PCC rules on Burchill Article (sickening)

• March 20, 2013 8:05 PM GMT

This just in from the Press Complaints Commission:

Commission’s decision in the case of

Two Complainants v The Observer / The Daily Telegraph

The complainants were concerned about a comment article which responded to criticism of another columnist on social networking sites. The article had first been published by The Observer. Following The Observer’s decision to remove the article from its website, it had been republished on the website of The Daily Telegraph. The Commission received over 800 complaints about the article, which it investigated in correspondence with two lead complainants, one for each newspaper.

The complainants considered that the article contained a number of prejudicial and pejorative references to transgender people in breach of Clause 12 (Discrimination) of the Editors’ Code of Practice. They also raised concerns under Clause 1 (Accuracy) that language used by the columnist was inaccurate as well as offensive, and, furthermore that the article misleadingly suggested that the term “cis-gendered” was insulting. Additionally, concerns had been raised that the repeated use of terms of offence had breached Clause 4 (Harassment) of the Code.

The Commission first considered the complaints, framed under Clause 12, that the article had contained a number of remarks about transgender people that were pejorative and discriminatory. It noted that the Observer had accepted that these remarks were offensive, and that it had made the decision to remove the article on the basis that the language used fell outside the scope of what it considered reasonable; however, the Observer denied a breach of Clause 12 because the article had not made reference to any specific individual. Clause 12 states that newspapers “must avoid prejudicial or pejorative reference to an individual’s race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation or to any physical or mental illness or disability”. However, the clause does not cover references to groups or categories of people. The language used in the article did not refer to any identifiable individual, but to transgender people generally. While the Commission acknowledged the depth of the complainants’ concerns about the terminology used, in the absence of reference to a particular individual, there was no breach of Clause 12.

The Commission also considered the complaint under the terms of Clause 1, which states that “the press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures”. Complainants had suggested that the terms used in the article to refer to transgender people were inaccurate or misleading. Whilst the Commission acknowledged this concern, it was clear from the tone of the article that these terms were being used to express an opinion. Whilst many people had found this opinion deeply distasteful and upsetting, the columnist was entitled to express her views under the terms of Clause 1(iii), so long as the statements were clearly distinguished from fact. The same was true in relation to the columnist’s assertion that the term “cis-gendered” is offensive. Viewed in the context of the article as a whole, particularly in light of the fact that the article had been deliberately identified as a comment piece, this was clearly distinguishable as an expression of her opinion about the term rather than a statement of fact about how it is perceived more broadly. This did not constitute a failure to take care over the accuracy of the article, for the purposes of Clause 1(i), and neither was there any significant inaccuracy requiring correction under the terms of Clause 1(ii). There was no breach of Clause 1.

The Commission turned to consider those concerns raised under Clause 4, which states that “journalists must not engage in intimidation, harassment or persistent pursuit”. It made clear, however, that the publication of a single comment piece was not conduct which would engage the terms of Clause 4. There was no breach of the Code.

The Commission acknowledged that the complainants found much of the article offensive. Nonetheless, the terms of the Editors’ Code of Practice do not address issues of taste and offence. The Code is designed to address the potentially competing rights of freedom of expression and other rights of individuals, such as privacy. Newspapers and magazines have editorial freedom to publish what they consider to be appropriate provided that the rights of individuals – enshrined in the terms of the Code which specifically defines and protects these rights – are not compromised.  It could not, therefore, comment on this aspect of the complaint further.

WHAT A WHITEWASH AND THE VERY REASON WHY LEVESON'S ENQUIRY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN FULL

• 434 posts
    March 21, 2013 1:31 AM GMT
    Someone should remove all the references to TG's etc and substitute some other identifiable group of people.... then see what happens.
  • March 21, 2013 10:17 AM GMT

by publishing the comments of 1 indivdual in there newspaper the newspaper is actively promoting it as if it was there own view after all they have to or they not allowed to sell it as there own publication and i bet they didnt give it away for free after all

exactly doanna wonder how it would go down if they posted about some muslim groups or something like that i mean if someone had a view on them would the newspaper still allow it i wonder, afterall if they claim that they wouldnt why its not like its the newspaper saying that its the comment/view of 1 individual hmm

This post was edited by Rebecca Armstrong at March 21, 2013 10:22 AM GMT
  • March 21, 2013 12:02 PM GMT
    Don't worry, Ms. Burchill has not heard the last about this. I reported the article to my area's police authority and they are treating it as a hate crime. Hopefully she will be prosecuted under the relevant act and held to account for her actions.
    • 106 posts
    March 21, 2013 2:34 PM GMT
    So let me get this right and if I have mis-read, then I apologise and please correct me. Newspapers can publish hateful articles about groups of people but not hateful articles about individuals.
  • March 21, 2013 5:34 PM GMT
    So it would appear Suzy - however I doubt that they would have gotten away if it had been racist language used instead of transphobic language - in fact if it had been a racist, I doubt very much if it would have been published in the first place. Unfortunately Trans people seem to be a fair target these days because they would not dare print anything similar to the original article if it had been directed towards a particular race of people or religion.

Fortunately TMW (Trans Media Watch) are working with the Law Commission to close these loopholes.
  • March 21, 2013 9:21 PM GMT
    why these ppl go out of there way to find these loopholes says alot about them and the newspapers in question tbh