IPS rejects calls for X marker for gender non-conforming people

• June 18, 2013 10:03 AM BST

The IPS (Identity and Passport Services) has rejected calls to allow people who are gender non-comforming to have an 'X' marker against their gender on their passports citing difficulties in getting searches done by a person of the appropriate gender to conduct the searches as one of the main reasons.  What is wrong with simply asking that person who they would prefer to be searched by??

Full report in Pink News:- http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/04/22/uk-deputy-lib-dem-leader-really-disappointed-at-ips-rejection-of-trans-and-intersex-inclusive-passports/

• 0 posts
    June 18, 2013 10:32 AM BST
    Carol Uren (Site Moderator) said:

What is wrong with simply asking that person who they would prefer to be searched by??

rofl.

Droll Carol, very droll.

:-)

This post was edited by Former Member at June 18, 2013 10:34 AM BST
  • June 18, 2013 10:39 AM BST

There is on consideration the condrum,    How do female officers, custom and excise feel about searching pre-op transexuals with the gender marker female on their passports?

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9219/passports-uk

And why does everything have to be light hearted or droll, its a well founded post.

• 0 posts
    June 18, 2013 10:54 AM BST

There should be no conundrum. What does the sex of the customs officer have to do with anything unless someone desires to have their baby.

>> Carol said: difficulties in getting searches done by a person of the appropriate gender to conduct the searches

There is a risk of repeating the error of sexism. There are male and female nurses for example. In such cases the patient has the dignity of choice in electing who does the necessary procedures.  The same protocol should apply to clients moving through customs. I remember all too clearly when I had to move through customs, there was no way that two males were going to conduct a search on me. And they didn't. 

Cristine, Shye (GS Admin) said:

There is on consideration the condrum.    How do female officers, custom and excise feel about searching pre-op transexuals with the gender marker female on their passports?

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9219/passports-uk

And why does everything have to be light hearted or droll, its a well founded post.

I thought it was funny. 

This post was edited by Former Member at June 18, 2013 10:56 AM BST
  • June 18, 2013 10:54 AM BST

at the end of the day her argument in the news report is completly pointless and redundant

if its NS wouldnt it make sense to adopt this [x] so that ppl wouldnt be miss lead her argument is terrible and clearly was just thrown out there for the sake of blocking the movement perhaps for personal views as that argument is completely contradictory to its reasoning

if i get a [F] but still have my male parts ppl might see that as missleading and could be a threat to NS and same if iv got a [M] but completely pass as female ... if i had [X][F] then it would be clear to them and i would trust a professional member of staff at customs to respect me and call me miss etc