Who or what would prefere to be?

• 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 12:15 PM BST

Strange question? Well answering a forum topic this morning got me thinking. I am a Transexual but what if I could choose?. Well the obvious choice would be a correct gender born female , because I had to live most of my life as a male which I am not.

So if I had to choose but could not choose born female then what would it be? Well it would not be male , I have been there done that and worn the Tatty Crappy Tee shirt.

So I think I would opt for being a Transvestite! I could have the best of both worlds without having to have gone through the crap I have (And others have too).

I do envy some Transvestites I suppose . Go to work as a man no problems , then at weekends and evenings I could be a female , not a real female but you know what I mean. Being a male is boring but being a woman is amazing , shopping , make up , and fun ect.

Strange topic? I don't think so because on here we are all different and some envy others whilst some don't but we did not get to choose who or what we are did we?.

Julia x

• May 2, 2013 1:02 PM BST

I suppose for me Julia, being a transvestite already. I do have the best of both worlds. I live as a man, I mostly think & behave as a man. I`m possibly (hopefully) more sensitive towards women, than your usual man. I have all the benifits of beings a man (in a mans world) I don`t have to put up with the crap that women have too. As a man I`m certainly more equal than women. Yet the drive or urge to dress as one, to not have that competitive, & aggressive part of being a man. Is just so refreshing, & uplifting. I would never, given the chance to be anything other than a man. Choose to be either a woman or a transexual. To much stacked against both. From what I know & can see from my perspective, but if I could be in any other body. I would choose to have a hairless, and androgeonous body with a bigger bum. Not for sexual reasons. For looking better in a tight skirt, & the release of the dreaded shaving. Other than that Julia. I`m good as I am. A transvestite!

• May 2, 2013 4:58 PM BST

For me Julia, it would be born as an ordinary female or failing that, being transsexual again, but in today's world I would probably transition when I am around 5 years old instead of dragging it out til my late 20's like I did this time round.  At least then I could be put on hormone blockers and not go through the awful male puberty.

As for being a male and having to live as a male - sorry, not for me (nothing against men, I love 'em, just don't want to be one lol), God, I just couldn't go through that again, prefer to be dead.

That is my choice, knowing what I do now.  If I didn't know, then I suppose I wouldn't know any better if I was born male and I would just accept it 

• 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 6:40 PM BST

Well Carol and Daisy we are who we are and there is no getting away from it. If I had not made the mistake of falling in love and being in a relationship for 23 years my life would have changed in my 20s instead of late 40s , even though my partner was aware of my gender identity from the start , it is what held us together , she dispised men because of the beatings she took from her ex. If I could go back I would still choose still be me I think but just taken a different path  , I like being me even if it is bloody hard work sometimes.

Julia x

• 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 6:48 PM BST

Image deleted.

This post was edited by Former Member at May 7, 2013 8:34 PM BST
    • 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 6:50 PM BST

Image deleted.

This post was edited by Former Member at May 7, 2013 8:35 PM BST
  • May 2, 2013 8:48 PM BST

I have often wondered about this.  My first thought would be that I would like to be born female.  But then, I'd really have no clue who I would be.  Yes, I would be physically female and identify internally as female, but every other part of my life (family, friends, school, growing up, jobs, etc) as I know them would be different.  And who knows, parts of my life may be worse (single parent with children, submissive wife, abusive husband, also ran in the job market, etc.).  No, I'll stay who I am, a TS.  I've worked hard to get where I am and I'm quite happy with who I am.  

• 171 posts
    May 2, 2013 9:19 PM BST
    Well I'd hope to be born a compassionate female. So all of the anxieties, pressures and deliberations of being a 'trapped' Transexual wouldn't be there and all the time and energies displaced by this would be used in some other way. The compassionate bit is really important though, that's because if born a woman I wouldn't want to think twice about Transexuals, but just be immediately accepting of them without any discriminatory thoughts or reactions. That sort of woman isn't as commonplace as you may think - I suspect..
    • 1 posts
    May 2, 2013 9:24 PM BST

My first thought was be to be a natural woman.  That would be much easier than trying to become one!! Plus there are certain parts of womanhood I would like to experience that a man, or even a transgendered woman will never know.  My second thought on this subject was to be me, the same man I am, but without the tendancy to cross dress and without any gender issues.  Sometimes living two lives gets a bit stressful and confusing so I could live without the angst.  My final thought would be me but with a bit more freedom to dress whenever and wherever I wanted and a slightly more feminine body so that I could pass much more easily.  The first two choices would definitely make life easier and less confusing.  However there are a lot of advantages to being able to be a man or a woman as I choose.  I guess if I were forced at gunpoint to choose one of the three I would probably take door #1.

• 143 posts
    May 2, 2013 9:58 PM BST
    If there were a place and time prior to birth to have my selection - then this is a no-brainer - girl all the way. If it came out the way it did as the male outer body I have and the female mind / psyche / et al as it is and with the knowledge I now have, then like Carol the early on transition from 5 on is the way to go. The best world scenario is to then to have been born in the place and time permitting these things along with parents who are understanding and supportive, but all of that is unknown. Like the ancient philosophy notes, one cannot step into the same stream twice - also thus far physics has ruled out time travel to the past and only permits a one-way ticket to the future. So I am glad to be me, to be aware and conscious and capable enough to be on my path - though secretly wishing it faster - to be the woman in the world I see myself as. The best of it is knowing I have found myself, that these feelings and thoughts are okay, and when the bubble burst I finally found my balance point in my life. This, in itself, has made me more complete than I have been at any point ever and all the points from the past to the present and into the future with me as the woman I am makes perfect sense. 
    • 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 10:01 PM BST

Yeah but deep down inside we are female. No-one in their right mind would want to be me but looking at those pictures would you want to be the miserable looking git I used to be living as. Ok the pic was taken about 2 months after my partner died but I was never truly happy.

Females rule...........................

xxx 

• 2358 posts
    May 2, 2013 10:19 PM BST

The main point being if a person did not suffer from a Gender identity crisis, were not a transsexual, then they would'nt know any different.  life would have been a lot easier.    Not something I believe any of us would have wished for.    Yes might be other reasons wanting to be the opposite gender,   Life style, work, careers whatever.    But I don't think any of us would choose this.    The answer is making the best of the hand your dealt.   So its a rather a misnomer, what you wish for now.

Lots of things looking back I wish I had done or not done.    I might have been a happily married man, wife, kids, great career. whatever.   I would not have known any different.    Not that I am unhappy with my lot in life now.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at May 2, 2013 10:23 PM BST
    • 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 10:21 PM BST

I can't remember Julie Birchills exact words but it was something about us not knowing what its like having periods and PMT ect. Well Julie Burchill I would swap them any day for what we have to go through just to be ourselves.

• 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 10:29 PM BST

Spot on Cristine I get sick of some that say its up to you how you choose to live your life! Errr This for some is not a choice it is real life . We don't get to choose who we are! We are who we are. In my case it was be me or not be here at all xx

• May 2, 2013 10:43 PM BST

as this thread is purely speculation. As we were born to the bodies we have, & who we are.

It is impossible to say. There have been times I`ve wished my life was different. yet it has made me think about my life in general. I, as with everyone. Have had moments of dispair, heartbreak

& tragidy. Yet on the whole, I`ve lived a life, that for the most part i wouldn`t change. These days for sure, I`m probably the most settled, & at peace, with myself, I`ve ever been. Once I got a handle on my urge to dress. I pretty much accepted it as just part of what makes me, me. So my involvement in this thread is purely as an exercise in using my imagination.  I got the feeling at the start of it Julia, that it was posted as a bit of fun. I still would`ve liked a bigger bum though. If I could`ve chosen.

• 376 posts
    May 2, 2013 11:18 PM BST

Yes Daisy it is speculation and I am so pleased you are at peace with yourself. You are a very thoughtful and thought provoking person and I am proud to have you as a friend. We are who we are and I started this as just a thought that came to me. I do not want to be anyone else! I am proud of who I am , its been a long hard journey but on it I have made some very good friends and most of all been able to help others through what I have learned  and that has been very important to me and them .

Julia xx

This post was edited by Former Member at May 2, 2013 11:19 PM BST
  • May 2, 2013 11:41 PM BST

Thank you Julia, I`m proud to be your friend too. I believe you are probably one of the most caring of people here. I also liked what Rachel, had to say. That she would want to be a compassionate woman. Aware of the problems of being transexual. I`m not quoting verbatum here. i always remember saying to my ex. That if i was a woman, I`d have to be a lesbian. Her response was "that`s coz you think like a man!" So taking that point. Asking who or what would you prefer to be. Thinking about some of the responses here. Are you thinking mostly as women trapped in the wrong body. Or are you thinking as a man who wants to be a woman?  Possibly your question is a lot more complex, than at first appears. Would you want to be born a woman, but still be who you are?. Coz you wouldn`t be would you!

• 376 posts
    May 3, 2013 12:21 AM BST

Thank you Daisy that is very touching. My friends are my life and you are part of my life xxx.

• 77 posts
    May 4, 2013 5:39 PM BST
    I think for myself I would want to be a man because thats how I have always seen myself. At age 3 I would freakout when anyone used feminem terms for me. I think it would have been nice to have been born as a man instead of trying to become one. Though I wouldnt be the person I am now if I had been born biologically a man. I probably would be the typical sterotype of a man. Being a FtoM transgender has given me the ability to see both worlds and has made me more diverse and open minded.
    • 376 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:36 PM BST

Hi Jasper. I have only met a few Female to Males in my life ,you seem to be very rare , in a way that makes you very special as like a precious metal so to speak.

I think we all would choose to be who were supposed to be , my respect goes to you.

Take care and best wishes  , Julia x

• 77 posts
    May 4, 2013 10:06 PM BST
    Thank you, that means a lot.
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    March 31, 2014 12:26 AM BST
    Kate Mueller said:

My first thought was be to be a natural woman.  That would be much easier than trying to become one!! Plus there are certain parts of womanhood I would like to experience that a man, or even a transgendered woman will never know.  My second thought on this subject was to be me, the same man I am, but without the tendancy to cross dress and without any gender issues.  Sometimes living two lives gets a bit stressful and confusing so I could live without the angst.  My final thought would be me but with a bit more freedom to dress whenever and wherever I wanted and a slightly more feminine body so that I could pass much more easily.  The first two choices would definitely make life easier and less confusing.  However there are a lot of advantages to being able to be a man or a woman as I choose.  I guess if I were forced at gunpoint to choose one of the three I would probably take door #1.

I arrived at this thread after reading Kate's post. It summarizes pretty closely what my response would be too : )