Is transvestism much more prevalent than previously thought??

• October 23, 2011 4:58 PM BST

A little food for thought on transphobia.

Whilst reading through a article on the Transgender Explored web site (http://www.transgenderexplored.com/index.html) I came across the following statement:-

Researchers estimate that the percentage of men who have cross-dressed is quite high, perhaps as much as 50%, with about 5-10% doing this on a regular basis.

So, I wonder if this might explain some peoples hostility to people who are open about their transgenderism or those unfortunate enough to be 'read' whilst out in the public.  If this many men have done it and suppressed their desire to do so, their transphobia might just be their own frustration at hiding, what they see, as something shameful within their own psyche.  Perhaps a retort of "It takes one to know one" might be a lot more accurate than we give credence for.

Your views would be most welcome on this.

Carol xx

This post was edited by Former Member at October 23, 2011 4:59 PM BST
    • 434 posts
    October 23, 2011 8:54 PM BST

Carol,
    What you say has a lot of truth in it. There are many reason for the “Transphobia” exhibited by a “set” of the Public who may well be frustrated at the fact they can not accomplish what they really want in life. It would only be natural from them to feel some hurt, frustration, anger, resentment, and even envy ... at those who have been able to go a little further than they are (or were) able. I don’t think these people actually feel a sense of shame or self-loathing at their “feminine feelings”- but rather, the shame and self-loathing is a form of self defense mechanism against the pain they feel at not being able to realize a satisfactory “outer femininity” to counter balance ( or validate) their “inner femininity.”
    Personally, my heart goes out to these people who are, for what ever reasons, trapped from within... and trapped from without.
    Perhaps it would a good idea to encourage more dialog with these Transphobic people on this site. It may be the only way for them to confront the real root of their pain.

Doanna

• 1652 posts
    October 23, 2011 10:56 PM BST

Oh yes!

xx

• 146 posts
    October 24, 2011 3:52 AM BST

I wonder if this topic should better be titled "a little food for thought on Transphobia ", rather than "Is Transvestism much more  prevalent than previously thought." from the Initial post discussion .

- I think Transvestism is definitely much more prevalent than previously thought.

- How this links to Transphobia, I am just not sure.There may well be a "set" of Transphobics that are transgendered. 

I find myself empathizing with Doanna in looking at this as a balance thing .

Reminds me of early childhood Once you learn to find your own balance , riding a bike becomes possible ... not much fun to begin with

The quote may come from different circumstances/contexts and have existing links , but I always like "Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery None but Ourselves can free our mind"

• October 24, 2011 10:38 PM BST

I seriously doubt that 50% figure but I do think that 50% of men do get excited looking at lingerie and that gives them internalised shame.