applying for a job to disclose or not disclose?

• July 31, 2012 4:37 PM BST

Hi after being off work for the last few years due to deppresion im trying to find a job, i have been to college in this time and qulified as a holistic therapist, i now have a problem which i have never encountered before. I have started on hormone therapy and in the process of transitioning i am still living in some what of a male role (not changed my name etc) i am almost now at the stage (i have a carefully laid plan of transitioning) to go full time change my name etc, all my family (bar my very much younger brother) and friends know so no problems their, infact my mum is funding my private health care.

But what do i say in a interview? do i tell them up front? or say nothing get the job prove myself and then tell the employer when i am about to transition? if i follow my qulification and heart i'd be working in beauty salons anyway so would be turning up to the interview with my face done nails done etc so i'm not worried in that industry i went to a hair and beauty college for a year so i feel comfortable in that environment .

But i need a job a.s.a.p so am looking at shop and poss bar work which i think could cause potential problems if i do disclose it may prejidice my application, if i dont (and as at the time of interview i was taking hormones under a dr and knew i would be transitioning very soon) that could cause me problems as i didn't disclose it at the interview. ARRH bit of a minefield the only thing that is actualy causing me worry, comming out didn't, going to drs didnt this is making my brain hurt as i cant decide to disclose or not?

• July 31, 2012 4:54 PM BST

As part of the recent Equalities Act, the government seem to be amending stuff to ask questions about a person's gender and whether they have changed gender.  Whilst this is to be welcomed in some ways, it can also act a a deterrant to gaining employment - and this is also the view of PfC (Press for Change advocacy group).

If you disclose and don't get the job you might always be wondering if you were discriminated against, if you choose not to disclose and they later find some excuse to get rid of you (they cannot dismiss you purely on the grounds that you will be transitioning), then in all probability you would not have got the job in the first place - at least by not disclosing you will gain from any salary earned until the point of dismissal - and the chance of getting an unfair dismissal payout at the end of it.  If you watched 'My Transsexual Summer' last year you would have seen what happened when she applied for that job in the wedding dress shop.

On the positive side, if they later go on and continue with your employment then you have lost absolutely nothing.

So, to summarise: at this point in time - unless you are intending to transition in the next couple of months, I would say nothing and just play it by ear.  However, if they ask you outright if you are transsexual, then you would have to state that you are.

Good luck

Carol xx

• July 31, 2012 5:13 PM BST
    Yea thing is legislation is all well and good and if everyone played by the rules it would be so much easier, but in the real world it means nothing, yea i willl be transitioning fully in the next couple of months i would wait but i really need a job now, i am looking at going back to college again in september and need a part time job to fund it i could work for myself and think actually this may be the best way,yea i did watch that and t.b.h thats what got me thinking about this post. Its catch 22 disclose don't get job or get job start and then in 2 months in say "oh by the way i forgot to mention when i got the job!!!" and get told suddenly due to the current finacial situation we have to let you go. Part of me thinks its best to wait and apply in 2 months less explaining and more what you see is what you get. I think sticking within the industry im qulified in is best as not everyone can do it . But it is hard as most companies these days offer temp contracts and its easy for them to get rid off you, while a full time perm employee with 10 years service its slightly harder for them to just say bye.Was meant to have been in a job for a year before i transitioned but a montage of health problems have prevented this. Thanks for your reply think just need to decide whether to wait or risk it.xx
  • July 31, 2012 7:35 PM BST
    I told everyone I was switching to being Rose from Monady 15th June and I have herea certificate from a training course dated 15 September.
    Just make the jump and go for it.
    You are fully protected from discrimination but unfortunately most people do want to see you making some genuine effort to be what you claim to be.
    On teh plus side the NHS has to offer 'holistic' therapies so if you have genuine qualifictaions for that you could have a very nice prosperous future.
  • July 31, 2012 8:43 PM BST
    The n.h.s is a tricky one in terms of working simply beacuse they offer it but most people performing it are voulnteers and not actually paid, some trusts will pay but its on a self employed almost sub contracted basies and the initial out lay is the same as the reason i am not self employed now insurance car business insurance etc i have a advisor im seeing in 3 weeks on self employment so will hopefully be of benefit. but thanks another thing to consider.xx
    • 146 posts
    August 1, 2012 10:47 AM BST
    Hi Stevie,..Just to say ARRRGH... minefield ..yes unfortunately . Best advice is dont blow your self up :-), Want you want is a controlled explosion so to speak ! . FYI I got made redundant in May, and just got a permanent job offer last week. I attended the interview reluctantly in male mode, times are very hard and yes finances are a problem . I got given a Psychometric test also (maybe that told them something already). Interesting point about the job offer was that it was accompanied by the requirement to get 2 references.[ Many Employers ,recruiters are specifying this now asking for 2 previous employers].This is problematic if you are transitioning and have a known work past , your referees have to make the "right" reference, .
    The other Hurdle, is that in my case i was asked to fill in a pre-employment medical questionnaire to be sent in confidence to the NHS Occupational Health in the region where I intend to start the new job.This requires you to quote NHS number and declare answers to questions which are diffcult to avoid . In my case I stated that I had sought Medical Consultation for Gender Dysphoria and left it at that . I sent an email to the NHS saying I was happy to discuss this with them under confidential terms. The catch 22 predicament I may well have is that having complied honestly to declare my medical state, my fitness to work could be judged adversely. I dont see a problem with my Health right now I feel very good as a matter of fact.
    Overall its not surprising that Transgendered people have had to resort to self employment to avoid these minefields, which is sad in many ways
    xxxx all
  • August 1, 2012 1:18 PM BST
    Thanks Donna hope it all goes through ok, this never occured to me until recently because due to a physical health problem i was never meant to be at the stage i am when applying for jobs, i have it on 2 fronts so too speak as ive been off work for deppresion i have to disclose that (been off so long i cant explain gap in employment) and also i now have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and seeking treatment and on medication will also need time off for appointments in london live so far away need whole day just to get their (its over a hour from where i live just to the station). I have had 2 periods where i have had long periods of sickness due to depression the 1st time i got back into employment easily but it was a time when jobs where a plenty, the self employed route does have its attraction but all that said pre me actually stoping running away from who i was i lived out as a camp effeminate gay guy and worked for butlins as security my nickname was lipstick 1 i worked with some of the most macho ex army etc and never encountered any issues even when i would wonder round in drag and 3 hours later turn up for work still wearing half my face but that was different in a way their was jobs a plenty then and i had proved myself in that job the main manager hated me (infact he hated all l.g.b.t) but i could do the job so he had to keep me just never spoke to me, i have never had any type of discrimination in the past but i tend to think being gay is acceptable being trans still has a long way to go my best mate for years was 100% fine with me as a out gay man but trans it took her a long time to accept it no idea why but my mum was same fine with me being gay trans i had to move towns (she has come round now) but i think potential employers could be the same. Im not exactly masculine or macho so in a interview that will come across but at the end of the day i think in a way being gay is much less of a problem than being trans and the barriers are still firmly up.xxx
  • August 2, 2012 4:08 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:33 PM BST
  • August 3, 2012 8:53 PM BST
    Thanks nicola i hope your job sitiuation improves soon, i too have a experiance with a back to work government agency who i asked to be refered to and their useless, and actually don't care about the client (they only get paid by the government if you get a job) they have a tendancy to push every job going on to you even if its unsuitable and not what you want. Speaking to my hairdressor today she has told of 2 comppanies who have taken on her firends while they where going through transition knowing full well who they where taking on asda is one and the other a nhs hospitaL Discounting my holistic stuff i'm only looking at retail and partime 16hrs to 24. Tbh my female persona look is not much different from male just minus blusher and lippy so its kinda what you see is what you get. What as far as my understanding goes if you don't disclose at a interview a pre existing (diagnosed medical condition) which may impact on your employment you have very little legal protection and can be dismissed for it bu,t as you experianced pre disclosure can hamper you. I think i will make no mention on application forms and if i get a interview see how it goes then disclose if i don't get the job down to it. well i wouldn;t have wanted to work their anyway. From what i can gather big companies and local authorities are poss the best ones as they like to recruit a diverse pool and have mission statements they uphold, would steer clear of small local employers unless your a regualar customer, where i get my hair done i have no doubt if i was qulified hairdressor and they had a postion they would take me on no problem what im saying is look at the type of business company they are look at your personality see what areas it suits, i thought about doing care home work but as t=you experianced i thought that may happen,

dont know whereyou are in the country but i have previous bar managemnet experiace and event management and although i cant do it on my own i; want to open a new lgbt trans bar in cambridge i have so many ideas through seeing so many bars go under and i can see what need tweeking if anyone is intreasted in looking as a trans cooperative and running a cambridge pub i think i have been a regular in every gay pub in blackpool and brighton, i have contacts in security to provide door, the diffenace with this pub is i would also be able to open a fully qulified salonn as a sister projecet offering holistic and beauty treatments. Also lots of closed pubs have transfered the lease over to other minority groups and provided funding.i have lots of people who know somebody but i need more people to help and form somekind of community cambridge and surrounding areas has a large l.g.b.t community with no where to go as gurented a night out in amain stree bar can result in a incidence and ostricisies menmbers who feel uncomfortable i use normal pubs clubs salons but thats me others dont feel confortable.

Also a incident today at the salon showed me 100% most people (just unfortuntly mostly women) are fine with it after growing my hair i decided it needed to go from male long hair to a fem style and dyed red i go to the same place for my waxing and eyelash tints, who or what i am in that place means nothing (infact i get a very good deal ;-) i sat today in the chair in my head covered in bright red dye and the hairderessor chatting asking about boob job and ops doors wide open and a male customer the overside at first i got scared as he may over hear then i thought oh well any way he had his hair cut and said goodbye to me sitting their then a female customer offered to help me with my shopping bags ive now had my hair cut into unmistakable fem cut (my voice is still terrible and still in sorta male mood) gone way off tangent just taken my sleeping pill just today made me think for every twat and every bad employer theirs a hell of a lot nicer. everyone ive ever yold about me a trans has been 100% supportive not lost any friends or family think its just a matter of being canny and looking at big employers and local authorites, n.h.s postal service etc, dont look at typically male dominated industries even pre this in my previousish gay live i could never get a job in a highly male dominated environment so actually i'd be applying for the same roles as before typically female roles and yup low paid., best of luck to i feel i am about to experiance the frustrastions you .zzz
    • 2358 posts
    August 4, 2012 2:34 AM BST
    http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/8485/fact-sheet

One point when signing a contract of employment, or even filling out an application for a position, if its later proved you deliberately withheld information that could be relevant at the time of application, it could be legally held against you. (contract law)in the case of application for redress or tribunal.
  • August 4, 2012 2:33 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:34 PM BST
  • August 4, 2012 3:09 PM BST
    As TLBG rep for the union in my hospital I'm amazed at hearing stuff like this as any hint of harassment only needs a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the management or to me to be sorted out.
    While I'm sure that some companies will be transphobic to your face or your back there are lots where you would be taken on and allowed to prove yourself.
    Do the volunteering jobs and keep asking everyone you come into contact with if they know of a job needing your particular skills.
  • August 4, 2012 6:14 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:35 PM BST
  • August 4, 2012 8:37 PM BST
    Dont worry i was just using the postal example of a big company but obliviously from your experience not a very trans friendly one, i have been told of 2 local employers both happy to and have employees at verying stages of transition so am looking into them i've already looked at areas which could cause problems and won't apply to those types of employers. It complicates my job hunting further as i know live in the worst possible village to transition (very snobby ultra christian village) i live on the small council part (nice friendly people) but the rest of the village are very clickey dont like a council area and the local pubs make it crystal clear im not welcome, had i not got my dog i would feel quite vulnerable so trying to find a move aswel as a new job at the same time. wish you the best of luck and no worries i'l avoid postman pat.xx
    • 35 posts
    August 11, 2012 2:05 AM BST
    stevie nicholson said:

Hi after being off work for the last few years due to deppresion im trying to find a job, i have been to college in this time and qulified as a holistic therapist, i now have a problem which i have never encountered before. I have started on hormone therapy and in the process of transitioning i am still living in some what of a male role (not changed my name etc) i am almost now at the stage (i have a carefully laid plan of transitioning) to go full time change my name etc, all my family (bar my very much younger brother) and friends know so no problems their, infact my mum is funding my private health care.

Stevie, it sounds like you are just a legal name change away from being legal.  You can always legally change you name, to anything you want, so you can legally change it to your femme name, and get a driver's licence and passport with your femme name and picture.  It will still have "M" in the check box.  If you mom knows a good lawyer, he can do it for you for about $200, or you can just go down to the county clerk's office and do it yourself for about $30-$50.

But what do i say in a interview? do i tell them up front? or say nothing get the job prove myself and then tell the employer when i am about to transition? if i follow my qulification and heart i'd be working in beauty salons anyway so would be turning up to the interview with my face done nails done etc so i'm not worried in that industry i went to a hair and beauty college for a year so i feel comfortable in that environment .

Absolutely yes, you do want to tell them up front that you are transitioning.  This addresses a number of issues up-front, rather than having to deal with some nasty backlash later.  If you are in a very conservative state like Utah, you have very few legal protections, and you may be viewed negatively (See "The Squirrel Cage").  However, in many other states, where there are not only legal protections but also EEOC laws, they may actually BENEFIT by hiring you as a transsexual rather than as a man or as a woman.

But i need a job a.s.a.p so am looking at shop and poss bar work which i think could cause potential problems if i do disclose it may prejidice my application, if i dont (and as at the time of interview i was taking hormones under a dr and knew i would be transitioning very soon) that could cause me problems as i didn't disclose it at the interview. ARRH bit of a minefield the only thing that is actualy causing me worry, comming out didn't, going to drs didnt this is making my brain hurt as i cant decide to disclose or not?

You DO want to tell them up front.  If it's a real issue that would get you fired later, then you don't want to even get started with the company.  They would be able to legitimately fire you for cause, because you were deceptive on your application.  They may turn you away for cause, or they may just say "That won't work for us".  On the other hand, if you are honest and up-front with them, and you apply in femme mode, they will be able to assess your ability to pass as a woman, your ability to interact with people, and your ability to handle difficult situations.

Telling them up front also helps the employer to work with you on issues like restroom usage (adding a lock or hook on the door so you can have privacy), or working out arrangements that work for you and the other women who work there.  Customers don't need to know, and if they do find out, they may be comfortable that you aren't going to be in the bathroom to be a "peeping tom-boy" or worse.

In many cases, the employer may actually see your honesty, and even your being transgendered, as an asset, and even a draw.  After all, if you can dress as pretty as the GGs and don't mind, he gets a "girl" that attracts the customers, and he doesn't have to worry about you getting pregnant, or going out with the customers.

Mostly want you want to do is "Sell Yourself" - what is it about your experiences of being BOTH a man AND a woman that can make you more valueable as an employee than a genetic man or a genetic woman.  You should look at what is speciall about you, that you personally can bring to the party, rather than trying to think entirely about what "a transsexual" could bring to the party.

If you can gab and cat about sports and know what you are talking about, and can be a good listener for the women who are struggling with their feelings, so he can have you on during the slower shifts - when he would otherwise need a male and/or female bar tender or employee, that might be a good case to make.

You don't want to think that being a transsexual is a liability.  You want to think of it as a great talent, a gift, a miracle, something that makes you special, that makes you valuable.  People with great gifts, be it a great intellect, psychic ability, or even very good looks - often first experience their being "different" as a curse, as something they need to be ashamed of.  Once they embrace the special gifts they have been given, and stop trying to make it wrong, they are free to be themselves and contribute in far more powerful ways than they could have if they had kept those special gifts hidden.

The same is true when you go into holistic health care.  Yes, there may be some customers who don't want you to touch them, both men and women, but there will be others who love that you have the strength of a man and the gentleness of a woman, and that you can bring the best of both to the table when you want to or need to.

• August 11, 2012 3:01 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:35 PM BST
  • August 28, 2012 7:29 PM BST
    Thanks debbie and nicola i was just unsure and in uncharted teriorty for me. I think having assesed everything and to avoid the whole starting a job and worrying about comming out so to speak i am just going to go the whole nine yards and disclose right rom the interview (lol if i get that far) and the way the job market in the u.k is now chances are i will be living fulltime by that point. I am crap at not telling the truth and i know dam well i will let slip prob on my 1st day in a job so best get it out the way at interview stage and if they dont like it and don't offer me the job based on that well i wouldnt have wanted to work for them anyways. ty.xxx