Just come out to my older son

• 20 posts
    August 28, 2011 2:41 PM BST

Hi.

I have just been round to see my older son. We are not the closest of families and I am divorced from his Mum.

While we were talking he told me about how pleased he is with his life at the moment and is happy within his gender.

He is 43 and single and seems to be content to stay that way athough he has had relationships in the past.

While we were talking I told him that I was having counselling for GD. He at first didn't understand what GD means and then didn't believe me saying "but you are a bloke". 

I explained I hated being a male and that I had had counselling and that I may take hormones to feminise myself.

There wasn't any real reaction no hysterics, no condemnation, nothing really.

As I left he did say that if I needed to talk to him he would listen.

So have I messed it up?

Is there some way that I have missed of telling people and am I not being taken seriously? 

Does he understand the implications but like my partner doesn't think it is serious?

I would welcome members thoughts on their experiences when telling people.

Thanks and best wishes,

Sarah

• 1017 posts
    August 28, 2011 3:35 PM BST

Hi Sarah,

You took a very brave step. It sounds like he was totally caught off guard, but took it well. And he didn't condemn or reject you. All good signs.

I suspect he is trying to sort it out now. Give him a bit of time and then do take him up on his offer to talk.

Hope it all goes well from here, Mellie

• 20 posts
    October 15, 2011 8:02 PM BST

An update on my post about having come out to my son.

I have seen him twice since we spoke but on neither occassion has anything been mentioned. Though I don't know what to expect as I have my partner with me when we meet.

I am no nearer coming out to others as I was a couple of months ago, and I really haven't a clue how all this is going to end.

It is all well and good being able to dress as I want to while I am at home or when I go to a group counselling session but I need to be able to express myself on a more permanent basis.

To do this I have to change my partners perception of what I would like. However, I believe she feels I have reached a level now that I am happy with and that she needn't worry about me wanting to go further.

My everyday wear usually comprises some ladies jeans, ladies vee neck tee shirt, ladies blouse and knee highs.

The problem is I don't think any of this is feminine looking although I do get some strange looks.

I don't wear make-up other than for my group sessions or sometimes when I am at home. I do so love wearing my lipstick:-)

My shoes are a grey/brown casual lace up but I am waiting delivery of some feminine looking shoes.

Perhaps when my hair grows a little more  

Members thoughts or comments would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Sarahw