Transitioning

• 364 posts
    July 11, 2013 10:50 AM BST

I watched an interview on Australian television last week of an Army officer who is transitioning (m2f) and who has the support of her Army chief.

She presented herself well in dress and speech. I was interested in one of her comments that she would never consider herself as a women because she was unable to give birth to a child and would just consider herself as a transsexual. This is not the thoughts of the many TS I have had contact on this and other sites who like to call themselves women. 

• 2017 posts
    July 11, 2013 12:53 PM BST

Labels are just that, labels, and a person will call themselves what they percieve themselves to be. I can understand her point of view and it's really not important. What is important is that legally, she would be considered fully female and would therefore have the protection of the law. Perhaps she is proud of being transsexual and wears the title with pride as many do. Not everyone tries to hide their past life. 

• July 11, 2013 10:27 PM BST

Whilst I don't shout it out, I think its important to remember where we came from, what we have overcome and the goals we have achieved.   the main thing is not to deceive anyone, especially when dating or entering a relationship.   To do so is delusionary and dishonest.

• July 20, 2013 9:01 PM BST

I consider myself female, and frankly do not even like the word "trans" anything.  I see it as a process of evolution within ones existence here on this planet.  I think of my transition like I do when a catipillar turns into a butterfly.  I look at nature for my answers because we are all from nature.  One thing that I've found interesting about the word transsexual, transgender etc. is that you can be passing and be looked at how you are and feel, but when that word is presented towards you by the same people who percieved you ex. as (female or male) their attitude changes and the way they interpret you does as well.  That is just my opinion of course.