Credit Card

Tags : None
  • Hi All,

Has anyone managed to find a legal way to get a credit card in your femme name without having a legal name change?

Life would be so much easier if I could make purchases as me (Melody) instead of "him".

I don't want to defraud anyone, just be able to make purchases as me.

Is there a TG friendly bank out there that would understand?

Best,
    Mellie
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      January 15, 2011 2:36 AM GMT
  • I remember reading about Bank of Scotland issuing two cards to their CDing customers one with a male pic and one with female.
    I remember thinking how progressive it seemed.
    As a banks sole aim is attracting customers I'm sure there must be the equivalent somewhere in a country so vast as the USA.
    I agree it can be a bit of a problem and you can't really blame a sales assistant for doing a double take when a woman hands over her credit card and the signature is prefixed by a "Mr".
      January 15, 2011 5:15 AM GMT
  • I was lucky that when I got a card issued to me when I was in the uk they allowed me to put Ms FR Lochaber on it. I explained it to the woman in the bank why I wanted the female prefix and they were happy to do it.

The only trouble I had was when after months of using the local shops I ran out of money in my UK account and had to pull out my Australian card, which due to the fact I haddnt been home since switching to Ms still had Mr on it. I had to laugh when the shop assistant said to me, "I think you picked up your husbands card". I was glad she let me use it without me having to pull out my Aussie drivers licence!
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      January 15, 2011 5:40 AM GMT
  • "A leading Scottish bank is to allow transvestites to use two of its new high-security check cashing cards--one with a photo of them dressed as a man and the other as a woman. "If any cross-dressing customers are confident enough to go shopping dressed as a woman, it's possible for them to have a second card so that they can avoid embarrassment or difficulties when paying by check," a Royal Bank of Scotland spokesman said. The spokesman could not say how many transvestite cards had been issued."

This was from 1994 so I presume they still offer the same facilities.
    And it was very progressive for 1994 Scotland a country where in some parts they still lock up children's playgrounds on a Sunday.
      January 15, 2011 6:02 AM GMT
  • Before I legally changed my name I got a credit card in my female name. If you already have a credit card, most companies here will give you a second card in another name, linked to the same account. Since you're not actually opening a new account they don't need to do any checks, nor does the name on the card actually need to exist. I just rang them, asked for a second card, they said no problem, what name? It arrived 3 days later.
    So I spent a year or two carrying around 2 cards, one in each name, always being careful to use the appropriate card!
    It was great to be able to book into hotels (for my girly nights out) and use my female name over the phone and then present my female card when checking in en femme.
    I managed to never make a mistake using the "wrong" card or signing the wrong name, until the day after I changed my name. I bought some girly toiletries, used my girly card, and started to sign my old name! I only got a couple of letters down then quickly crossed it out and said, "Sorry I just changed my name yesterday..."
    Can't have looked good, but the girl in Superdrug was very understanding, although I think surprised to meet someone who'd actually changed their name!
    xx
      January 16, 2011 12:44 AM GMT
  • Hi Janis, Fiona & Lucy,

Thank you all for the information and accounts of your experiences. It sounds like the UK is the place to be to legally get a credit card in your femme name.

Anyone in the US have similar good luck?

Best,
    Mellie
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      January 17, 2011 10:43 PM GMT
  • Not sure that's right any more.

I have managed to get an androgynous name on one of my debit cards i.e. initials and no Mr but I couldn't get Ms or my femme name. I also asked about whether the name had to exist for an additional credit card holder explaining why and was told that they still do the full credit check for the additional card holders so the name needs to be real. She mentioned something about money laundering regulations.

Mind you I am planning to mis-spell a name and see what comes through the post for one of my older credit cards that I hardly use so I'll keep you all in the loop.

Unless anyone else has recent experience of this - if so which bank so I can join!

Hugs C x
      January 17, 2011 11:02 PM GMT
  • What about these "pre-paid debit cards" that advertise "100% acceptance guaranteed" in their blurb.
    There are no facilities such as overdrafts, interest payments etc, and you can only spend what you have less of course a monthly fee they will charge for doing effectively nothing! (Nice work if you can get it).
    The advantages of course would be having the card in my own name and (hopefully) avoiding "looks" from sales assistants, and it would be really nice to see "Miss" there.
      January 18, 2011 1:17 AM GMT
  • Hi All,

It seems from the posts here that credit/debit cards in the UK carry a gender specific prefix to the name, like Mr. Mrs. or Ms.

That doesn't hold true in the US, at least in my experience of 40+ years of having such cards.

Maybe I could get a card as "Mel Anders"?

Best,
    Mellie
      January 18, 2011 1:34 AM GMT
  • None of my cards carry a gender prefix, Melody; it varies between companies.
    Chrissy, it's unclear whether you are talking about your debit card or credit card, I imagine you can't get get a second debit card in a different name from your bank. Indeed, some institutions will accept a debit card as formal ID, but not a credit card. The rules in this country have not changed, and although I can't guarantee that all CC companies will do it, mine and others certainly will give you a card in another name with no questions asked. Quote from my CC website:
    "For extra convenience and flexibility, you can add someone else to your (insert company name here) account at any time. There are no forms to fill in and we don't carry out credit checks on the new person as they will be sharing the credit limit on your existing account."
    Only the original account holder has any control over the account, so if you need to ring them you can't use your femme name!
    xx
      January 18, 2011 12:26 PM GMT
    Meoldy Both my wife and I have credit cards from Chase. They used my credit history. Same with American Express.
    Have you tried for an additional card on your existing accounts?
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      January 25, 2011 11:01 PM GMT
  • Hi Gracie,

Is your Chase card as Mary Grace?

I have several Chase Cards/Accounts - they took over a couple of failed banks that I/my family had banked at.

Best,
    Mellie
      January 25, 2011 11:10 PM GMT
  • Melody,

I can't imagine any banks in the US ready to go there yet. Think you have to legally change your name.

Lori in Kansas City
      January 26, 2011 12:10 AM GMT
  • 2 2627
    I had one for Karen at one time. A debit card. But couldn't get it renewed after it expired. Seems they wanted her to fill something out.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 26, 2011 4:58 AM GMT
    Melody
    My computer has been in the shop for the past two weeks so I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

My wife and I don't use the same last name.
    To answer your question about having a card as Mary Grace. I don't - probably because I haven't gone shopping as Mary Grace,
    I'm chicken - I guess.
    American express for example allows for additional cards - costs though.
    Chase keeps sending me invites to bank with them and also they have a new card.
    I don't need any more cards.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      February 12, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
  • Hi Gracie,

Glad you are back online, I've missed you.

A couple of years ago I paid off all my balances on all my cards (I've way to many for Mellie and my male alter ego) so I'm just asking for convenience sake.

I bought a couple of tops online and told them to ship to Melody but bill my drab account. I won't go into detail, but it was a real problem involving some very embarrassing phone conversations.

Best,
    Mellie
      February 12, 2011 11:55 PM GMT