I told my mother!

• 195 posts
    September 5, 2002 3:46 AM BST
    Wow!! Heather well done I am so envious - I would have loved to expedrience what you have just enjoyed with your mum - She really is very special - Thanksfor sharing your time with us - and let me add another congrats on a great picture - you look fantastic.
    • 539 posts
    September 5, 2002 2:21 AM BST
    Thanks, girls.  If I had not found this website, and if I had not found the local TG groups, I would probably still be hiding, getting more and more miserable all the time.  TrannyWeb and the local TG groups made this wonderful visit possible.

I like the new picture better.  It was taken by a friend who is very good at photography under good lighting conditions.  I got three good pictures that day.  All were taken in Memory Grove, a park with some excellent backdrops.  (It used to be better, but a tornado ripped out half of the trees a few years ago.)

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    August 30, 2002 11:02 PM BST
    She arrived yesterday.  I went (dressed) to pick her up at the  airport.  Afterwards, we went to dinner and today we did some shopping at the mall.  So far, she likes her new daughter just fine.  It is wonderful to have a parent who is so tolerant and supportive.  She will be here a few more days, so if anything interesting happens I will post it here.

Heather H.
    • 195 posts
    June 4, 2002 5:14 PM BST
    How wonderful Heather

I would love to have experienced what you are going to in August - to be a duaghter - because I get the feeling that is the way your mother will treat you - and if she really is the wonderful woman you depict then I guess she she going to want to have some fun with her new "daughter"  - so shopping with mum - Oh you lucky girl - are you up for it.
    • 246 posts
    September 15, 2002 6:55 PM BST
    I HAVE ZERO CONTACT WITH EITHER PARENT, SLIGHTLY DISFUNCTIONAL THEY WERE BOTH OF THEM... AND I  DONT  CARE  ANYMORE!

I'M RID OF THE POISON AND WELL RID.
    (MMM, THAT WAS A WHILE AGO, I'M SUPRISED I REMEMBER!)
    ;D
    • 539 posts
    June 4, 2002 4:59 AM BST
    I finally got up the courage to tell my mother about my gender dysphoria.  Since she lives far away, I had to tell her over the phone.  Face to face might have been better, but it was not possible at this time.  I realized all along that I shouldn't worry about telling her, but it was still difficult and it took some time for me to work up the nerve to tell her.

As I expected, she was completely supportive.  She is one of the most tolerant people I know.  She was raised in a very conservative religious background and rejected it completely, especially the intolerant philosophy associated with that religion.  She simply said that she was glad to know me better and that she would support me fully in whatever I end up doing, even if it culminates in sex reassignment surgery.

She is visiting me at the end of August; I am looking forward to it.  I am lucky to have a parent like her who will accept me as I am.  It is truly unfortunate that more parents are not like that.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    September 4, 2002 2:28 AM BST
    My mother has now gone back home.  My time with her over the last few days was wonderful.  Except for a few visits with friends and family who don't know yet, I was in female mode the entire time.  I offered to go back to my old male self for part of the time if she wanted to spend time with the son she was accustomed to to, but she said that she wanted me to be comfortable, and I guess she wanted to get to know her new daughter.

On the way to the airport, we talked about it a little.  She said that for the first two days it was a little difficult for her, but she quickly became comfortable with the new me.  I am probably more pleasant to be around when I am free to be myself.

While she was here, we went shopping in a number of stores, and we went to a few restaurants, and she was not nervous to be in public with me.  She even gave me a few useful makeup tips.

At times like this, I realize how lucky I am.  I have heard horror stories about people's friends and family completely rejecting them when they come out - just when emotional support is needed most.  I am glad that did not happen to me; I don't think I could have handled losing her.

Mom, if you happen to see this post, thank you for your support.  It means more to me than you can imagine.  I love you.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    September 15, 2002 6:30 PM BST
    It is wonderful to hear that someone else has had a good experience with a parent.  You are lucky, Isobella.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    September 1, 2002 6:49 PM BST
    I have a brother, but he made my life hell growing up, and my relationship with him is still rather cool.  Other members of my family might be supportive, but I doubt any will be as supportive as my mother.

Heather H.
  • September 15, 2002 2:34 AM BST
    I told my mother
    When I was 14.
    I am now 20 and I have lived as a girl since I told my mother.  I am still waiting to have an op and transform, but I am a girl anyway.  Always have been.
    What did mum say?  She simply accepted it.  In fact I think she always new.
    How did it happen?  Solo mum comes home unexpectedly to find poor me recling in front of tv (television silly!) dressed in her clothes.
    I was embarrassed but she wasn't.  We had a loooooong talk.
    Then she helped me buy some clothes for myself.
    Then she helped me see a doctor.
    Then I started the changes with hormones and my mother came with me to buy my first bra.
    I think then I started living 100% as a girl.
    It has been hard but it has been worth it and I am very girly except for some wrong bits - which I am going to have fixed soon, I hope.
    So coming out - it was hard to get people used to me being dressed as a girl and I had to curtail my secondary education because the school system could not cope.  But I am at polytech now and getting educated and evryone simply assumes I am a girl.
    • 539 posts
    September 11, 2002 1:54 AM BST
    It was more joyful by far than going out dressed for the first time, but it was less scary.  I suppose with other family members and friends it might be more scary, but I know my mother well and I knew she would be accepting.

It was exciting, but the excitement passed rather quickly.  To me at least, it just became natural.  That is the same reaction I had to going out dressed.  I figured that the first time I went out shopping dressed it would be extremely exciting and scary, but it really wasn't - it just seemed natural.

Heather H.
    • 195 posts
    September 1, 2002 1:14 AM BST
    Hope you have a really fantastic time Heather
    • 246 posts
    August 31, 2002 5:16 PM BST
    THAT SOUNDS SO WONDERFUL HEATHER!!!

ONE THING I CANT DO IS TELL MY MOTHER AS SHE LIVES IN AUSTRALIA AND I HAVE NO CONTACT WITH HER... ::)
    • 539 posts
    March 16, 2003 10:04 PM GMT
    I hope it works out for you, Chrystal. My mother is still supportive; I talk to her frequently, and she seldom uses my male name anymore.

Heather H.
    • 539 posts
    June 1, 2003 3:31 PM BST
    I have come out to a lot of people now. At this point, most of my friends and family know, and I have 100% acceptance so far. See my post in this forum "Coming Out Goes into High Hear".

Heather H.
    • 1083 posts
    June 5, 2003 7:34 PM BST
    Heather, hon--

You are more blessed than you know...

Jayne Sakura
  • September 5, 2002 1:59 AM BST
    Yes, I like that smiling picture! As usual, I had to check out the full-size version - very nice. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Wink01.gif
  • September 4, 2002 8:16 PM BST
    Hi Heather

Terrific news. Your picture's even started smiling.

Hugs

Sarah
  • September 4, 2002 3:13 AM BST
    Heather, you are very fortunate. I'm glad everything went so well for the two of you.  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Smile02.gif
  • September 2, 2002 8:48 PM BST
    Now that you say that, I think you might've mentioned your brother in another topic, but that could've been someone else (sorry I couldn't remember).

Anyway, I was just wondering whether being an only child would make things easier or more difficult for trannies who try to come out to their parents.
  • September 15, 2002 9:26 AM BST
    Hi Isobella

Welcome.

What a wonderful story and what a wonderful mother you have, not too many people have those experiences. Treasure her.

Best wishes

Sarah
  • September 1, 2002 5:08 PM BST
    Heather, are you an only child? If not, are there others in your family who could be as accepting/supportive?
  • September 10, 2002 5:08 AM BST
    I would imagine being able to be yourself with a family member for the first time is probably as exciting as going out dressed for the first time - both scary and joyful! http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Smile01.gif
  • August 31, 2002 10:17 AM BST
    Heather

Congratulations. I hope all goes well for you. I'm sure it will.

Hugs

Sarah
    • 530 posts
    September 6, 2002 8:35 PM BST
    I'm really happy for you.Please send new mascara-bl**dy hormones.
    Lots of love,Sue.XX