Will you live to regret it??

• November 14, 2011 12:05 AM GMT

The Independent newspaper has published a report on a M2F post op transsexual who is really sorry to have had her SRS.  She really regrets having had it done, despite one psychiatrist telling her she should not have it done - she just went ahead and found two that would support her request for surgery.

Full story at:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/when-sexchange-is-a-mistake-some-transsexuals-suffer-bitter-regrets-sarah-lonsdale-reports-1512822.html?fb_action_ids=2259211356171%2C2520145116669%2C2520079075018&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_ref=U-ZbOz4rXT1dXa4hT7IO3MRZ-CFCONX01FRS-338zyXXX%2CU-iLIGSAStZlc44qDsIy2jp2-CFCONX01FRS-33ajzXXX&fb_source=home_multiline#access_token=AAADWQ6323IoBAP4LRUf2okn7NkldXxgnIb3YxASd7mfvHuqvVk0ZCcTvR6ZAsDGTS8FfdZAzjjY2F9iQ7Ov0KMbGZCcSzZBqkloQatqZBSKkwUcQZAOlN5x&expires_in=5296

• November 14, 2011 9:32 AM GMT

This report was first published in 1993, hardly a valid comment on todays treatment. I also found the references to the "Albany Clinic" to be a blatent advert for probably the worste organisation in the tv\ts world! 

This is just another example of lazy, inaccurate, journalism that I've come to expect from the British press.

Becca

• November 14, 2011 12:15 PM GMT

It was good of Carol to dig this out, much appreciated, but must concur with Rebecca, all to often more so with our particular group, the knockers will sensationalise and exagerate the situation.    ''more and more young men coming forward''   They did.t say how many of the young men were diagnosed as being men and being rejected for treatment,   Wood and trees spring to mind.

What does worry me, publicity like this could harm and delay many deserving peoples start for treatment.

Also with new discoveries being made every day about DNA and brain matter formation, will it become the norm that people will be rejected for treatment if they fail to conform to physical traceable traits, who may still have conditions that have yet not been discivered, or just have a genuine Gender Identity problem????

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at November 14, 2011 12:20 PM GMT
  • November 14, 2011 12:24 PM GMT

Yes, but maybe the main point which I thought why the article was worth posting is that some people do rush into this and some do bulldoze their way through without proper thought or consideration.  Some bypass the RLE by going privately, or bypass it by sitting at home all day without venturing out into the big wide world.

The whole point of this weird and wonderful journey that we are on is to emanicpate us, not make us prisoners within the four walls that we live in.  So if this article makes just one person sit back and reconsider if this surgery really is right for them, then it was worth posting.

This post was edited by Former Member at November 14, 2011 12:25 PM GMT
  • November 14, 2011 12:33 PM GMT
    Cristine, Shye (Forums Admin) said:
    .........will it become the norm that people will be rejected for treatment if they fail to conform to physical traceable traits, who may still have conditions that have yet not been discivered, or just have a genuine Gender Identity problem????.....

Maybe if that ever did happen, then people who do have the physical traceable traits can be fast tracked through the system whereas people who still have gender dysphoria and present as the gender opposite to their sex at birth, then these people would still have to go through the same procedures which we all have to go through today.

• 2127 posts
    November 14, 2011 5:27 PM GMT

Even though the article was quite old, this kind of thing does still happen today.  One of our members here, transitioned about three years back.  To be female was all she ever wanted.  She took part in the forums and offered good advice to newbies.  She was often to be found in the chat room too.  Then she finally had the op and afterwards was elated.  She even wrote an article all about her transition which appeared in Frock Magazine.

Then, a while after that, without so much a goodbye, she disappeared from our site (as people sometimes do).

Well a few weeks back, I met a mutual friend who told me the news.  The girl we had known here for years, who'd had what I thought was a very easy and successful transition after having lived as a female for several years, had changed her mind and suddenly decided that it was not for her.

She decided that she wanted to go back to being a man again and I believe she has now done exactly that.

So, I guess these things can happen.  That is why doctors insist on us living full time in our chosen gender for some time before they will consider surgery.

Hugs, Katie   x

• 146 posts
    November 14, 2011 9:05 PM GMT

Thanks Carol ,KAtie,Cris,Becca , for this Topic.I think its a good thing for people to be aware of how views and practices have changed[ check the time stamps]  . Try to be be aware and objective about your own situation . There  probably is never going to a definitive "test" that assures a gender re-assignment will resolve a Dysphoric , we are still learning, .Its a feature of t'internet that Info doesnt just disappear into Landfill. it may be 18ish years ago

, the first post Article  dated 1993, but a large portion of the publics Knowledge is buried in a few fragmented bits on the media , The first time I saw a Transwoman [ Jan Morris 1970] on television. I also  remember seeing a documentary Return to Gender[2004] , about Reversions. I checked back on this on t'internet and found a reference to a Major Psychiatrist in the field of Transexuality at the time being sued , with the quote that 1 in 5 had some form of regret. http://www.uniquetv.tv/index.php/category/television-productions/factual  . My Hope is that in 2011 and onward ,people stop being overtly judgemental and Blame orientated to the past . Just have the simple Human Dignity to  try and understand the conflicts we all have inside us[not just Trans] in the present and do something about it..for yourself and those around you