Total suprise!!!!

• 1198 posts
    August 12, 2004 1:45 PM BST
    Today i went to the opticians to get my new glasses, i wanted female one's obviously so off i went. I had my eye's tested and there was no change, then came the chosung of frame's.
    This lovely young lad(nice bum)helped me choose, first of all he was trying men's glasses and i gave him a funny look. Well i had to say it so i did, i said to him "look love i'm changing sex so i'd prefer female glasses. I thought OMG he's going to run a mile, quite the reverse actually he was very helpful asked question's and had no problems with me at all.
    So i suppose it goe's to show that not all Norm's are ignorant gorrila's and there are good people out there.......love JJ xx

Ps the glasses look great xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 12, 2004 3:22 PM BST
    Yes Joni and it makes you feel better about yourself too, i have the same shall we say respect from some of the girls in the local asda.
    They treat you as anyone else not a glitch in todays society......love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 12, 2004 4:17 PM BST
    Sandra,
    i was semi-dressed its just hard around fratton area and i had my GF's little boy with me. Me i don't care what is said or done to me, but i wont allow it to affect her lttle boy. In my eye's that is wise i think............love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 12, 2004 4:52 PM BST
    Sandra thats the bit i am waiting for lol......love JJ xx
  • August 13, 2004 12:31 PM BST
    Julie

Most of the people are actually quite nice out there. And this is not only my own optimism. I think it is really true.
    Just trust in yourself and trust in the people. You get sometimes backfire, but there is really no reason to be suspicious against the whole human race.

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    August 13, 2004 7:24 PM BST
    Hi Shan,
    yep things are certainlly different in all area's and of course other parts of the world too. But if you get accepted by the majority you tend to loose fears of the minority.
    The opticians was a good day for me, but what we must remember there are going to be the bad day's too. Not every shop worker will be so understanding of us, not all norm's will want to understand us either. So the way i look at it is every small moral boosting incident should be remembered for the next bad thing that happen's............love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 16, 2004 5:49 PM BST
    Just wanted to add this other piece of moral boosting info, today i was out shopping (when aren't i) and i saw a pair of shoes i like.
    They were pink 2" heel and i was with suzy, the woman in the shop said "what size do you want" to suzy. I don't know what made me say it but i said"they are for me love size 8 i want", the woman just said ok love help yourself and proceeded to tell me about another T-girl who shops there. It was so refreshing to be able to chat to a shop assistant and not get judged.....Ne Ne its Jones in southsea babe....we're sorted.......love JJ xx
  • March 18, 2005 4:49 AM GMT
    See what direct honesty can do!

I went to a bugdet shoe store while in the US and bought a sexy strappy pair with 3 inch heels (perfect for me im 6'3). Only 20 bucks! The salesclerk just asked me if they fit OK. Although she did seem a little nervous at first, it would have been so much worse if I was mumbling, blushing and looking at my feet.

Head up, shoulders back, stand up straight and ask the question "do these oh so cute heels come in size 11"

• 1652 posts
    March 18, 2005 1:01 PM GMT
    you made a good point there stacy, if we mumble, blush and look at our feet (even in a shoe shop), it makes those who are dealing with us feel uncomfortable too. smile, walk tall and don't skulk about and others around us will feel at ease and see that we are just happy, normal people.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    March 19, 2005 2:01 PM GMT
    There is no need for clever comebacks from us should we receive any negative comments, that just makes us appear defensive and generally people construe that as a sign of weakness, ironically. Had I ever received such comments myself I would probably have wanted to question the antagonist to determine where their prejudice comes from, try and make them see for themselves how illogical and unnecessary their preconceived ideas are. Of course, if faced with a gang of youths hurling abuse the best advice would be to just ignore them and move on (amazing how people change when surrounded by their peers!) they ain't gonna listen to reason. But you'd be surprised how a friendly smile can make people like that think twice. Again, avoid looking pissed off or ashamed because that would only reinforce their prejudice.
    I must stress though, I've been going out regularly for about a year, day/night/shopping/pubs/clubs whatever, mainly in the north of England, and I have never, never, ever received a single derogatory comment from anyone. My earlier point being that if you feel embarrassed to be out dressed, then that rubs off on other people and they become unable to deal with you in their normal friendly way, due to their own embarrassment; if we skulk, it implies we have something to hide.
    Certainly in this part of the world, prejudice is on the way down and understanding and acceptance is on the way up. Everyone I've come into contact with, and there have been hundreds, has been quite lovely, genuinely interested, and simply do not have a problem with people like me. I am constantly amazed at some of the girls' comments on this site, mostly the ones who don't go out, whose fear of what might happen, how people might react, is quite debilitating. Avoid dangerous situations of course, as any person would, and perhaps a soccer match would not be such a good idea if you don't pass at all, otherwise get out there and show the world that we are normal, well-adjusted and happy people. You will be pleasantly surprised. Hiding away in fear does no-one any good at all, either us or them.
    I've never been a particularly brave or confident person, until I started going out dressed. Then I realised there is no need to fear things that exist only in your own mind, and I realised that I was actually a happy person and had no reason to feel ashamed. Don't get hung up on other peoples' feelings, just consider your own for a change. It's changed my life.
    xx
    • 2068 posts
    August 12, 2004 2:20 PM BST
    i bet that made you feel REALLY good jj,him treatin you like a lady.so he had a cute bum...not as cute as your's eh huni loves ya really.Love maria xxx
    • 1980 posts
    August 12, 2004 3:15 PM BST
    Isn't it cool when they just treat you like anyone else? I love the feeling of just being accepted. The place I have my nails done is like that, the girls who work there all know I'm TG and are just as sweet and helpful and matter of fact as they can be. So nice. And so are cute butts.<g>

Hugs, Joni
    • 2573 posts
    March 19, 2005 11:55 AM GMT
    As many of you know, I can get going on the Modals, as much as the next t-girl, still....I have to remind myself of a time in my life when I, through no fault of my own, did not understand alternate lifestyles so well. Misunderstanding leads to inappropriate responses, and while I was never knowingly cruel, I know for a fact that I unknowingly hurt closeted friends with my jokes and comments at times. Ignorance is a disease with a cure and gradually I have been cured of much of that as I learned to understand. I was ignorant, conditioned, but not stupid. Many people do "strike out" at us when feeling uncertain and vulnerable, but not all are dumb and beyond redemption. I hope I will be willing to try a bit of teaching and not revert to aggression and male-hem as we were taught. I would feel better if I could be sure I will not react as badly as the dumbasses I am sure to meet. A lot of habit there to break.

What have people experienced/done to change those conditioned male-reactions to being threatened or tormented? It's very "Christian" to turn the other cheek, but....easier said than done. I guess the thought started earlier when I was reading how someone said different t girls reacted to negative interactions on the street, clever comebacks were the most "hostile" responses, but some were very matter of fact and became "teachers" to those who would listen, and people went home with understanding to talk about their visit to the place with trannys and how nice they were to talk to and told their neighbors and friends about their trip. Makes one think...change the world one mind at a time....and that mind changes another. Can we stay ahead of the arrival of new modals without a clue. I know I would have listened long before I understood about myself, but I'm not average, and neither is the 'average' t girl. So I guess the second question is "are the fields fertile enough" that we can make a difference by confronting adversarial situations with a chat.....and is that safe to risk or should we shut up and walk on. Seems to me the clever comeback, while emotionally satisfying, is risky and does not win us many frineds. Thoughts?