Name the New cooking forum

• 2358 posts
    January 24, 2011 9:16 PM GMT
    Can't wait. it sounds as tho its gonna be a gourmet emporium, lol .. I have a few of my own recipes to add once it gets going.
    • 1980 posts
    January 27, 2011 7:42 PM GMT
    You should have seen Graham Kerr here in the US, though I think he was actually British. He was known as The Galloping Gourmet and he poured as much wine into himself as he did the recipes. And no sissy stuff like messing around with glasses, either, especially as it got close to the end of each episode.<lol> We didn't drink much at our house, though I managed to get over that, and his antics just astounded me as a kid. I thought he was effin hilarious and so much fun and very inspiring. Ahh, the formative years. Oh, and he was actually an excellent cook, too.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 308 posts
    January 29, 2011 7:06 AM GMT
    I am sure what ever name is picked will be fabulous. But I think most in here might have watched the cooking show Nigella Bites, she has a way of mixing food, beauty, and sensuality, she is my favorite.
    Now, if some very ambitious, out going lady in here, that is a good cook, just might think of doing a cooking video, with there own twist for the forum and possibly start a career !!!!
    Huggs,....Tammy

http://www.foodnetwork.co[...]ex.html
    • 871 posts
    January 24, 2011 3:31 PM GMT
    I look forward to reading the receipe for the c0cktail stew.
  • January 27, 2011 3:04 AM GMT
    Cooks Who Care
    • 871 posts
    January 27, 2011 3:04 PM GMT
    Every recipe I know includes a bottle of wine, 2 if it’s a long one! xxx
  • January 27, 2011 4:34 PM GMT
    I remember Keith Floyd who always looked as if he'd had a bottle of wine before he went on air, and would then get through another during his cookery demonstration whilst ordering the cameraman to focus on what he wanted. I always imagined the director the control booth having a heart attack.
    • 1980 posts
    January 24, 2011 8:35 PM GMT
    Thanks, Cristine, for starting a thread for a name for the new forum. Usually, I'm pretty good at things like that, but so far haven't really come up with anything. And I applaud your call for authentic ethnic recipes, my grounding is in Tex-Mex cooking. I started working in my uncle's restaurant in San Antonio, sweeping floors and busing tables during the summers when I was about 12 years old and graduated to prep work and cooking. The food was primarily Mexican, that is, Southwestern, along with standards like burgers, steaks and so on.

BTW, Penny, most of my recipes do include a secret ingredient which is a good quality vodka, well chilled, measured into small portions and poured directly into the cook until well glazed. Actually, I hope we do cover pretty much everything, including cokktails, as well as main dishes, appetizers, drinks (both alchoholic and nonalcoholic), side dishes, festive party dishes, pastries, on and on. The only thing I ask is that we hold off for now until the new forum is established to save the trouble of transferring recipes from one forum to another.

Thanks to everyone for all the interest that's been shown and special thanks, as always, to Cristine and Katie for all the heavy lifting.

Hugs...Joni Mari

PS...No, I didn't mis-spell cokktails, the auto-censor wouldn't let me spell it the right way.<lol>
    • 1980 posts
    January 29, 2011 4:42 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy and Tammy-

Oh yes, I watch Nigella, too. She is so gorgeous and I love her accent (You Brit girls are probably going, "What accent? What is she talking about?"<lol>Most of the time I leave the TV in the den, which is where the computer is, on the Cooking Channel all the time. I feel like I know all the cooks and would love to be invited to dinner with them.

Well, as far as videos and so on, that is certainly an excellent thought. Personally, I can see a lot of possibilities for the forum as we go along, including a recipe column for Frock, perhaps a cookbook, a searchable data base to find recipes or ingredients and who knows what? Of course, that's all in the future.

As I mentioned before, even though cooking doesn't have anything to do with TG issues directly, I think it's a very nice and positive way for us to connect and get to know each other. Thanks for all the enthusiasm and support everyone has shown and as always, lots of thanks to Katie and to Cristine for all they do.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 25, 2011 10:20 AM GMT
    It is a nice twist on the Hank Williams song! 'Hey, good lookin', what ya got cookin'?' although I'm not sure it was food that was on his mind!
    • 1652 posts
    January 24, 2011 2:05 PM GMT
    The Gender Cauldron sounds more like a gender psychology forum to me...
    I'd prefer something plain and simple like, The Cookery Forum.
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    January 24, 2011 12:46 PM GMT
    Its been asked for, So we will provide it. But we need a good name for it. So suggestions please for a name.
    Joni is going to head it up, a very able and dedicated person, I would like another person to put themselves forward to help her out to maintain interest and keep it humming. perhaps someone who can cook ethnic dishes, Chinese, Indian, whatever. Authentic dishes, lol, not your one sauce does all western ideas of foreign cooking.

Only name I can realy come up with is ''The Gender cauldron'' but it does'nt realy denote its a cooking forum. Come on ideas please.
    • 1652 posts
    January 29, 2011 1:07 PM GMT
    Joni, The Galloping Gourmet was shown here when I was young too, I loved the show, always wanted to be the one he picked out of the audience at the end!
    As far as quantities drunk during filming goes, I think Floyd probably had the edge. Graham was by far the better looking.
    Nowadays, Nigella is my favourite too, thank you Tammy. Her innately sensual way of preparing food has been sent up by British comediennes, but I think she’s great. If I could be even half as voluptuous…
    That would be a great idea Tammy, (perhaps for the new site?) “how to” videos on the cooking forum!
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    February 1, 2011 7:04 PM GMT
    Hi Tammy-

That is so true, I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right. I so hope that this forum wil draw us together for fun and enjoyment and I do want it to be aimed at every level of cooking skill, from the complete novice to the accomplished cook. And I also hope we can kind of expand if from how to do it yourself to sharing great places to eat all over the world that are TG friendly or even owned or run by transgendered people.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 308 posts
    January 31, 2011 4:51 AM GMT
    Quite a nice thought getting to know everyone through a cooking forum Joni Mari.
    And actually the cooking forum maybe more TG related than we think, if we give it a thought from another angle. I am not sure of the number of girls that may not be able to cook very well that go through the heart ache of a broken relationship in the community. This could be a source of information that comes from other GS girls that have a wealth of great recipes that have been tried and tested.
    For myself I have always been a decent cook, but gosh, I have sure messed up my share of delectable dishes.
    Looking forward to this ....Tammy
  • January 24, 2011 11:39 PM GMT
    I like the "Cookery Forum", but we could go a little warmer with..."Our Neighborhood Kitchen". It might work for all types of recipies.
    • 1980 posts
    January 25, 2011 1:54 AM GMT
    Hi Lori-

Hey, I like that! "The Neighborhood Kitchen", it has a nice ring to it. Thanks for the idea.

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • January 25, 2011 3:26 AM GMT
    How about? What's cookin, Good lookin?
  • January 25, 2011 9:37 AM GMT
    I like Lisa Marie's suggestion.
    It's got all the ingredients.
    It mentions cooking and the girls here are good looking.
    • 1980 posts
    January 26, 2011 4:16 PM GMT
    Okay, I am so behind Lisa Marie's name for the new forum and will be sending it on to Cristine. While all the other suggestions were great, thank you ladies, this is the one. Oh, and I did check to see if there might be any conflict with the famous song by Hank Williams Sr, "Hey Good Lookin' " the first phrase of his song is, "Hey, hey, goodlookin', whatcha got cookin'?" Here, listen I'll play a few bars, I do it in G if you want to hum along. So anyway, it's not the same. The phrase, "What's cookin', good lookin'?" while probably based on his lyrics, seems to have passed into the language, at least in the US, as a sort of slang greeting, so no copyright issues that I can see.

I am so excited to see a new forum being launched, hopefully it will allow us to reach out and share with one another in a positive and fun way. To me eating and sharing food is a great way to get to know other people. It has probably been a part of human culture since the beginning of time. I can so see a bunch of people sitting around a fire in a cave and one of the women saying, "Oh this mammoth is so good. Let me tell you how I do it, I soak it in salty water with some elderberries and a few crushed up juniper twigs overnight and then I like to have the outside really charred but the inside just barely warm. Here, have a piece! Good, huh?"

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1195 posts
    January 25, 2011 11:07 PM GMT
    Lesson #1
    Find a pot that isn't burned.

hugs
    Gracie

PS I do Cantonese
    • 2358 posts
    January 24, 2011 3:22 PM GMT
    A point I was trying to make Lucy, cooking forum sounds, good to me, plain and simple, hope the recipes are not all gonna be plain and simple. as an after thought, anyone got recipes for coc ktails, drinks as well. can all be chucked in the pot on the forum.