1940's night

• 2017 posts
    June 14, 2014 3:55 PM BST

With all the D-Day celebrations going on recently, some friends invited me to a 40's night of music and dance. I love that period anyway so it wasn't hard to convince me! The music is good, the clothes, despite being wartime (or perhaps because of it) were very chic and the hairstyles were so glamorous. So we had some fun trying different hairstyles, most of which we couldn't get to work even though we did everything step by step. Still, we sorted something out and went as 'land girls' or in tea dresses. It was a good night as expected, though strange seeing German soldiers mixing with English soldiers. 

So my advice to you, go and try some 40's hairstyles. They are fun, glamorous and look good today. There are plenty of Youtube lessons on them so practise your pin curls and victory rolls, or just go for big waves whcih are simple enough. 

The UK has lots of 40's clubs, dances etc if you are into it at all so next time I am there I will be popping along to a few. 

Get the rollers out and have fun! Laughing

• M G
    • 373 posts
    June 29, 2014 11:47 PM BST
    I'd love to try that look, but would need lots of help putting it together.
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    June 29, 2014 11:51 PM BST
    This just brought up memories of 'Pearl Harbor' - I wasn't there, I mean the movie of course. Sure would love to look as good as Kate Beckinsale. I love that time period and the clothes. : )
    • 2017 posts
    July 30, 2014 10:33 AM BST

The period was remarkably glamorous given the restrictions of wartime, or perhaps because of it. Hair was one thing you couldn't ration though so people were very imaginative. 

By the way, I tried pin curls, those were really hard although a friend of mine had no problem so, like many styles, it can come down to what your own hair type is to begin with. 

As for the movie Pearl Harbour, Madeline, I much prefer Tora, Tora, Tora! 

• M G
    • 373 posts
    July 30, 2014 7:15 PM BST
    Ya, the movie ain't so great, but Kate Beckinsale is : )
    • 2017 posts
    August 4, 2014 5:04 PM BST

lol, well that is true. 

• 34 posts
    August 4, 2014 10:51 PM BST

i have sat in my wardrobe the sexiest 1940's red dress, i was given it by a friend who deals in vintage clothing, its so gorgeous, i cant wait to have an excuse to wear it, i will definately get a picture when i dox

• M G
    • 373 posts
    August 5, 2014 6:33 AM BST
    Stephie Hughes said:

i have sat in my wardrobe the sexiest 1940's red dress, i was given it by a friend who deals in vintage clothing, its so gorgeous, i cant wait to have an excuse to wear it, i will definately get a picture when i dox

: )