Opportunity or Failuretunity

• 19 posts
    November 30, 2011 2:10 AM GMT

So, Fall classes at school are winding down for me. In my writing class, our final revolves around a paper in which we are to "set the record straight" about something--and it's prefered that we are somehow linked to this thing which we are "setting the record straight" for. Immediately, it popped in my head to write something about Transgenderism. There are people who don't understand it and are afraid of it (part of the reason we get such violence on us). I figured, it could be a fantastic opportunity to educate (considering we'll have to give a short presentation to the class about what we wrote our final paper on).

The dilemma I come to is whether to out myself before my classmates or not to do this. I mean, could always explain it as if a friend were a transgendered person... or I could stand before the class as Tara. And then my sister also goes to the same university--she might know someone in the class... but usually the odds are pretty slim that those dots will ever be connected.

I've been going back and forth: "It's a good idea!" "No, you could out yourself to the wrong people too soon!"

My only real holdout is that I wouldn't want it getting back to my family. They're all pretty hardcore christian conservative and may take it pretty harsh if they hear their son is a tranny. Living at home can really blow sometimes >.>

And I've never really been Tara outside my room so...

ANYWAY, I appreciate comments and advice.

• November 30, 2011 1:49 PM GMT
    Oh wow...I do believe this is an opportunity, to more than come out...You are in the perfect situation to educate, not just your class but a whole entire school if you really put in the effort to present the whole story, how this affects everyone, family memebers, friends, and most of all the transgender person themselves..There are sooooo many trans people out there who are hiding who they really are...You have the opportunity to open peoples minds by educating them, giving them the knowledge, take away the ignorance and the fear...As far as your family..they are going to know sooner or later, and it could be a large weight off your shoulders to be able to be truthful...Once you become this public, there will be doors opened for you...Others who will embrace you and help you....Did you know that there are grants and scholarships for trans people? There are also support groups in every state...You are opening the door to a world that from inside your tiny "closet" looks really scary...And granted, once opening that door, you will find adversity...but you are also helping others to be strong enough to step back and assess who they really are and giving them the ability to accept that they are not "freaks"...and maybe once you "out" there standing up for what you know in your heart is the real you, others will be there by your side saying..."hey, this is me too"... I believe there are a whole lot more people out there who are in bodies that do not match their minds... I say, if you are going to do this....GO BIG and educate many....
    • 146 posts
    November 30, 2011 7:19 PM GMT
    Hi Tara, I think Lori is right to say people are going to know sooner or later.My experience as a late in life transistioner is If you wait for the right opportunity it could be a real long wait , and all the time you wait theres this uneasiness and conflict with the inner truth. Practically it is inevitable you are going to make "mistakes" in expressing yourself as transgendered. You do need to go out into the big world first as Tara discreetly , before making any public statement though but be careful . It prepares you for real life , and gives you some realizations that you just cant imagine untill you go out as Tara . I think you should take this as an opportunity to think through how you might transistion and if now is the time for you. One thing I read recently is that once you say you are Transexual ..it can never be unsaid. Only you will truly know when you are ready and feel you can carry through and it is right for you.
    • 19 posts
    November 30, 2011 11:57 PM GMT
    Lori, your post is very encouraging! And I would absolutely love to present as Tara. However, Donna brings up a good point. I should go out as Tara and experience that before I do anything to drastic.

So, I'm leaning toward going as male to present, but my topic will still be about Transsexuals. I may still change this (if I can squeeze in some time to be Tara before I go). And I'd still love to hear any other opinions.

I really appreciate hearing what you all think about these things. Thank you for replying!
  • December 1, 2011 2:48 AM GMT
    Tara, in the end, we all have to decide what is right for us as individuals. There can be so much at stake. Whenever I read a post like yours, as probably all of us do, I feel it deep in my heart, and all the way to my bones. In the end, only you will know what's right, but know that we are all beside you. My experience has been that when you are young, you have so much less to lose, but have so much less courage, and when further along in life, you have much more courage, but have so much more to lose, (families grow, kids, financial loses, career). Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best, good luck to you.