Emotional changes when on hormones?

• 4 posts
    September 15, 2013 12:45 PM BST

Hey all,

I am not a transgender, but I would like to know about the effects of hormones.
    In the end, what I am looking for is whether hormones can take a role in the development and functioning of our brain. Directly influenced or indirectly when the body changes as a whole.
    There might be some different effects in general, talking about physical effects also, when you take them at a young age rather than at a later age. But for now I would like to keep it simple, simply because I'm new to this subject myself.

So I have some questions for all people on here that have been on ANY kind of hormone-therapy.
    What I would like to know is whether you feel there are any emotional changes changes when you take hormones. Maybe there are even feelings you actually dislike or do not have control over, but got stronger after you have started an hormone -therapy.

Thanks

• 171 posts
    September 15, 2013 3:06 PM BST
    Hi K.
    You will be informed - quite soon I imagine, by knowledgable members about the reasons, needs for and implications of taking hormones. Personally, I can't offer advice from a position of knowledge, but I have a sense that I understand your enquiry..
    Take time to reflect upon why you are asking such questions, and read and engage with people here for a while. If you send you fit - as does the issues being discussed, maybe you will start to question your very first statement. Knowledge about what being transgender is, is valuable and prospectively life changing information. A little knowledge, empathy and fun is fantastic. Hormones are anything but recreational drugs, but I understand your question as I'd also like to feel the consequences of consumption, and I know that I am transgendered.

Wait for better answers from others!

• 376 posts
    September 15, 2013 5:30 PM BST

I could give you answers and many others on here can but there is a but! Why do you want to know? Seems a bit odd to me that you feel the need to know the answers if you are not transgendered. Are you just curious or something? Did you just wake up today and think I know I will join a trans website with just one reason?.

Your profile is a bit empty to say the least and we have no clue who you are or why you are here.

Don't know if that qualifies as "Better answers" As Rachel states , but its all your getting from me until you answer my questions.

Have fun , Julia .

• 4 posts
    September 15, 2013 6:49 PM BST

Hey Julia and to others,

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, though I surely didnt (and wouldn't have liked anyway) expect YES! or NO! for an answer. This because I was hoping these questions wouldnt be "suspicious"  for you guys on here. I dont really see why this would be painfull or maybe inconvenient to answer to non-transgender or, anyway.

Also I don't know if you are putting me into a position where I have to gain GS's trust just to get my answers, or you are putting me on the spot about my own feelings. Anyway whyever, I am not having that much problems with explaining myself more. But for me there is also a "But". Please don't have any expectations on me as if I will have to "blend in" and "fit in" GS's community. I have my own motivations and reasons and I am my own "me".

So I guess here is the Big-"But".

The main reason that I am here is the get that questions answered in the best way.

Its NOT about making a decision for myself, at first it is just a guideline I could use for myself.

What the "true" reason is that I ask these questions, I don't really know, all I know is that THIS subject, about the emotional changes, is making me curious indeed. I hope thats enough. . .

• 376 posts
    September 15, 2013 7:11 PM BST

This is a tough one here and here is the reason why . Firstly if you look around this website in the forums all of the answers are there for you , it may take you some time and here is another but! You may make some friends along the way and gain their trust .

Back to your profile! It is kind of bare and myself and others know nothing about you , do you think you maybe trans? or do you have a friend or family member that is or maybe? I can do questions too.

Hang around and just use this site to find your answers , as I said they are all here but to me you are a stranger , but if I met you on the street I would be more than willing to answer any questions .

You have to be aware that this and other trans websites do get people join for the wrong reasons. We are like a family here , we act like one too , we have our good times and our bad , we fall out then make up (well I do) .

Take care .

Julia .

• September 15, 2013 8:26 PM BST

The consequences of embarking on a hormone regime are as varied and diverse as the people partaking.     In the UK the delay on being prescribed hormones, can be lengthy, so to some extent, there is a feeling of eurphoria, a placebo effect upon starting.  embarking on a journey, that many have waited years to start.   2 -3 months with some they imagine a rapid physical change, advanced breast tissue.   Very rare in reality. but prolonged taking does have its gone past date, when there is no going back.   affecting libido, from a male viewpoint, the ability to actually perform.

BUT with a true transgendered person its all preconditioned, its allready in their mind.    If you force feed a MAN with female hormones, your not going to make them think like a woman.

If you want to learn more and are realy serious try reading 

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/7790/synopsis-of-the-etiology-of-gend

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/7805/heteronormativity

You perhaps wonder why people who answer your questions are so cautious, we do get some strange requests, example, man who is not transexual, but wants to grow breasts?? but does'nt want to lose his libido and ability to perform??

• 376 posts
    September 15, 2013 8:49 PM BST

I wish my brain worked on a Sunday night Crissie . Very well put xxx

• September 16, 2013 9:45 AM BST

That should keep him busy for a few days, one does wonder, I would be interested in knowing more, as to why he needs to know.

• 376 posts
    September 16, 2013 9:55 AM BST

I just edided that! Don't want people thinking is my name is really Paris Hilton Smile or is it? x

This post was edited by Former Member at September 16, 2013 10:10 AM BST
  • September 20, 2013 5:49 PM BST

Add a bit of Trivia, lol,   The infamous Paris Hilton sex video, was actualy made in a Marriot hotel, her father was so pissed off.

• 126 posts
    September 21, 2013 12:19 PM BST

I’m going to try and answer this in an open and honest way, because that’s the person that I am.

Firstly most people here start off suspicious, because there are people here who are not in real life, the person they portray themselves as here or online generally. For example many trans people have had to get by in life through secrecy in fear of discovery, ridicule and abandonment by friends and family. For many their only source of expression of a gender other than their birth gender, is an online persona, and that’s as prevalent here as any other website, where some more than others take it to an extreme.

So to answer your question with the following caveat, that as a transitioning Transsexual awaiting surgery and having been on hormones for 13 months, I can tell you of my personal experience, but please don’t take this as a definitive answer for everyone. Everyone is different and we all have a unique path in Transition, so what’s my experience is mine and isn’t anyone or everyone else’s.

When I started taking hormones my emotions didn’t really change to begin with. I noticed physical changes first, my nipples were rock hard and very sensitive and breasts started to form fairly quickly. Emotions sort of crept up on me, but I had always been an emotional person, I just learnt at an early age that it was best if I kept them hidden inside. As I continued on my transition I found I could cry at sad things as well as happy things. I was also fearful that I would turn into an emotional and selfish Trans person who would turn every upset into a personal attack on myself, so I kept checking in with my emotions to try and prevent myself from becoming a stereotypical stroppy teenager.  I think I did all right on that one, but maybe important people to me are better able to answer?

Hormones change people in many subtle ways, they don’t change people in dramatic ways. They won’t give anyone hips, because they’re formed by ones skeleton. They can alter the fat distribution around the body, but that won’t move a beer belly to a bust. Hormones won’t give a MTF a high pitched voice. Hormones will thin out body hair and reduce it from coarse male pattern body hair to fine female body hair, but it won’t alter facial hair. Once coarse male pattern facial hair develops, the only way to remove it is through laser treatment or electrolysis, and that is permanently removing it, not reducing it to female pattern facial hair. When it comes to emotions, it can highlight them, and certainly whilst hormone levels are changing from typical male levels to female levels, emotions could go up and down a bit, but once the right level has been reached, emotions settle down. How long that takes is very much up to the individual, and no, they wont have any conscious influence in how long it takes or how great the effect will be. Time and effect have very little bearing on the quantity of hormones taken.

All of that is my experience reasonably late in life on the effects of hormones as a fully developed person, but it is not the first time I have had female hormones in my body, and this is whats probably going to interest you more. When I was conceived, my mum, fearing another miscarriage, was prescribed an implant of a synthetic hormone called Stillbestrol, which in the very early stages of development in the womb, undoubtedly did influence my development physically, mentally and emotionally.

Mandy

• 4 posts
    September 22, 2013 3:01 PM BST

Hey GS,

Thanks all for the answers. 

Especially Christine! Thats a lot to read, it has been a week now, and I am reading some of it every day i suppose and I am still reading. . .

It is very interesting information so it doesnt really bore me. Altough some articles really present some of the same information, I think it just shows that more than one study has been made to give the whole a more versatile outcome. There isn't just a single "standard" cause for transgender's identity disorder. Altough indeed science proofs a lot, what you say, Christine in one of your post, that the psychological aspect of it all might be a little neglected, tells me that in some cases science may be satisfied to early with the results of studies.

And so Mandy thank you! Your answer is also very nice.

• September 22, 2013 3:57 PM BST

I have been on hormones for several years,I was a very agressive male and angry ,but now agression is not apart of me and little things that would

make me angry dont bother me anymore,I am able to sit back and see the other side of the problems more clearly.I am also more quick to forgive and I

am able to cry at sad stories,movies and I am more sensitve to peoples needs and problems.

• 4 posts
    September 22, 2013 5:59 PM BST

Hey again,

Mandy, that last part you were talking about is indeed very interesting Cool (proffesor glasses)

Mandy Watts said:

All of that is my experience reasonably late in life on the effects of hormones as a fully developed person, but it is not the first time I have had female hormones in my body, and this is whats probably going to interest you more. When I was conceived, my mum, fearing another miscarriage, was prescribed an implant of a synthetic hormone called Stillbestrol, which in the very early stages of development in the womb, undoubtedly did influence my development physically, mentally and emotionally.

Do you have any brothers or sisters?

• 126 posts
    September 26, 2013 6:11 PM BST

YesI do K, 2 sisters and 3 brothers and I'm the only Trans person Smile