Accessing Health Care

• 2127 posts
    March 9, 2011 4:56 PM GMT
    I just received the following communiqué from Tel Aviv in Israel. Maybe you can help...

Hi Gender Society,

I am a second-year student at Sackler Medical School at Tel Aviv University. We were asked to work on a social justice issue in medicine and present these issues to the school. I decided to look at social justice issues in terms of problems transgender people face in receiving medical care.

I wanted to register and join to post on the forums, but registration is currently unavailable. Unfortunately, I'm looking for responses as soon as possible!

I know health care for transgender people has its special difficulties, and I firmly believe that new doctors graduating from medical school should be made aware and sensitive to working better with their transgender patients. My mother had many transgender friends, and I was raised expecting that they would should have the same rights as everyone else. Sadly, as I got older, I realized that it definitely wasn't so. After hearing hurtful, disparaging, and misinformed comments from my peers and even my professors, toward the trans community, I really would like to educate both my colleagues and my mentor by bringing these stories to light.

My questions aim to find out about inequities transgender people face in their health care:
    ---
    1. What problems/injustices have you faced as a transgender patient in terms of receiving medical care?

2. What would you like young doctors in training to know in order for them to come out of medical school better able to serve your needs as a transgender patient?
    ---
    I've reached out to Gaycenter.org, GoTrans in Israel, and the Gender Identity Project in NYC; however I need more responses and would love to hear about issues transpeople face all over the world in terms of accessing health care.

Any and all help would really be appreciated.

Best, Kim