“Crossdresser” or “Transgender”?

• 84 posts
    May 9, 2013 12:00 PM BST

I copied this from someone on facebook cos I thought it might be interesting. I think its written by an american so the word transgender is presumably interchangeable with transsexual.

What is the difference between a “Crossdresser” and a “Transgender”?
    ... I hope I can answer this simply and accurately. First, these are the definitions at dictionary.com:
    Cross-dress [kraws-dres, kros-] verb (used without object) 1. To dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.
    Trans•gen•der [trans-jen-der, tranz‐] noun 1. A person appearing or attempting to be a member of the opposite sex, as a transsexual or habitual cross-dresser.
    Here is a great little piece I received from my Facebook friends over at Crossdresser Heaven. It is written by a MtF woman who has already undergone HRT, FFS and SRS. She provides some great positive insight for those wondering if they are more than just a crossdresser.
    How Do I Know if I’m Transgender?
    ■You consider yourself a woman: Crossdressers enjoy being woman for a time, but still consider themselves to be a man. Many are even happy being a man, and indulging their feminine persona a few times a week or month is all they need. Even if they fantasize about being transformed into a woman, crossdressers never seriously consider this to be a long term way of life. Transgenders feel an intense cognitive dissonance between the genders of their mind and body. For me this manifested itself in a constant ‘mind static’ that pervaded every moment. I couldn’t enjoy the fullness of life because of a birth defect that placed me in the wrong body. For some it gets so serious that they seriously consider suicide as the only solution.
    ■It’s about who you are, not the clothes: For many crossdressers the infatuation with the feminine revolves around their appearance. The clothes, the makeup, the impossibly high heels. Even for crossdressers who strive to blend in, it’s about being feminine. Being feminine feels good and exciting. For transgenders the entire experience doesn’t revolve around the accessories of gender expression. Another common refrain is, “How do you tell the transgenders at a transgender conference?”, “They’re the ones wearing jeans”. It’s about who you are, not who you appear to be.
    ■You take the good with the bad: Transgenders realize that there is no escaping being a woman. No time off for good behavior. We can’t decide to be a man for a certain circumstance just because it would be easier. While we may lament the discrimination we face as women it doesn’t factor in to whether we are a woman.
    ■Womanhood is messy reality, not an idealized fantasy: If your sole experience of womanhood is as a fantasy, then you don’t have enough information to say that you’re transgender. Many crossdressers only experience what they consider the ‘highlights’ of womanhood (It’s another post as to why I don’t believe these are the actual highlights). Nights out feeling sensual, or safe gatherings dressed in their finest feminine attire. The truth is that womanhood isn’t quite as clean or elegant. Many transgender woman experience and embraced the messy reality of womanhood before transitioning. If you’re wondering, seek out every day experiences as a woman.
    Embrace Who You Are
    Gender Identity isn’t a game that you win by being more feminine. The only way to win is to discover where you are on the spectrum, and accept yourself unconditionally. If you’re not transgender, that’s okay. If you are, that’s okay too.

• May 9, 2013 1:10 PM BST

In the main the article is fairly accurate - although most natal women that I know do enjoy getting 'all glammed up' for a night out and this includes high heels, nice dress/outfit and makeup.  Yes, most of us wear jeans and tops a lot too, especially in the winter.

• 84 posts
    May 9, 2013 1:23 PM BST

Its interesting that your observations are about the clothes.

• May 9, 2013 1:38 PM BST

Not really Layla, clothes are important to most women,and like I said, I agreed with a lot of points in it and therefore it wasn't really necessary for me to make further comment here, it was only really pertinent to add something that I thought needed highlighting

• 84 posts
    May 10, 2013 11:39 AM BST

I was only teasing ya dope

xxxxx

• May 10, 2013 2:48 PM BST

I know Layla - I know your sense of humour, but others might not, so i thouht it best to expand and clarify, for their benefit

xxx

• 28 posts
    May 17, 2013 8:52 AM BST

For some odd reason the crossdressers I know,  like to wear horrendous clothes. Very tight-fitting mini skirts, 6 inch heels, fishnets,  loads of make up and very bad wigs.Embarassed

Not me. I've always been attracted to the 1950s woman. Smart and sexy, without looking like a wh***.

Even today in 2013, many women wear clothes similar to the 1950s. Heels, pencil skirts and blouses. And they're the clothes I like wearing too.Cool  But obviously with a modern feel.

This post was edited by Kitty Koil at May 17, 2013 8:55 AM BST