Sex Discrimination.

• May 30, 2011 6:53 PM BST

As a woman born and labelled as female can choose to get pregnant and have all the usual tests and check and whatever medication may be thought necessary for her and her unborn baby then have a baby without needing anyone's permission is it sex discrimination to make a person born and labelled as a man need permission from a doctor and shrinks before getting therapies and medication and eventual SRS?

This is really for UK and EU TS protected by the Sex Discrimination Act.

• May 30, 2011 8:20 PM BST

Your argument is badly flawed, A Natal Female can get pregnant and produce a child quite naturally,(without any medical intervention), A "man" cannot change gender without taking hormones and having surgery, so any comparison is irrelevant.

Huggles

Becca 

• 2358 posts
    May 30, 2011 11:04 PM BST

Does'nt matter whether you have Bird flu, menengitis , broken arm, whatever, you need to be examined, before getting pills and surgery, wonder how many TS have skirted round officialdom and regretted it.   rather an inane comparison, comparing us with natal females.    Gender dysphoria is a mental illness, until in my opinion one is diagnosed and accepts it and is sure they want to transition. to feel confortable and content. with the change.

• May 31, 2011 6:45 AM BST

gender dysphoria isn't a mental illness unless you accept that babies born intersex or missing fingers etc have an illness that needs input from shrinks.

Likewise women can get HRT estrogen medication without needing approval from a shrink but I being legally female with a birth certificate to prove I am natal female and needing the same hormones need approval from a shrink.

Rebecca's argumnet might be fine in the outback or in primitive societies but these days as soon as a woman gets pregnant she is entitled and encouraged to have all sorts of input from professionals.

a TS wouldn't regret transition but TVs and CDs would regret surgery and finding they miss their male bits.

• June 2, 2011 7:10 PM BST

The need for the input from profesionals is the same no matter, as Christine had stated. It doesn't matter what theprofesional is. I am on the fence about GID or transexualism as a whole being classified as a mental illness; this depends on the operational definitions one is using. There is little doubt that ones identity comes from something in the brain and thus would make it a something of a mental nature that is the realm of psychology. This means that if you are trying to change your birth gender you should have help from those who have studied in the area of the mind. Even though this frustrates me to no end I can't argue the logic behind the situation and can only hope for a way to speed up the process.

Rose I would also like to say that I feel children who are intersexed or missing any limbs should see a shrink as you put it. The reason behind this is the fact that therapists, in theory, are better equiped to give children in these situations the tools that they need to cope with society and the possible issues they may face from those who do not understand. I have always felt that one cannot control the actions of another so we must give our children all they need to cope with the world and control their own responses. I wish I would have been given such tools when I was growing up rather then having to create/find them myself. As to the intersexed defense you used. What I feel is wrong is parents and doctors who decide the appropriategender for he child. I think the very first thing that should be done is that when thechild is old enough to talk and reason on at least primitive level; the child should see a therapist to help them deal with the issue of gender and deciding what gender they feel more comfortable in. This shouldbe done before corrective surgery unless there is absolutly no other choice. This may mean that the child will be intersexed until well into their teen years but so be it.

Also the therapists and surgeons just want to make sure we are truly TS before we end up finding out that we made a mistake with surgery. Most want us to be happy and that is why they do what they do.