would be appropriate, but something not too elaborate (no eye of newt or toe of frog etc) that's healthy and called "The Cooking Forum" would be welcome.
    • 1980 posts
    January 18, 2011 10:51 PM GMT
    Hi Josephine-

Good point, and probably something we would need to check into. But really, there are so many cookbooks and recipes and variations thereof, that the only way I can see we might run afoul of the law is if we copied and reprinted something word for word. But it is something to consider.

If there's anyone in the group who is knowledgeable about copyright laws, please chime in.

ADDENDUM: for what it's worth, here is relevant info re US copyright law. No idea about UK law.

Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.

Only original works of authorship are protected by copyright. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying it from an existing work.

For further information about copyright, see Circular 1, Copyright Basics. For details about how to apply for copyright registration, see the reverse side of this document. Note that if your recipe has secret ingredients that you do not want to reveal, you may not want to submit it for registration, because applications and deposit copies are public records.

Hugs...Joni Mari