*** NEW SITE TESTERS - IMPORTANT ***

• 2127 posts
    February 11, 2011 10:55 AM GMT
    Sorry girls, I should have explained how it works. Go to the front page of the new site (I don't want to publish the URL here because it's still under wraps, but you know where it is).

I have put a message about changing your password in red near the top of the page to the left of the login box. There is a link in that message that takes you to the forgotten password page.

On that page, enter the email address that is already specified in your account and you will receive an email at that address. Now, here's the bit I should have explained more thoroughly...

The email does not contain any passwords because what you are doing is resetting your password, not being reminded of what it is. Instead, the email contains a link that will take you to a page where you can enter a new password of your choosing. It can be anything you like or even the same password as you used before, but you need to enter it twice in the boxes provided.

Once you've changed it, you should then find that you can log in successfully once again.

Sorry for the confusion - my fault as usual.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 2358 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:30 PM GMT
    Is it my elevated status, lol, I'm not having any problems logging onto the new site
    • 734 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:26 PM GMT
    "...When you have already tried using your current password and the system doesn't accept it, you can then click on the "Forgotten Password" link to get a new one by email. .."

Just one hiccup!
    Had to sign in just now and, obviously, the password doesn't work. Followed your instructions. Got the auto generated email. Clicked the link. Got to the site...

... and then hit a brick wall! The email doesn't tell you what the new password is. The login asks for confirmation of the password before resetting it. Only you don't know what it is as it's encrypted!

Rae x
    • 1017 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:41 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

What worked for me was to reuse my new site username (the e-mail address I used to first log into it) and the password I created to go with it. Seems the problem is that the new site wants to use your old site username/password but it can't because you are already there as the new username/password. Using the "forgot password" thing just lets you relink your new site username/password so you can log into it again. (I hope that made some sort of sense...)

Best,
    Mellie

ps, I haven't forgotten the CW thing we talked about, life has thrown me a couple of curve balls over the last week or so...)
    • 2358 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:45 PM GMT
    Nope never got notification or anything. just clicked on name, clicked password and in, I had remember me on my browser from this site.
    Wonder is you copy your pass word here and paste it on the new site if that will get you in, or if you have had a notice to a response to a post by email if you entered from the link
    • 1017 posts
    February 2, 2011 4:35 PM GMT
    Hi Katie,

Thanks, that worked. I'm able to get in again.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    February 3, 2011 11:25 PM GMT
    Hi Jen,

I'll agree that in the great scheme of things this is not a big deal.

On the other hand, it makes being a "beta tester" just about impossible if you can't log in to test the beta site.

Finally, little glitches like this one, now resolved, are expected as part of being a "beta tester".

Best,
    Mellie
    • 734 posts
    February 11, 2011 4:47 PM GMT
    Lol @ Cristine! Oh, schadenfreude can be fun!

Katie, not your fault at all. I'll have a go later this evening ... xx
    • 2358 posts
    February 11, 2011 4:55 PM GMT
    Nah na nah na, I'm in. thanks to Katie and her patience with my blunderings. mind it looks like it has cost me my newly found elevated status, lol.
    • 2358 posts
    February 11, 2011 10:35 AM GMT
    With confidence I pulled up the new site, smiling, clicked log on, Bummer, It more or less told me I was an unknown.. So I did the same as Rae, duly sent of for a new password. seems my secret password is so secret, even I'm not allowed to know what it is.
    • 734 posts
    February 10, 2011 10:05 PM GMT
    Sorry, Mellie, you just get an invalid message. If KT's on the new site could you flag this up for me?
    Rae x
    • 1017 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:51 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

Try typing over the password field with what you were using as a new site password and again when it wants a confirmation.

Wish I'd written down what I did, but with my usual foresight, I didn't.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 734 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:48 PM GMT
    Don't think so Cristine. It should remember me as well. Therefore, after a certain period, it will ask you to log in and you'll need to request a new password - Ha! Ha!
    Rae x
    • 734 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:46 PM GMT
    No worries Mellie, hope you're ok.
    To be honest I didn't understand a word of what you said!
    The problem is that the site auto emails you the link for your new password but has - for whatever reason - decided not to tell me what that password is. So when you click the link it auto fills in the encrypted password - the one it's kept secret from you - and then it has the audacity to challenge you to re-enter the password you don't now in order to confirm it! Aaargh!
    Rae x
    • 2127 posts
    February 2, 2011 11:43 AM GMT
    My apologies are in order (as usual). One of the things that's been holing up the implementation of our new site was a problem with passwords. We need all of our migrated users to be able to gain access with the same passwords they are already used to using. However, this has meant changing the password encryption system that our new site uses so that it matches that in use on the previous site.

Well the developers have finally done it but as usual, there's a trade off. replacing the password system means that passwords created with the original system will no longer work but instead of affecting nearly 25000 membership accounts, it will only affect about 30. The thirty or so concerned are those good folk who volunteered to be our new site testers so once again, please accept my apologies.

There is an easy solution though...

When you have already tried using your current password and the system doesn't accept it, you can then click on the "Forgotten Password" link to get a new one by email.

Then you should have no problem gaining access.

Please let me know if you still have any problems and I'll try to help.

Thanks and hugs, Katie x
    • 734 posts
    February 10, 2011 9:40 PM GMT
    Definately Cristine. I've been sacked!
    The problem is the password not physically being included in the email - I checked three dozen times to make sure I wasn't being dizzy. I presume it was included in yours????
    Rae x