Post opHormone help!

• February 11, 2012 3:03 PM GMT

Hiya!

I have finally got around to posting my queston!

The question is, I am a post op Ts female and i have recently returned to live in the UK after living 3 years in France and i have registered with a British doctor again.  I want to know what the best and correct dose of female hormone is for a post op ts female as no one seems to know what i should be on and i dont particularly fancy going to london to find this out as i have Multiple Sclerosis.

I have been on Estrava while in franc and i am now on 2.5 mg of Premarin.

I would value your thoughts and advice on this matter!

Thanks in advance!

Jayne XXX

Hugs!

• 1652 posts
    February 11, 2012 5:53 PM GMT
    Well I think the "best and correct dose" is what you feel suits you best. There are no rules, no guidelines about this. Yes you can find on the internet sites that suggest a certain dosage, I guess that's at least a starting point. I believe that whether you're post or pre-op is irrelevant to the dosage that you need. Only when you have achieved a desired level of feminisation should you consider reducing dosage to a "maintenance level". Contrary to popular belief being post-op does not affect your sensitivity to oestrogen; you don't need less to achieve feminisation just because you are producing less testosterone.
    How long have you been on hormones? Are you happy with the level of feminisation you have achieved? These factors should affect the dosage that is suitable for you.
    I'd strongly recommend switching from Premarin (which carries a high risk) to bio-identical, 17-beta oestrogen (which carries a negligible risk), for example Zumenon, Elleste solo, Estrofem or perhaps Oestrogel. 2, 4, 6mg in tablet form, maybe more, it all depends on the above questions, and your feeling of well-being on said dose. These are ball-park figures to begin with, it's largely trial and error really.
    Let us know how you get on.
    xx
    This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at February 11, 2012 5:55 PM GMT
  • February 12, 2012 1:29 AM GMT
    Hiya Lucy!

Thanks for your reply and i didn't realize that the dose you took post operatively was not affected by surgery but then again i am nearly 20 hears out of date and to be honest i have just ignored the whole issue once i had completed my treatment. Ive been on hormones for 18 years i think and as to whether i am happy with the degree of feminization as you put it i had never really thought about it. In general yes i am happy with the way i am except one thing and that is still having to keep facial hair under control which is amazing as i hardly had any when i changed over at 22. Although this problem seems to be just me for some reason? As i have never seen it mentioned by anyone else. What do you think?
    Yes i was a little concerned about the risk factors with Premarin althoughi had been on 2.5 mg of it soon as i had surgery and just accepted it as the norm. Obviously i need to do a little more investigation and need to as you say find a starting point.

I was on eleste solo for 3 years in france but felt that one of the side effects of facial hair was not going to help me.

Thanks for your post and i will keep you updated with whats happening.

It is quite sad that no one in the medical profession in general really know around here.

Take care!

Jayne

Hugs XXX
    • 1652 posts
    February 12, 2012 11:43 AM GMT
    It's not just you Jayne. Facial hair growth in women does often get worse with age. Increasing oestrogen intake I'm sure won't help. Electrolysis will of course, not a practical option for me at the moment, but my doctor prescribes me Vaniqa cream, which is great stuff and I'd be pretty desperate without it.
    After 18 years you probably don't want to be on a high dose of hormones, and you certainly shouldn't be taking Premarin long term, for more than just a few years even.
    If you had no specific problems with Elleste (I don't think anyone does) I'd urge you to give that another go, it is so much less risky to your health. Wean yourself off the Premarin, gradually decreasing your dose, then start on 2mg of Elleste (or any of the others I mentioned which are just different brand-names), maybe increase to 4mg after a month or two and see how you get on. Sudden changes in hormone types or dosage can cause effects which lead some people to believe that the new dose/type is simply wrong for then. Allow your body to adjust slowly and gradually to the change in med's.
    With regard to your last sentence, I would say that's probably the same the world over!
    xx
  • February 12, 2012 6:28 PM GMT
    Thanks Lucy!

Thanks for your information and i will be seeing my doctor shortly about the hormones so will tell them what i think is the right way to go and i will be asking to try Elleste at a slightly higher dose than i was on before!

I will keep you posted how i get on for sure!

Yes damned electrolysis again! I have recently just started again after absolutely years and had forgotten how much of a pain it is whilst it is being done and for severel days after! lol I laugh but it is not in the slightest bit funny!

Once again thanks for taking the time to answer my post and i will keep you updated!

Thanks!

Jayne XXX
  • February 13, 2012 2:13 PM GMT
    I am one year post op and for last two years my levels have been almost zero T and about 300 E and that with just about.75mg Estrogel a day.
    Hairyness might be the old problem of excess E being converted or compensated for by T production other than testicles?
    If you are worried about Premarin then try simple Estrogel
  • February 13, 2012 7:44 PM GMT
    Hiya Lucy!

Just to let you know that i went to the doctors today and have now come off premarin as this does seem to be the right thing to do given the risks and your comments on this made it a pretty final decision. The doctor has put me on 2mg of Elleste solo per day and wants me to see how i feel on this. The doctor thought that the 4mg i suggested might be a bit too much and he says its possible he will send me to an Endocrinologist in a few months to check things out. Im happy to be off Premarin so thanks for the advice and ill see how i go on the new hormones.

I also asked for the Vaniqa that you suggested might help with the facial hair growth but im afraid he is not allowed to give it to me on the NHS so might have to go private for that. Have you any suggestions on how i could go about that?

Once again thanks for the advice and making me think about things again!

Hugs!

Jayne

XXX
    • 364 posts
    February 13, 2012 7:52 PM GMT
    Inhouse Pharmacy stocks Vaniqa (Eflora)

Hugs
    Joanne
    • 1652 posts
    February 13, 2012 8:04 PM GMT
    I get Vaniqa on the NHS, as do several of my friends. I wouldn't have thought that should differ between PCT's but I don't know. You might mention to him that you know several other girls like you who get it (and have done for years).
    At nearly 20 quid a tube (and that's the cheapest I've seen it) and considering you have to use it continually, it's going to end up being expensive.
    If you can't persuade your doctor to give it to you then stick with electrolysis.
    Oestrogen doesn't convert to testosterone by the way (only works the other way round), and it's unlikely that your body will try to compensate for lack of T for very long after SRS; things soon settle down. Facial hair in your case is almost certainly nothing to do with hormonal imbalance.
    xx
  • February 13, 2012 8:56 PM GMT
    I'll bet money on oestrogen converting to testosterone being the reason lots of lesbians get moustaches and pseudo-PCOS.
    • 1652 posts
    February 13, 2012 9:30 PM GMT
    Well oestrogen doesn't convert to testosterone so you'd lose that bet, Rose!
    Here's my point of reference showing the synthesis of steroid hormones:
    http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/map/map00140.html
    Lots of lesbians get moustaches do they? Straight women get them too. Are you implying that lesbianism is caused by excess testosterone?
    xx