How NOT to write a news story

• December 13, 2011 12:34 PM GMT

Headlines in the Dail Mail online:-

"Transsexual reveals how he’s spent £200,000 in 12 years transforming himself into a real-life Barbie… thanks to a few rich boyfriends"

The really doesn't know how to refer to her, sometimes it is a he and him, othertimes it is she or her.  The writers and sub-editors really need to subscribe to Trans Media Watch (http://www.transmediawatch.org/ ) to find out how to write a story

This post was edited by Former Member at December 13, 2011 12:35 PM GMT
    • 1652 posts
    December 13, 2011 12:49 PM GMT
    Real-life Barbie, hmm, debatable...
    In their defence, I think the article always refers to her as "her", or "she", when talking about the present, and only "he" when going back to her former life as Jason.
    Perhaps one of the pitfalls of selling your story, disclosing your former identity etc to one of the tabloids.
    xx
    • 146 posts
    December 13, 2011 8:19 PM GMT
    I think Lucy is right on this . The article writer made 2 clear sections , starting first Nicole ,she referenced and then secondly at Sentence "However, the road to Barbiedom was not a smooth one for Jason who, as a young boy.." referencing the past ,Jason he. . The only think I find objectionable is the short form labeling of the story in the link title..I never buy the Daily Mail [ only the telegraph on Saturday for the GK crossword and Magazine]..but will read it if available to educate myself as I think it reflects a lot of societys views.. Cor Blimey Av you read the Mail