Co-operative trans community pubs

• August 3, 2012 9:20 PM BST

Hi talking to a friend today it came to light that all the current gay pubs have closed down in cambridge and as such their is no haven in a city of over 120,000 for the l.g.b.t community to go have a night out and feel safe and be them seleves.

Looking around the country local villages have formend cooperatives and invested a small amount of money and brought the tenancy of a condemed pub. I am thinking why can't the l.g.b.t community come togther pool our rescourese and open a gay/trans bar in cambridge as it represenants a minority who still experinace a great deal of prejidice i think this would be a great way to a)develope a venue run by and for the community. B) a safe palce to hold support groups and have a small area set aside for  trans friendly salon. I have bar management experiance and still have contacts in the security industy and also in the beauty industry.

Just a idea but our community is a long way from london, brighton, blackpool and manchester . Some more trendy places will accept gays lesibian but will be funny with trans ive witnessed this myself still just because someone is trans being refused we all argued for her but still she was refused. what we all meant to do? say ok just stay home drive 30 miles to the next venue or become proactive find a venue and apply to every tom ,dick, harry community trust and council for funding.

I'm experianced at approching councils and managed to reverse a descion on the closing of a community menatl health rescorce centre i think this is a viable idea but cant do it alone.xxx

This post was edited by Former Member at August 3, 2012 9:50 PM BST