Hi Yorkshire Girls

• 41 posts
    July 16, 2011 8:08 PM BST

Hi new to forum, is there any yorkshire girls on this forum too,i am from west yorkshire,where are you from Kiss

• 1652 posts
    July 17, 2011 2:03 PM BST

My father tried to indoctrinate me into believing that Yorkshiremen were the enemies of us Lancastrians. I think he was joking, and anyway I've never been xenophobic like that. Besides, I live in Cumbria now...

Welcome aboard, Sis!

xx 

• July 19, 2011 5:42 PM BST

aye up mi duck! 'ow's tha doin'? it's reet grand that yer 'ere

actually, that's a bit too close to the south yorkshire of Barnsley / Sheffield.  Leeds area is where I'm from.

• 41 posts
    July 23, 2011 10:17 PM BST

Thanks for that Anne,am doing all reet ,cock. not far away then,do ya know is there any more yorkie girls on here. 

Jacqui G

XX

• July 26, 2011 8:46 PM BST

maybe google should do a yorkshire to english translation for the above postings

"aye up mi duck! 'ow's tha doin'? it's reet grand that yer 'ere"

breaks down as follows:-

"aye up" - hello / hiya (also howdo would work suffiently well)

"mi duck" - "My Duck" - duck is a term of endearment used mainly in Sheffield / Barnsley part of yorkshire (south yorkshire)

"'ow's tha doin?' " - from "how are you doing" the letter h has always been an unnecessary extravagance in yorkshire (also the letter g at the end) so are dropped in all occurances.

"How are" is mangled to be "how is", and this is shortened as much as possible.  "Tha" I assume comes from Thee originally, which is a variance of You

"It's reet grand that yer 'ere"  - "It's really good that you are here" straight translation