What would you say?

• December 30, 2010 6:44 PM GMT
    I would say

"Keep the long Hair, but not because it is fashionable! (it was the 60's) .
    Admit your inner feelings to yourself and tell Dedra your inner secret
    that you are really a girl inside and truly need a friend who understands."

and
    "Buy and hold onto a stock called Apple. It can make something you will come to
    know as Transitioning alot more affordable".

MichelleLynn

• December 25, 2010 3:26 AM GMT
    I'm going to give a bit of a scientific anwser to this question. Becareful of the space time contunium because what you say in the past can affect you in the furchure. IDK what I'd say to my self if I was 16. Just like in the movie back to the furchure
  • December 25, 2010 1:56 AM GMT
    "Many years from now you are going to look at the polaroid photograph you've taken of yourself and realise it's not the amount of makeup, it's how you apply it!"
  • December 25, 2010 12:28 AM GMT
    I would say "All your mates know you are a complete homo and think its sad that you hide behind weight training rather than live as you want to"
  • December 24, 2010 10:18 AM GMT
    "Sell all of your possessions (including your Grandmother) and bet on James "Buster" Douglas to win against "Iron" Mike Tyson!"
    • 1017 posts
    December 24, 2010 6:11 PM GMT
    Hi Fiona,

I'd tell my 16 year old self:

1. Stop worrying about it, you are going to be this way for a long, long time and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Sell the comic book collection and buy the motorcycle.

3. Forget about going to UC Berkeley, they are going to reject your application.

4. When Marvel Comics asks you to submit samples of your artwork, do it.

5. Treat your friend George's cousin nicely, you're going to engaged to her in a couple of years.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 252 posts
    December 24, 2010 8:57 PM GMT
    One thing. I'd say "In a year, you will try and kill yourself. When you are in the hospital, they will assign a psychiatrist to talk to you. When he asks you what is bothering you, don't be afraid. Tell him you are a girl. It will fukc everything up for awhile, but you'll get to be you. By the way, your name is Zoey now. I hope you like it."

Z
    • 1980 posts
    December 25, 2010 12:07 AM GMT
    I think I would have said, "Don't worry. Be strong, be yourself." I would have told myself that highschool would not last forever, although it felt like it would and that was the only life I would have. Perhaps I might have said, "Those assholes who are tormenting you will still be the same ignorant, stupid, morons they are now when they become adults." And, do you know what? That's pretty much what happened.

I would say, "Stay true to yourself and who you are, no matter how painful and difficult it is. It's all worth it. You'll be a better person."

Ahh well. If wishes were candy and nuts it would be Halloween all year long.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • December 24, 2010 7:10 AM GMT
    "Girl, don't be ashamed of of who and what you are."
  • December 24, 2010 9:56 AM GMT
    Hi Fiona

What I would say to my sixteen year old self is :

“Please don’t struggle to be what you’re not in order to fit in, just be yourself. You are a girl - just be one”.

“Oh – and don’t join the frigging Navy in a bid rid yourself of those confused gender feelings, cos there ain’t no cure. Your Naval career will hit the rocks anyway when you go AWOL as Lana for a few Months”

Lana x
    • 430 posts
    December 24, 2010 6:57 AM GMT
    What would you say if knowing what you do now if you came face to face with your 16 year old self?

Myself I think I would buy myself lunch and try to make sure I understood what I had to say. I would explain to myself that I'm right. That what my 16 year self thinks is buried deep down is my destiny. To be bold and confident and explain that the only regrets that I have had so far is that I didn't do things earlier.

If I was bolder I might have taken steps to transition earlier. I didn't need to shave until I was about 19 -20. At that point I knew that I would transition, I just had to wait until I left the army. If I was braver I could have transitioned whilst still in the Army, they would have paid for it!

If I spoke to my doctor at 16 like I tried to do once (except his English wasn't great and I needed my mum to speak for me most times), I could have started hormones before my masculine jawline developed.

My sister understood, my brother wasn't fussed and my mother understands and we're closer than ever. My bestie is still my bestie. My friends are still my friends and I'm actually happy that I have nothing to hide.

All the things that have lead me to where I am now make me, me. I wouldn't be the same if I didn't experience the things that I did, but If I knew that my decisions are sound. That I like who I am and people like me for me.

The only person I really need to worry about is me. People come and people go, love them while you can, learn what you will but remember that only I can take the journey, so I better enjoy the ride.