A Step in History.

• 9 posts
    August 1, 2012 12:25 PM BST

Hi everyone, i was studing for my high school certificate in history the other night and a thought crossed my mind- i started to wonder how people like us must have survived through periods before the twenty first century. When you think back, to the conseratism that has existed for hundreds of years before us.... i cant help but feel sorry for those who never got the help they needed, who lived their lives in a state of confusion, or worse yet despair. Were so lucky that we can be so open with our feelings, can find and communicate with one another. Whenever a thought crosses my mind, about acceptance or wellbeing, i think- we are the lucky ones. We are the ones who live in an age were we can be ourselves, make our own paths and choose our own future. Whether we are accepted or rejected by those around us is irrelevant, because their opinions dont control the decisions that we make. Its taken hundreds of years, but we're there....

So that brings me to a question- if u were born in an earlier time, say, wishing you were a pretty girl in 18th century England, what would you do? Would you carry on, living in silence, as so many have probably done before us? Just curious...

Thanks, Robbie

• August 2, 2012 4:24 AM BST
    Ann Lister lived in my town and chose to live as a lesbian regardless fo public opinion but whether any TS could have done the same is hard to know but I rather think that as many families were selfcontained and self sufficient at that time there may have been numerous TS who were kept at home and out of general sight and known to a close circles as just being 'odd' and kept locked in the attic most of the time.
  • August 2, 2012 4:25 AM BST
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Lister