UK Passports

• October 31, 2011 2:55 PM GMT

I have just applied for a replacement passport (mine ran out many years ago, it was issued just after I transitioned in 1975 lol).

On the passport application form, in the first section, there is a box which asks you if you have changed your name which has to be filled in other than being changed upon marriage or by adoption - and asks you for your old name.  I was rather uncomfortable doing this to be honest as the person who verifies your application is asked to verify what you have written on the form and I didn't want the person who I was going to ask access to that information.  So I phoned up the Passport Office help centre for clarification and explained my circumstances and I was told that under the circumstances to leave that item blank, but if I had obtained a new birth cerificate, to just send that along with my application as it would help expedite the process.

Hope this might be of help to others seeking to have their passports changed or renewed.

• November 4, 2011 3:52 PM GMT

Very shortly becuase of the amount of travel i do i will have to renew my passport - i dont have the same issue as you carol .

But las ttime i went to atlanta - and it wasent me being difficult i just hate dressing as aguy - so i dress as much like a girl with out wearing girl things as possible , yes i know that sounds irish - anyway the day i flew over i had a black T-shirt on from evans yes a girls t-shirt with a round neck boot cut jeans dark blue and trainners - fairly unisex outfit i had deep shaved and applyed  alightly tinted mosturiser womens body spray and no perfume or other make up - i took the guy at Heathrow about 4 times as long looking at my passport photo which is a number of years old admitedly and back at me and even asked his boss / coleague whatever - to decide i was the person in the photo.

Yet there is nothign i can do about it i was carrying the letter form trns health but i was not looking forward to that conversation - and i dont pass - dont try to pass so for girls that do but dont have GRC or any of the other documentation it must be terrible. Should mention that atlanta the same thing happened.

Bexs