Grandparents

• 1198 posts
    August 3, 2004 8:57 AM BST
    After chatting with Mark Robinson lastnight the son of the transwoman on the TV docu i got to thinking about our Grandparents. I mean do they know about you? or are they unaware of you and who you have become? and how they reacted?.
    For me all my grandparents are no longer here apart from my nan, i will not tell her as i was and still am the apple of her eye being the eldest. I know if i tell her it will upset her a great deal and might cause something nasty to happen.So how is it for you all?........Love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 3, 2004 9:38 AM BST
    Cerys, i think if my mum's mum was still alive she would be pretty understanding, i mean my cousin came out to her about being gay and i think if i have got this right she said"life producess's many mystery's that we cannot answer, if you are happy being who you are so be it" so my cousin did and has enjoyed his life.
    So i hope to think my nan would have accpeted me for being me........love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 3, 2004 9:47 AM BST
    Funny isn't it Sandra how our granparents think that if you haven't got a GF/BF that you haven't found the right one yet or the the automatic answer is are you gay/lesbian. i am not saying all of the older generation are like that, what i am saying is that is how they were brought up to belive. Like your grandmother thinks "one born male or female, nothing in between is admitted".........love JJ xx
  • August 3, 2004 10:05 AM BST
    None of my grandparents are alive. My one granny died already before I was even born. My both grandfathers were odd figures. My left granny understood me and made the doll for me I loved so much.
    I think too, that we are born men and women. But some of us who have been registered as male at birth are women in reality and the other way around. And of course a few of us are both or neither gender.

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    August 3, 2004 10:49 AM BST
    Sandra you are so absolutley right, in 50 or 60 years peoples prespective outlook on gender issue's have changed dramaticaly. As you pointed out and without going into the religious side of thing's, our grandparents were brought up by the bible and up until the late 30's early 40's the era was very much based on the Victorian way of life.
    People were put in mental assylums for being gay/lesbian or for Xdressing and alike, so we have come along way since our grandparents early lives, but we must remeber there is still that bit of stigma on us from that generation and todays generation.......love JJ xx
  • August 3, 2004 12:35 PM BST
    Yes Julie...

That much stigma that I don´t shout loud which surgery I´m going to in October. . Actually only one female work collegue knows about it.

Laura
  • August 3, 2004 9:20 AM BST
    Julie

None of my grandparets are still alive but if they were ...

No I definitely wouldn't tell them. My grandfather was a Squadron Leader in the RAF (I come from three generations of RAF flyers right back to my great grandfather who was in the Royal Flying Corps) So, no prizes for guessing how he would have reacted.

My other grandfather was a strange, vindictive man who blamed all the world's problems on "Coons, Wogs and Queers" so I don't think he would have understood either!

I lived with my maternal grandmother when I was a very small child for a couple of years, and although we were very close she was from a generation that couldn't (wouldn't) have been able to get it's head around these things, so maybe it would be better not to burdern her with it. Life was confusing enough for her near the end, she couldn't get her head around my fax machine- she really believed the paper actually rolled up and went down the telephone wire!!

Cerys xx