Imbolc

• 308 posts
    February 3, 2011 5:00 AM GMT
    Same to you Alison, but I must admit, I have never heard of this. So off to Wikipedia, let me know if this is correct.

Quoted from Wikipedia.....
    Imbolc (also Imbolg or Oimelc), or St Brigid’s Day (Scots Gaelic Là Fhèill Brìghde, Irish Lá Fhéile Bríde, the feast day of St. Brigid), is an Irish festival marking the beginning of spring. Most commonly it is celebrated on February 1 or 2 (or February 12, according to the Old Calendar), which falls halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox in the northern hemisphere.[1][2]

The festival was observed in Gaelic Ireland during the Middle Ages. Reference to Imbolc is made in Irish mythology, in the Tochmarc Emire of the Ulster Cycle.[3] Imbolc was one of the four cross-quarter days referred to in Irish mythology, the others being Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain.[4] It has been suggested that it was originally a pagan festival associated with the goddess Brigid, who was later Christianised as St. Brigid.

In the 20th century, Imbolc was resurrected as a religious festival in Neopaganism, specifically in Wicca, Neo-druidry and Celtic reconstructionism.[1][2]
    >>>>>>>>>
    Huggs Tammy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc
    • 1652 posts
    February 3, 2011 11:48 AM GMT
    Isn't Wiki great, yeah I had to look it up too. But if it's supposed to mark the beginning of spring then try telling that to the weather...

I'd also like to hijack this thread and wish everyone a happy (Chinese) new year!
    Chow mein tonight I think...
    xx
  • February 3, 2011 11:30 AM GMT
    Hi Tammy. Yes you have it right. Imbolc means "In the Belly" to wiccans, in that new life is about to be born and the ground has new shoots in the soil. We saw the first of the snowdrops in the high hills of Kinver yesterday, at our ritual. Beltaine was (and still is) celebrated across Britian and some of our name places reflect this. It is a fire festival held on May 1st.
  • February 2, 2011 11:23 AM GMT
    Wishing everyone a Blessed Imbolc. Love and Light to all..xXxXxXx