Prostitution: Right or wrong

• June 18, 2012 11:33 AM BST

Paris Lees wrote a hard hitting article for the Independent after receiving some negative comments about how Ria resorted to prostitution to earn some money for herself.  A very interesting and thought provoking read.

When Channel 4 screened Ria: Diary of a Teen Transsexual last Tuesday I was prepared for ignorant comments. I didn’t predict though that criticism towards 17 year old Ria would focus so heavily on her sex work. I was invited to meet her as part of the documentary, to show her that there’s light at the end of the transsexual tunnel. When I learned she was turning tricks I rolled my eyes and said “Ooh you little scamp!”. I identified with her (infer away) and hoped she was safe, naturally, but it wasn’t really any of my, well… business.

I was unimpressed with a flurry of comments I saw on Facebook which condemned Ria’s massage parlour job as “morally wrong”. The commenters were otherwise supportive of her transition; a bizarre case of “We don’t mind you letting a doctor reshape your genitals, but you’re not allowed to rent them”. Some defended her with the rather sweet, but utterly condescending I-was-no-angel-at-her-age-we-all-do-stupid-things argument. What about students who fund their university education through sex work? Are they stupid? And why can’t we be angels and promiscuous? And who, precisely, are these perfect people passing judgement on others? It makes me feel like going out on the beat, just so I can report back how deliciously unashamed I am.

We’re all judgemental at times. I once had a friend who enjoyed sticking hooks in his back and hanging from the ceiling; apparently this induces euphoria. I think it’s repulsive. That is not, however, the same as believing it to be wrong, which I don’t. And what exactly does “wrong” mean anyway? It’s a suspiciously slippery concept. All we really have are the consequences of our actions – in my friend’s case, stretched back-skin. That’s no skin off my nose though.

In addition to “wrong” I’m also wary of “why”. Many trans people have low self-esteem from living in a culture that repeatedly tells us we are unattractive, that we are inferior, that we are worth less. Combined with an ambivalent relationship towards one’s body, horrendous employment discrimination and a youthful libido, it’s easy to see why many young trans women turn to prostitution.

It’s true that Ria is only 17, and I don’t dismiss that there are often many down sides to working in the sex industry. However, in cases where it is both consensual and free from abuse, we shouldn’t judge people who have sex for money any more than we should judge those who have gay sex, group sex or phone sex. It’s just human behaviour. I’m far more interested in why people wish to condemn it.

Critics of sex work are of course right to highlight crimes such as trafficking, bullying and rape. Not all sex work involves this though. There are plenty of perfectly rational, reasonable adults who choose to have sex for money. It’s not illegal. It’s not a sign of mental illness. It’s just something some people do, and could do better without patronising well-wishers (with no experience of the issue) popping up to say “You deserve much better than this!” as though sex-work had somehow lowered them into a moral sewer without their knowledge. Sure, let’s have a debate about capitalist currency as applied to living beings. I’m not convinced, though, by those who claim to fear for Ria and the potential “psychological and emotional trauma” she might feel “in years to come” when she realises how she’s “degraded” herself. Do you think blame and shame is the best way to show you care? I’m reminded of Christian bigots who tell gay people “We don’t hate you but we’re worried what you’re doing is unhealthy”.

We hear similar cries of concern from radical feminists, who also object to trans people’s right to genital surgery. Someday columnist and professional concern troll Julie Bindel recently told me how uncomfortable she is about the transsexual “industry”. She doesn’t mind individual trans people identifying in a different gender, but woe betide the doctors who indulge our desires for physical change. I still don’t understand though: if I want a vagina sculpted into my elbow (unlikely, it’s true) what possible difference does it make to anybody?

Ultimately these are matters of bodily autonomy. I can give others permission to touch my body – and frequently do – or not; to feed it exotic chemical substances, and also to instruct surgeons to slice it up and pop it back together in shapes of my choosing. If my body ever develops a serious, painful illness, I also reserve the right to orchestrate its demise. My body is a temple: mine to decorate, mine to defile and mine to destroy. And I’ll invite whoever I bloody well like to worship there. You have this right too. We all do.
    We also have the right to charge for entry.

Article by Paris Lees, published by the Independent: http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/06/18/bodily-autonomy-confessions-of-a-transsexual-sex-worker/#dsq-content

• June 18, 2012 2:12 PM BST
    Very interesting and emotive article. Extremely well written.

We have had such a debate here in our own forums, as to the morals of trans prostitution.

One has to consider the circumstances of the individual as well, people desperately needing funding, for treatment, Employment discrimination. Not suprising the suicide rate amongst transexuals is the highest in any minority group. Thats not counting the ones who because of where they live, are so secretive, will we ever know the real percentage.

As to my body being a temple thats five days a week, lol, the other two it becomes a pleasure dome and theme park.
  • June 18, 2012 3:00 PM BST
    Yes, absolutely Crissie - the main dangers (besides STD's) are getting into the hands of pimps and also the dangers of drug abuse in an attempt to make those who might feel some guilt about what they are doing, feel better about themselves. Ria herself appeared to portray some reservations about what she was doing in the program shown on Channel 4 and again in the 'Good Morning' breakfast show on ITV.
    • 95 posts
    June 19, 2012 11:47 AM BST
    Really great post Carol. This brings to my mind so many layers of the human condition, judgement and dare I say guilt. I do find it odd how so many people have a hard time excepting a prostitute as any other equal human being. I personally believe it should be legalised so sex workers can be safely monitered and have a health plan/insurance. Condoms should also be required.

Another thing people usually overlook once they use the moral arguement and stop is the skill of the trade. It requires a lot of know how and to be a successful sex worker one needs an exceptional temperament . It certainly takes a strong woman or man to do this kind of work. You need an ability to detach any deep emotional connections during and after the sex act. In my opinion I believe most people can not do this well which is a reason many prostitutes use drugs and have depression. It is not an easy job to say the least and the hate , shame and legal problems often put on them by society can certainly take its toll.

If it is consensual who am I to disapprove. It is the worlds oldest profession as they say. Morally speaking I have no problems with it amongst consenting adults.

I do however have moral issues with many trades people do such as businesses who make weapons of mass destruction for example or labor camps that are sweat shops with unequal distribution of profit that basically keep their workers in indentured servitude or even outrageous money lenders who steal retirement pensions from the old. These type professions are offensive to my morals not sex work!
    • 434 posts
    June 19, 2012 1:41 PM BST
    We do have to separate the Transsexual from the teen and the prostitute. Each of these subjects has it's own set of problems and public expectations. When we link one with the other...we are only doing so to promote a bias against one of these situations.
    All Human beings go through teenage years.
    Any person may be a transsexual and,
    Any person can become a prostitute.
    • 95 posts
    June 19, 2012 5:42 PM BST

True Doanna . There are many layers involved to this. Ria is only 17 which is a bit young in my opinion for that type work. The fact she is transgender I don't see makes a huge difference once employed in the business. The statistics Cristine mentioned though about how and why they get there is a concern. I'm sure trans people are the highest % of any group of people working in the sex industry due to necessity because of job discrimination and the attraction for fast money needed for surgury,ffs,boob jobs, hormones , food,shelter ect which is a shame. As I say it is a job very few can cope with and lead a normal healthy, balanced emotional and spiritual life. My heart goes out to those who feel trapped in the life and are not coping well with it and feel they have no other options.

This post was edited by Jessica Nova at June 19, 2012 5:46 PM BST