Are you afraid of losing your job?

• 2127 posts
    June 2, 2011 1:09 PM BST

Maybe this shouldn't come as a surprise but just talking to some of the girls here, I get the impression that many are on a knife-edge when it comes to employment.  Are you afraid of losing your job and if so, why?

Hugs, Katie   x

• June 2, 2011 5:12 PM BST

I am not fearing loosing my job,because I work at night by myself,and my job is in high demand,and so are old timers like me with a good safety record.I have traveled over 4 million accident free miles in 34 years of driving a truck.not counting any car driven miles.

• June 3, 2011 4:27 AM BST

I will almost definitely lose my job July 22 after Atlantis launches July 8, but I have known it was coming for several years. What I am afraid of is not knowing what to do next since I have been doing the same-same for so long. Should I look for another job or should I retire? If I retire, what would I do? Could I afford it? A trip to Thailand perhaps? Then what?

Sigh, Louise

• 871 posts
    June 3, 2011 3:15 PM BST

I cant remember what employment feels like. I'll just have to preside over sitting in the park and watching the working class rush by whilst I slurp back on my brown paper bag

This post was edited by Penny Zenny at June 3, 2011 3:19 PM BST
  • June 3, 2011 3:21 PM BST

No, I just want to retire in about 2yrs and start living full time as myself.  I'd love to do some other type of work as a woman of course but as to what type of work I've no idea.  I don't mean fantasy things like an air hostess! I've really no idea.

• 871 posts
    June 3, 2011 3:54 PM BST

Janis, Just as an idea for inspiration I find volunteering looking after disabled people and people with learning difficulties very rewarding. I find it is important to me to help people enjoy a sense of dignity, because isnt that what we all desire?

xxx

• June 3, 2011 4:05 PM BST

Thanks Penny, that's something for me to think about. Human dignity, personal and that of others is important.

• 2573 posts
    June 3, 2011 6:47 PM BST

I DREAM of having a job to lose.  And I have to get up before dawn to lick the road clean.  LOL.   

Truth be known I would worry about my job if I was working but not because of being TG.  It would be politics and Administrative crappe' which is far more important than a good job performance.

My career is such that I actually would choose not to dress en femme but the reasons are professional.  The community I serve already has a  lot of members with a great deal of difficulty with sexual issues and it would be self indulgent to present in a confusing manner to those I normally serve. 

There are a few jobs where this would not be true and I plan to explore them later for both myself and for clients who need empathic persons around them.  Why give them one more stress in their lives?

If I worked in a different area of my field, yes, I would have concerns about job security relating to my Two-Spirit nature.

This post was edited by wendy larsen at June 3, 2011 7:11 PM BST
  • June 7, 2011 1:56 AM BST

Hi everyone. I just started here and this'll be my first interaction. But, that's an interesting question you've got there. For me, there's not so much a fear of losing my job, but of the social consequences that would result if how I am was discovered at work. I'm the assistant foreman at the body shop for a trucking company in Pennsylvania, so pretty much everybody I work with is a middle-aged, somwhat hillbillyish, blue-collared man that likes to tear into semi trucks. I don't think anyone there would take too kindly to me if they found out and I would lose all respect and credibilty from the people I'm supposed to be in charge of and anyone on the ladder above would have a negative bias against me concerning everything. I'd pretty much be passively forced out the door myself I think. It's sad, but really how it is around here.

• 434 posts
    June 7, 2011 2:58 AM BST

Janis,

I'm sure you could easily find great employment in womens fashion....because you have such great taste in clothing.

Hugs (with admiration)

Doanna

• June 7, 2011 10:12 AM BST

Thanks Doanna,

To work in a dress shop as a woman of course would be a dream come true.

• 9 posts
    June 7, 2011 11:20 PM BST

losing my job ,yes big time ,I work in a high testarone  enviroment , If my co workers knew what i am . you could probly find me later hanging  from a I beam.

even thought i work for the peaple that pay my employer  to do the work. for them.  yes it hard being us at time.And being Both genders inside makes it confusing to others that know about it  and some time to  myself

• 40 posts
    June 11, 2011 1:39 AM BST

I've lost all of my jobs that I've worked as a woman.

I have problems with supervisors,restrooms,etc, you name it

I have it.     I'm now getting a small SSI check  and waiting on

when I turn 62.

• June 11, 2011 6:28 AM BST

I dont have any concerns about my job security at this time. 

I work in a field with a never ending supply of "inventory" since so many people refuse to spay and neuter their companion animals. 

My gender has never been a point of concern for anyone. I came out in the interview process and my coworkers, from kennel technicians to the CEO have been nothing but compassionate, affirming and utterly supportive every step of the way. 

I am now living "full time" and everything has been wonderful. My direct supervisors are even helping me strategize my time-off/sick time/FMLA options to get the most bang for my buck when I am in surgical recovery.  

I am blessed.