When college application forms ask for "former names"

• October 30, 2012 7:37 PM GMT

Hi everyone,

I have run into a problem and was wondering if anyone could provide me some advice. 

I started my transition almost 16 months ago and in the process have legally changed my name and have also been able to get my gender marker changed on my passport. I am now applying to graduate school and unfortunately one of the application questions asks for "former names." I really don't know why, but this is really bothering me, and as a result I have not finished the application process. Something is stopping me from typing my old name in. I really really reaaaaaaaally find it irksome that some people who never knew me (even if it's just the college registrar) will learn that I used to have a male name (which in turn would out me). Now I do know that records of my old name will in some way or another float around forever (such as the court documents showing my name change, records at social security as well as name change records at my old colleges), yet this one question is still bothering me. A lot.  

On the other hand, I really want to go to grad school and this particular program very much interests me. Would it be bad if I simply left the space asking for former names blank? I don't want to do anything bad or illegal, and if I absolutely 1000000% must type in my old name, I will. But at the same time, I must admit, it's killing me. Why do they have to know this? All my college transcripts have my new name and I have no criminal record. I don't see why they need to know about my former name.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area? What should I do? I don't want another record with my old name.

This post was edited by Former Member at October 30, 2012 7:39 PM GMT
  • October 30, 2012 8:11 PM GMT
    If it is merely an application form I would leave it blank at this moment in time and just see how your application progresses.

If it is successful and they then require more details you can see if you can talk to a counsellor at the grad school and ask them for their advice about whether it is necessay for you to divulge your former name to the college authorities.

First get accepted, then worry about what happens later would be my advice.

Carol xx
  • February 22, 2013 12:45 AM GMT
    I'll go with Carol on this one for now don't bother & see where it goes from there. Go ahead & submit the application as is WITHOUT your old name then if they require more information well take it one step at a time. Submit your application.