Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » USA Forum » Insurance: Covering the cost of Transition

Insurance: Covering the cost of Transition

Tags : None
  • Hey does anyone in the states know which insurance companies will cover the cost of transition. I've got blue cross and blue shield but I'm in the dark if they'll cover it

      March 7, 2012 2:02 AM GMT
  • Hey Masi, When i was with them here in Minnesota they did NOT cover anything having to do with gender related transition, including mental health. this was 4 years ago. I think it has to do with what state you are covered in as to weather BCBS will cover these things. Back in 2008 the american medical association changed their position on this and so it might be different now. When I was covered by them I found all the info on this in the book that they sent me every year. It wouldn't surprise me if you can now go on line with your Group # and find this out. Best of luck, I hope they do.
    Luv, KariAnne
      March 7, 2012 6:38 AM GMT
  • Hi Masi. Do you mean therapist coverage? Hormone coverage? I would think any issues that might come up where a general physician were to see you WOULD be covered. Hormones will probably be 600 dollars a year or less. Therapy unfortunately probably has very limited access to coverage. Hope I'm wrong on my last prediction. hugs J
    Jessica Nova
      March 7, 2012 12:55 PM GMT
  • Hi all,

    My wife and I just got United Health Care ppo from her work and I found stuff online however can't make heads or tails out of it.

    Anyone familiar with this insurance coverage when it comes to transitioning and the psychologists and psychiatrists?

    Live in St. Louis, MO.

      April 11, 2012 6:54 PM BST
  • 95
    Hi Masi,
    I have Harvard-Pilgrim (I don't know if they insure outside New England area). They say they will not cover "transexual surgury including related drugs or procedures". Have to ask them about HRT, does not specifically say "NO" to that but could be included with transexual related drugs? Grey area for sure...I'll let you know what I find out...
      April 14, 2012 12:50 PM BST
  • Don't know of any insurance company that covers transition services. HOrmones, if used to deal with another medical condition may be covered, but not if the doctor indicates it is for transition related treatment.
      June 22, 2012 3:39 PM BST
  • A frined of mine before she lost her FT job at Sears when her store closed Anthum BC/BS thorugh them did but indivigual coverage they won't I don't know WHY the double standard but...
      July 17, 2012 6:11 AM BST
  • The reason its not available is because transphobic lesbian nun Janice Raymond told the US Government that TS and TGs is just queer perverts.
      July 17, 2012 4:10 PM BST
  • I'm sure I read something somewhere that its being included in many policies and don't forget that its 100% tax deductable expense in the states.
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      July 17, 2012 7:43 PM BST
  • The city of Cincinnati recently began covering Transgender care.  I don't work for them, so I don't know what they do or do not cover.

      October 3, 2014 3:11 PM BST