My Maternal Yearnings.

• August 23, 2012 8:01 PM BST

A friend of a friend asked me yesterday whether or not a post op trans woman mentruates or can get pregnant. I know that to us this would seem a question easy to answer, but she had never encountered anyone like me before. It got me to thinking. I, because of the way I was born can have a form of SRS but for the end result and the unbelieveable trauma my body would incur It does not seem a viable option. However if ever it was possible for a transwoman to have surgery to give her the ability to conceive I would without hesitation risk my life for it, so strong in my instinct to be a mother. I would be interested to here other girls' opinions on this. Love Alison

• August 23, 2012 10:33 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:21 PM BST
  • August 23, 2012 10:46 PM BST
    I know just how you feel Nicola. When I was 23 my sister had my niece and they lived at our house for some time when she was first born. I loved her like my own daughter and used to stand silently in the quiet of the night by her cot listening to her sleep. I used to worry that something might happen to her in the night. My dad's mate commented with a raised eyebrow how able I was to soothe her if she cried in an instant because it came so naturally to me to do so. Often I used to look after her and take her into town in her pram and as I was hardly masculine in anyone's imagination I would hope someone would think she was my baby girl. When it became time for them to move to a new home my heart was ripped apart by it. I couldn't say anything for fear of upsetting my sister even though she knew I was a girl inside I didn't want her to feel bad about it. It took me years t oget over it and just typing this makes me want to cry. Ever since even my mum has said I become a mother to anyone who I see as vulnerable or to animals who need love, because it is what I do. Thank you for responding to my post and please know you are really not alone in your feelings, love Aison x
  • August 24, 2012 12:44 PM BST

That is my sole regret when I undertook this life sqaving journey, that by doing so I would be forever child less.  I still yearn to have a child, but the deep pangs of pain are not so searing as they once were, but I do experience 'cluckiness' when I see a baby or any of my friends' daughters tell me that they are pregnant.  I think this is a very common feeling with most transsexuals, it would be the final affirmation that we are women.

A couple of months back there was a piece in Pink News about a certain transsexual and in the comments section one cisgendered woman was going on about we are not women as we do not menstruate and cannot have babies - and went on (after a few other comments) to say that nobody would have gender realignment surgery if it meant that we would menstruate and have children.  There must have been 14 transwomen who wrote in reply that this was aburd and every single one of us would love to have the ability to menstruate and create a new life in our bodies.

Carol xx

• August 24, 2012 2:05 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:22 PM BST
    • 51 posts
    August 25, 2012 12:59 AM BST
    The answer from me is yes. I have got a son and I often wish that I had never entered a relationship but had made the decision to transition when I was so much younger. But then I remember that if I was able to somehow travel through time to do this I would erase the life of my son. And I could never do that. So although I will never be able to be a mother I have created a life and for that I will always be grateful. I hope that he will be able to accept me as I as a woman but if not he will still have a life.

Best wishes to all of you,

Nell x