Changing names

• 126 posts
    October 27, 2011 5:28 PM BST

Having changed my name by deed poll recently, I seem to be nearing the end of notifying everyone.

The last to go are my car insurance company who said they couldn’t change my name until I had a driving licence in my chosen name, which I have received this week, my pensions guru because I cant seem to get hold of him, and finally my passport, and that’s the sticky one. It expires next year so I need to renew it or it will lapse, but that’s sort of ok because I’m not planning on travelling overseas any time in the foreseeable future. The problem is that I can change my name on the passport, but not my gender until I have a grs certificate, and I’m not expecting to get one of them sometime soon, so I was planning on doing nothing as it’s 75 quid with every change. Then I read the bbc web page and discovered that the UK passport forms are being updated to include options for same-sex parents, when the new forms will have "parent one" and "parent two" alongside "mother" and "father"  but more crucially for all of us, the proposals also include sex-free passports to allow transgender people to opt out of identifying themselves as either male or female. If thats true, it solves a lot of problems for all of us :-D 

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15150526

This post was edited by Mandy Watts at October 27, 2011 5:31 PM BST
  • October 27, 2011 8:41 PM BST

Yes, it can be a nightmare trying to remember who you need to notify and what evidence you will need to produce for them Mandy.
    My passport lapsed quite a few years ago and I never bothered getting it renewed (I had it changed when I made the transition back in 1975) and I spoke to the passport office recently and they said it doesn't matter that it is years out of date - just send it in and they will issue me with a new one.
    Funnily enough, my old one doesn't have anything on it that stipulates the sex of the bearer - so maybe it was different back then (or maybe they issued special ones to TS's which didn't specify sex on them).
    Good luck in getting everything sorted
    Carol xx